[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A lot of people here seem to be what I would call pragmatic Christians.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: kierkegaard2_360x450[1].jpg (183KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
kierkegaard2_360x450[1].jpg
183KB, 800x1000px
A lot of people here seem to be what I would call pragmatic Christians.

That is, they were not brought up in the religion. Instead they've found religion through studying and theory, and have decided that it has practical application as to how to lead a good, moral life.

I'm just curious as to how you guys got there, what your motivation was, and whether you could recommend any literature to an atheist at a kind of moral crossroads.

I'm also welcome to suggestions of good moral atheistic literature.
>>
I was raised evangelical and but then fucked off because >lel proddies
Right now I don't quite fit into any church but I'm thinking of either catholic or orthodox, I don't particularly like much of the doctrine surrounding the papacy, especially ex cathedra infallibility and the temporal power he has
>>
>>9319867
Revelation. You read the Bible and it's just manifestly superior to non-inspired literature.
>>
Marriage is a useful social construct, this is why I am personally tempted to return to the church. I find it difficult to imagine loving another human being without an adequate social contract. I feel like without those rigid structures there's nothing stopping me or my potential partner from fucking around, abandoning the child and emotionally abusing eachother. There has to be a consensus on how both parties are to act within a relationship. I know a lot of that comes from common sense and learned behaviour but it's nice to have foundations that stop us from being hyper self-aware all the time(might be bullshutting here, not sure if that makes sense)

Anyway I have a suspicion that the true reason most people consider "pragmatic christianity" or organised religion in general is the sexual morality. I think refusing to murder people and respecting property rigths is common sense, but interacting with the opposite sex is a fucking mind field. I'm pretty sure most people are relying on Disney movies and TV shows at this point.
>>
>>9319899
I find myself in a similar position. I'm drawn to socially conservative ideas simply because I think the moral structures are both useful and the only way to find any purpose in life. Unfortunately I don't think I could ever convince myself to believe in a religion. I want to have my cake and eat it.
>>
>>9319899
Not to mention celebrity personalities like Rihanna, Beyoncé, Bieber, the Kardashians.
>>
>>9319867
Christianity on /lit/ is a combination of reaction to mainstream social liberalism typical of 4chan and a desire to seem more learned by invoking the literary tradition of Christianity
>>
>>9319934
I imagine that might be true in many cases. There are a few arrogant Christians here who refuse to accept criticisms. They're the flip-side to the new atheism. I genuinely believe there are people looking for structure and meaning though, and yes, that may be in part a reaction to mainstream liberalism.
>>
>>9319934
And half a dozen people who are being genuine, yannow.
>>
>>9319954
They are vastly outnumbered by people who just want an intellectual foundation for reactionary beliefs. Reaction comes first, Christianity is the foundation not for any reason related to its message but because it is part of Western Tradition and is a core part of a Western Identity that is perceived to have been lost, at least to many people on here. In the good old days, you know, women knew their place, Christian social norms kept Stacies from being too slutty, there were no open gays or transexuals, and the average channer-type would have a higher social status and would be guaranteed a stable marriage. When do you ever see 4chan Christians talking about good works or forgiveness? Practically never. It's all about sluts or crusading or trying to appear superior to others.
>>
>>9319976
I don't think they're actually Christians anon, it's just shitposting.

The people that do seem to actually care get laughed st for having a slave mentality or they just get called cucks.

I guess that's better than the discourse on Islam here, which is well below a middle school level
>>
File: 1489771901428.jpg (600KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1489771901428.jpg
600KB, 1920x1080px
>>9319867
I'm both. Raised Christian, converted to Catholicism.
I always had a predisposition to philosophy ever since I was little, I read and read and then slowly atheists started to seem like stunted brainlets no matter how advanced they were, 99% couldn't even read Aquinas and the ones that could were hegelians. They would read the quinque viae and say something like "but who made God?" or "But that's special pleading!"
Then I realized it; the truth is that these people are living a completely different life than me, the only thing that mattered to me was philosophy, I will probably never not have bags under my eyes because of that. But for the others it was just an after-school activity, they had lives to live, they never experienced what I did, they have a totally different mindset, and in reality I'm just a fucking broken person or an anomaly. That's what I think makes a Catholic, he has to be broken somehow, otherwise he can't see through the veil of his own life.
>>
>>9320227
On the other hand, perhaps your difference is that through study and consequent earnestness youre more willing than most, or able, to admit your own brokenness? That you have no choir to preach to is a good thing. Who knows? Perhaps, in time, you'll actually have something to say.
>>
>>9319976
/pol/'s gonna get thrown into Gehenna during the Second Coming. At least some of them, anyway.
>>
File: 1478638714315.jpg (302KB, 992x744px) Image search: [Google]
1478638714315.jpg
302KB, 992x744px
>>9319899
>becoming a christian because you don't want to get cucked

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Convert to Islam instead.
>>
>>9319884
literally same thing happened to me
go Anglican or Orthodox
>>
>>9321098
I'm honestly waiting for the Right to convert to Islam with Aryan values. Hitler approved of Islam while viewing the Arabs as an inferior race.
>>
>>9319867
can someone explain how following a religion isnt just deluding yourself for comfort?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.