[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How should one go about reading the Bible? Just chronologically?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: unnamed.png (57KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
57KB, 300x300px
How should one go about reading the Bible? Just chronologically? Anything one should do in terms of framing? I understand it is quite a large book with a lot of penmen.
>>
>>9314525
There are nth bible threads already up, faggot. Piss off.
>>
You could read it chronologically, although i don't think that's the best way to go through it initially.

I'd say go back and forth between reading epistles and some books in the Old Testament. Such as, read like Romans, or Galatians or something, and after you read two chapters you could read like 7 of Genesis, Judges etc.

While a lot of the Epistles were written for Jewish Christians/Greek proselytes some also had an audiance in mind that were largely come from recent previous pagans, and so they do a good job of explaining the relevancy of The Old Testament and it's laws and how they point to Christ.

Just read like like 3-4 chapters in The Old Testament for every in The New Testament, but reading them back and forth is the best way to start in my honest opinion.

A list of books to start with in no order:

Genesis, Exodus, Judges, 1-2 Samuel, 1-2 Chronicles, Proverbs, Psalms, any of the Gospels, Acts, Romans 1 Corinthians, Galatians.

Hebrews is really great after you go through several of these. After you do those, a prophetic book, I'd recommend Jeremiah to start with, or Amos for something smaller.
>>
You generally want to read it in order if you haven't read it before. A lot of thought was put into the order of these books by the church for a very good reason, and that's because the entire collection of the books that is the bible make up a single narrative, the story of our salvation complete with a beginning middle and end.

>>9314665
>A list of books to start with in no order:
>Genesis, Exodus, Judges, 1-2 Samuel, 1-2 Chronicles, Proverbs, Psalms, any of the Gospels, Acts, Romans 1 Corinthians, Galatians.

You would read Exodus before Genesis? How would somebody even understand the Psalms without first knowing the history of Israel? There's a lot of problems with this sort of approach to scripture, one of them being that it presumes knowledge of scripture before it is even read. You can't just start anywhere and be able to study effectively.
>>
Just read it.
>>
>>9314525
>Just chronologically?
not really possible because the bible isn't presented chronologically
for a start the four gospels are alternative viewpoints of the same time period. you can't read them chronologically without flipping from one to the other.
might as well just read it in the order it is printed. it's all a load of old bollocks after all.
>>
>>9315045
Different anon here

>You would read Exodus before Genesis?
No, Genesis leads directly into Exodus, which leads into Numbers, which leads into Joshua. Also there's no way you need to read Chronicles first time round, half of it is name lists.

If you want a narrative throughline from creation to the return of the jews from exile:

Genesis
Exodus (skip chapters 25 to 31)
Numbers (skip the first 8 chapters)
Deutoronomy chapter 34
Joshua
Judges
1 Samuel
2 Samuel
1 Kings
2 Kings
Daniel chapters 1 to 6
Ezra
(maybe Nehemiah but it's kinda boring)

Optional: 1 Maccabees (not in the protestant canon)

Then read the 4 gospels, followed by Acts.

I would personally recommend this because a lot of the more poetic and theological stuff fits into this framework. It will also explain who Paul was before you get into his letters which are a major part of the New Testament. But everyone's different.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.