[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we talk about Solzhenitsyn? I've read One Day in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

Can we talk about Solzhenitsyn? I've read One Day in the Life Of Ivan Denisovich and Cancer Ward; I enjoyed both of them tremendously but I don't know what to read next. I'm interested in August 1914, but I have a specific recollection of an old professor saying the Red Wheel was an incredibly dry and fatiguing read that he couldn't recommend.

Does anybody have suggestions? My only criterion is that it has to exist in a translated form besides Michael Glenny's. I've been consistently disappointed in his work, not to mention his editions are older and thus frequently drawn from expurgated manuscripts.
>>
>>9314457
I'm reading In The First Circle for a course, it's pretty good though some people are finding it to be too dense and dry. Also the "complete" edition titled "In The First Circle" opposed to just "The First Circle" has only had an English translation for less than a decade so it's hard to find cheap. I'd still recommend it though.
>>
>he still can't speak Russian
>>
>>9314679
>he thinks speaking Russian in today's day and age is at all relevant or useful

honestly if you spend any time learning any language outside of English, Mandarin, or Arabic, you're wasting your time
>>
>>9314690
why include arabic over spanish

t. not a spaniard or latino just genuinely think it's at least equally relevant (practically) and more interesting for a lit kind of guy specifically
>>
>>9314704
Learning Spanish (and French) would be for purely aesthetic interests. There is no economic benefit to be had by learning these languages.
>>
>>9314690
>Mandarin and Arabic are relevant at all
Kek. Why even reply if you have no clue about languages?
>inb4 my 20 gorillion speakers
>>
>>9314714
>economic benefit to be had by learning languages
>it's a teenager ponders on business topics episode
There are none, no matter the language.
>>
>>9314679
OP here. Actually, I can! Hence why I know Glenny's work ranges from mediocre down to utter dogshit. But my language skills are attenuating and it takes me a very long time to read novels in anything besides English.

If I had actual dedication and work ethic, I would take this as a sign that I absolutely need to do more reading in Russian, but alas.

>>9314690
Everyone wastes time. Not all time wasting is the same, however.

>>9314667
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll look into it.
>>
>>9314730
Well....inglés.........maybeeeee......maybe not......
>>
>>9314714
>economic benefit of learning a language

wew lad. It's very important to be able to personally speak Mandarin when you start playing around with stocks.
>>
Read the complete version of in the first circle this summer. Loved it, even though I will confess I didn't keep track of all the characters.

It gave me both laughter and tears. Don't see how you could call it dry unless you totally lack a sense of irony.
>>
>>9314690
Why the fuck would you want to read Arabic? Arabs need to be quarantined in the Middle East for everyone else's safety, don't go learn their fucking language.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.