[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw learning German The amount of authors I'll be able

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

File: strong german man.jpg (29KB, 680x536px) Image search: [Google]
strong german man.jpg
29KB, 680x536px
>tfw learning German

The amount of authors I'll be able to read in the original in time.

Holy..... I want more.....
>>
Why do you think your German would ever reach a point that its a benefit to you to read it in the original language over a professional translation?
>>
I know japanese, German, Spanish, Norwegian, and English, and I still don't think translations are all too bad.

Not to say japanese is beautifully written (I'm a lit weab)

My Norwegian sucks though. I don't know what to read
>>
>>9320610
>why would you bother having ambition?
>>
>>9320611
Is not* phoneposting while on toilet
>>
>>9320613
You greentext it, but it's a fair question, really, in light of life and its stream of shit.
>>
>>9320613
>having ambitions is good
>>
It's really not so hard for an anglophone native, our language is germanic at the core. Do you anons really have an excuse?

>>9320610
It's very fun for a Germanophile such as I, and I love being able to read translations as well as refer to the originals.

Also, poetry is pretty untranslatable.

The language is very enjoyable too, I like the logic and rhythm of it.
>>
>>9320610
>He's on /lit/ and he doesn't find pleasure in learning things
>>
>>9320611
Norwegian here. I recommend Jon Fosse. Alot of other great contemporary Norwegians have too many Norwegian refrences. I can't imagine anyone getting into Dag Solstad in translation, for example. Also Sagas. Egil Skallagrimsson saga is fantastic, just skip to page 80 or so where it starts.
>>
>>9320636
Takk skal du ha :)
>>
>>9320610
>>9320611

Languages have their own structure and world which can't come across in a translation by definition. The point isn't to enjoy German books in particular more but to enjoy the language.
>>
>>9320635
>wasting time on a shitposting forum for autistic young adults
>somehow indicative of love of learning
stop deluding yourself
>>
File: 'my name is thomas pynchon'.jpg (141KB, 509x339px) Image search: [Google]
'my name is thomas pynchon'.jpg
141KB, 509x339px
>>9320646
Really stimulates my sardines
>>
>>9320610
Why do you think your English would ever reach a point that it's a benefit to you to read Shakespeare in the original language over OMG Shakespeare?

This kind of pro and con raisonnement totally misses the point.
>>
>>9320598
Ikft bro
>tfw Hölderlin, Mann, Kafka, Goethe, Rilke
>tfw all that philosophy
It is indeed a great feel until you need to remember all the genders and declinations
>>
>>9320743
There really is something for everyone in the German language.
>>
>>9320743
>baaw my four cases are hard
Russian has 6, Latin 7, Finnish 15 and Hungarian 18. Stop being a pussy.
>>
>>9320868
You don't understand how hard it is for native English speakers to learn other languages. I envy you Europeans who grow up knowing three or four.
>>
>>9320868
I'm at the point where I can get the cases right almost all of the time without thinking about it too much. The three genders are what fucks me up because there is no clear rule to determine a word's gender and without that, you cannot declinate right and the whole grammatical structure collapses.

German is actually my 4th language but in terms of grammar it's the trickiest I've ever learned. I enjoy the language and the learning process tho.
>>
>>9320610
lol try reading any of the godawful kafka translations
>>
>>9320874
It's not tho

T. English Student in German III
>>
I'm able to read German works in the original, but at a frustratingly slow pace.

Italian is my current focus, though.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDlMVLzYdyQ
>>
>>9320868
English has two, so one never learns to differentiate objects. Having the ability to read multiple object cases in another language is a huge boon.

That's the the mountain one needs to climb to read, there is also the issue of learning German phrase logic.

Reading isn't hard, few people learn languages orally.
>>
File: Masterpiece.jpg (30KB, 660x371px) Image search: [Google]
Masterpiece.jpg
30KB, 660x371px
>>9320598
now you can read the classics
>>
>>9320868
Latin has 6 cases.
>>
>learning Attic Greek to jump to Homeric and then to Koine
>learning Japanese for dat dere haiku and other narrative classics of the 20th century

Feels good man
>>
Oh, yeah? Well, i've learned the 59 characters in sanskrit
>>
>>9321024
>thinking German III indicates any sort of proficiency in the German language

ayy lmao
>>
Wirst du Mein Kampf lesen?
>>
>>9320983
Muir is pretty decent,imo. Then again, I can't speak/read German.
>>
>>9322529
Bump your mom's fat ass. This is a slow board.
>>
German literature? Can't imagine it possesses many works worth learning the language to fully absorb.

(inb4 mein kampf)
>>
>>9322565
This. There are some interesting works in German literature, but nothing really that would wow me and want me wanna throw down everything and pick up a book of a particular author. Yes, there's Goethe, Kafka and a few others, but I don't think they warrant learning a new language or making yourself go through the trouble of having to translate every 3rd word.

t. German
>>
>>9322587
Name more interesting works, please.
I'll name you some I already know and you can add whatever you like best:

Thomas Mann, Alfred Döblin, Wolf von Niebelschütz, Günther Grass, Georg Büchner, Adalbert Stifter, Theodor Fontane, Thomas Bernhard, Hans Henny Jahnn, Robert Walser, Heinrich von Kleist, Joseph Roth, Bruno Frank, Klabund, Hölderlin, Angelus Silesius, Rilke, Benn, Bruno Wille, Carl Spitteler, Gerhat Hauptmann, Detlev von Liliencron, Georg Christoph Lichtenberg, Jean Paul, Lessing, Theodor Storm, Karl Kraus, E.T.A. Hoffmann, Else Lasker-Schüler, Paul Celan, Arno Holz, Franz Grillparzer, Frank Wedekind, Kloppstock, Hugo von Hofmannsthal, Max Dauthendey, Meyrink, Wassermann, Nestroy, Sternheim, Mörike, Christian Dietrich Grabbe, Brecht, Heine, Klaus Groth, Richard Dehmel, Stefan George usw.
>>
>>9322587
As a philosophyfag, German is probably the single most important language to learn in my field, even above Ancient Greek.
>>
>>9322689
Not the guy you were asking, but here have some.

>Medieval
Walther von der Vogelweide, Hildegard von Bingen, Martin Luther

>Barock
Martin Opitz, Andreas Gryphius, Paul Fleming, Jakob Christoffel von Grimmelshausen, Christian Hoffmann von Hoffmannswaldau

>Aufklärung (Enlightenment)
Immanuel Kant, Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz, Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

>Sturm und Drang & Weimarer Klassik
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Johann Gottfried Herder, Friedrich Schiller, Christoph Martin Wieland

>Romanticism
E.T.A. Hoffmann, Novalis, Clemens Brentano, Joseph Freiherr von Eichendorff

>Biedermeier
Franz Grillparzer, Eduard Mörike

>Vormärz
Heinrich Heine, Georg Büchner, Georg Herwegh

>Realism
Theodor Fontane, Gottfried Keller

>Naturalism
Carl und Gerhart Hauptmann, Henrik Ibsen

>Expressionism
Georg Heym, Georg Trakl, Gottfried Benn

>New Objectivity
Bertolt Brecht, Ödön von Horvath, Erich Kästner, Heinrich Mann, Kurt Tucholsky

>Modernity
Franz Kafka, Hermann Hesse, Thomas Mann, Robert Musil, Rainer Maria Rilke, Arthur Schnitzler
>>
File: bernhard.jpg (94KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
bernhard.jpg
94KB, 500x500px
>>9322716
Don't forget this guy.
>>
>>9320598
>germany will die

t. german dude
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.