[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is anyone with kids or younger relatives participating in this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 1000BooksLogo.jpg (1MB, 2178x1980px) Image search: [Google]
1000BooksLogo.jpg
1MB, 2178x1980px
Is anyone with kids or younger relatives participating in this? What do you think about it?

When you were that young, did your parents/siblings/etc read books to you regularly?
>>
>>9315172
My mom read books to me all the time and taught me phonics before kindergarten. She'd also buy me lesson plan books so she could homeschool me during the summer.
>>
>>9315172
I'm planning to do it with my kid. I've got 200 of the books so far, with another 450 or so picked out to buy. I'm not really planning on counting rereads, which I know some parents do.

My mom read to me regularly, and I could read the first level I Can Read books by age 3. Hoping my kid will turn our similarly.
>>
>>9315172
It is offered in my library, but I dont read hundreds of 20 page picture books to my daughters, I read them chapter books with pictures. A half chapter of wind and the willows every night before bed takes about 2 months to complete, and the hobbit took us like 1 month.

tl:dr, only pleb soccer moms reading dora books to their kids can do this.
>>
>>9315305
>your entire comment
>I'm #notlikeothermoms

Picture books help build up your child's vocabulary and introduce them to the concept of storytelling, characters, narration, etc. It's great that your children are magic geniuses and you will ONLY read them chapter books because all other books are beneath you, but deriding other parents for reading babies and toddlers shorter stories that they like is ridiculous.

Also, it's pretty sad that the only books you read your children are once a night before bedtime.
>>
>>9315305
Friendly reminder that reading TO your kids is detrimental and creates lazy readers, reading a book at the same time as your kid is top tier.
>>
>>9315332
Not so friendly reminder that 5 year olds can read 3-4 word sentences at best, and 3 year olds cannot read at all.
>>
>>9315332
The challenge is for kids who aren't yet in kindergarten, and most kids start kindergarten at about 5 years old so they aren't likely to have learned to read yet.
>>
>>9315338
And since the challenge is considered to start for newborns, yeah...

Fucking newborn, shits its diapers and won't even read along with me.
>>
>>9315264
>picked out to buy

Why not use the library? That sounds like a lot of money
>>
>>9316414
But children's books are really cheap. Even brand new, a lot of board books are $3-4 on Amazon. And I only buy new for some, like lift-the-flap types (since I don't imagine they hold up very well when used).

I'd rather own them than use the library, since they don't cost much and it's an enjoyable thing to buy. That's my reasoning for why I own so many (adult) books too.

Children's books are also a lot more likely to get destroyed, so if I checked them out from the library, it's possible I'd end up paying for them anyway.
>>
>>9316443
>But children's books are really cheap.

Where do you live? I'm just curious, in stores around me children's board books are usually $6-10, and hardcover picture books [like The Day the Crayons Quit, etc] are about $15-20 new.
>>
File: kidsbooks.jpg (2MB, 1348x4021px) Image search: [Google]
kidsbooks.jpg
2MB, 1348x4021px
>>9316515
I live in Texas, but I mostly buy books online, so.

The one's I've bought on Amazon have all been less than $5--sometimes you'll see them upcharged, like I know The Hungry Caterpillar is always around $8. But prices on Amazon are never steady, and the not-hugely-popular ones will dip very low on occasion. Since I have them all in a wishlist, I just go to it and sort by lowest price every now and then to see what's cheap at the moment. That's for more than just children's books, it's a method I've used for my own book buying too.

In physical stores, yeah, they're always overly expensive. I bought one in Target on a whim that cost $12 that I could've got for $4 on Amazon. Felt dumb.

Also, like I said, I almost always buy used--mainly on ThriftBooks. I'm grabbing up the Mo Willems Pigeon stuff most recently, as a lot of them dropped to ~$3.50.

pic is what I have so far btw, several dozen were leftovers from my own childhood
>>
>>9316591
Ahh okay, that makes sense, I never think to check Amazon for books. I just checked now and a number of popular picture books are 50% off!

You should definitely check out ebay at the end of the school year and end of the summer. Teachers are always selling huge lots of children's books to clear out their classroom libraries!

Also nice taste! Especially the fairy tale books by that one Japanese artist. I love that version of the Little Mermaid. The Deborah Hautzig version is lovely too. Do you have a wishlist image as well? Or I suppose it would be too big!
>>
File: chihiro_iwasaki_tulips.jpg (2MB, 2991x4252px) Image search: [Google]
chihiro_iwasaki_tulips.jpg
2MB, 2991x4252px
>>9316626
I'll definitely check out Ebay around those times, thanks for the suggestion! I haven't got any Eric Carle yet, since I was hoping to buy a lot at once in some kind of mass Ebay lot kind of like that.

I'm so happy I found Chihiro Iwasaki, I'm thinking of getting some prints to decorate the nursery with.

I don't mind sharing a link to it: a.co/5xXbVbb (you can see the way-too-many other wishlists I have for books too)
>>
>>9316685
Thanks for sharing! It's great that you're so dedicated to building a good library collection.

You should be able to find Carle books in a lot for a reasonable price, any popular/well-known authors are prime for ebay lots.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.