[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is genre fiction frowned upon by literature snobs, yet some

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: godfather.jpg (41KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
godfather.jpg
41KB, 600x900px
Why is genre fiction frowned upon by literature snobs, yet some genre films are among the most critically acclaimed of all time?
>>
>>9315020
Those movies are not competing with Shakespeare.
Maybe in 1000 years from now we'll get a cinema's Dante, and at that point people will be able to be snobbish about the Godfather too.
>>
> yet some genre films are among the most critically acclaimed of all time?
by who? by /tv/? your mom?
to say godfather is critically acclaimed film is like to say harry potter is critically acclaimed book
my ex pleb girlfriend loves stephen king and godfather, interesting
>>
>>9315020
Becuz movies are for plebs?
>>
>>9315030
You should probably only speak about the media with which you're actually familiar
>>
>>9315020
Idk I see film snobs who shit on Tarantino films and Star Wars but love Bergman, Tarkovsky, and Ozu all the time.
>>
>>9315030
>Those movies are not competing with Shakespeare
>They are literally competing with movies based on Shakespeare plays
>>
I find The Godfather absurdly boring.
>>
Godfather isn't even on a top one thousand list among people who actually watch film lad.
>>
Quality in cinema and quality in literature aren't even remotely the same.
>>
>>9315225
Shakespeare plays are not written for this medium, and its craft has much to do with literature and nothing to do with cinematography. At best you can ssay that there are movies that use plots taken from Shakespeare plays.

>>9315039
It's still a young art, the absolute best directora you can name are still less deliberate and sophisticated than the absolute best poets/writers/composers/painters you can name.
The medium is counky (it needs usually lots of people to be some sort of fluid operation), money is a major factor and the technology is still imrpving by the day. There are great artists in cinema, but there is no Dante, Rembrandt and Beethoven yet.
>>
>>9315053
Tarantino is shit though. Without going into his pathetic attempt at western, you can see that even pulp fiction uses cheap macguffin plot device.
>>
File: squint.jpg (5KB, 233x217px) Image search: [Google]
squint.jpg
5KB, 233x217px
>>9315242
>"directora"
>>
>>9315242
If Shakespeare is so great then how come none of his "comedies" were ever as funny as The Simpsons?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.