[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've tried posting this on /his/ but no one seemed to answer.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: joyce3.jpg (174KB, 899x1424px) Image search: [Google]
joyce3.jpg
174KB, 899x1424px
I've tried posting this on /his/ but no one seemed to answer. Anyways i've been a long time lurker and i believe curriculum of these subjects are highly relevant to literary culture. So the question goes: If you could enroll to any university in the world BUT you'd have to chose between studying Psychology or Sociology, which one would you chose and why?

>inb4 Lacan, Marx, Freud, Derrida, Focault, Deleuze etc. have nothing to do with Literature.
>>
>>9314826
>Lacan, Marx, Freud, Derrida, Focault, Deleuze etc.
>even daring to put Marx in the same sentence as those charlatans
>>
>Psychology or Sociology, which one would you chose and why?
Is this a joke? If I was in such abysmal mental shape I'd choose a piece of rope.
>>
>>9314826
>If you could enroll to any university in the world BUT you'd have to chose between studying Psychology or Sociology, which one would you chose and why?

Suicide
>>
>>9314826
https://youtu.be/Q1yrH4qS2RA?t=419
>>
You're probably not going to be studying any of those in either Sociology or Psychology in the Anglosphere. Both fields in the US/UK/Canada at least are highly quantitative and clinically based.

My Psych major friends are the biggest fucking plebs I know. The most they've done other than crunch numbers on computers is read 50 pages of Piaget in first year. I knew a Sociology PhD who spent 5 years on a thesis about the number of people who go to a certain kind of gym during certain seasons, and then wanted to kill himself.

You might be interested in something like Social Thought instead. But a lot of these things are spread across Literature, Comparative Literature, History, sometimes Philosophy, etc.
>>
>>9314911
>>9314918
lel
>>9314826
I really don't know, OP. Who not philosophy? You have to tell us your endgame. I think pyschology is more interesting than sociology, the individual is more interesinting and more worth studying than the mass of apes tbqh imho, lad.
>>
>>9314937
>My Psych major friends are the biggest fucking plebs I know.
I know one that is actually pretty clever and more well read than me, at least in philosophy, but yeah the average Psych undergrad student are vapid girls who could never relate to someone with some kind of mental illness, it seems like they just want to feel better than people that study finance or whatever because "we actually care about people ya know society totally sucks we are gonna change it"
Pretty much same with sociology, pretty much the same with education in general. It is what it is I guess.
>>
>>9314880
>Being this much of an essentialist

>>9314932
Always appreciate the Hyde.

>>9314937
What's up mr. Folk Psychology. But yeah i agree the discourse in US/UK/Canada about psychology, trait theory, evolutionary psychology and statistic is absolutely sad. Some universities in europe still hold a high, qualitative standard.

>>9314943
Philosophy is a no-go because of masturbational selfdoubting and a non-appreciated degree. I mean often with sociology and psychology you qualify to do some work in society which in a more direct approach helps people.

>>9314965
You're correct. There are still some hidden gems once in a while though.
>>
>>9315615
Philosophy majors do better than those other low lifes. If you don't appreciate philosophy you will be a total hack in psych/sociology.
>>
>>9314826

University of Vincennes, obviously. It's still heavily focused on left-wing postmodern social sciences. I think it's called Université de Saint-Denis (Paris 8) now.
>>
>>9314880
>>9314911
>>9314918
/lit/ is philistine as usual again
>>9314937
This.
Except you won't get anything from academia. You've grouped together a bunch of authors whose work is totally disparate, there's nothing to group them other than their reception in the United States as 'French Theory' or 'poststructuralism', which is basically nonsense. Most of what is taught in classes is by dilettante teachers who have had to latch onto literary theory to secure jobs and grants and don't know what they're talking about.

Psychology is only worthwhile if training as a psychoanalyst or getting involved in psychoanalysis for cultural reasons. Good psychoanalysis has it's own schools and institutions and isn't tied to any university, so you can attend seminars there if you'd like, or read analyst's books.

Sociology is another thing which is worthless studying in university, you will find a very insipid and underspirited bunch there too.

In short, don't go to university, or if you do do it as a pragmatic compromise.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.