[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there anyone here who has been meditating daily for at least

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: meditation_to_a_new_you.jpg (43KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
meditation_to_a_new_you.jpg
43KB, 600x450px
Is there anyone here who has been meditating daily for at least five years? What has changed in your life and world-view? Why did you think that meditation might have changed you?

Also: is there a way of connecting Zen with the art of writing? I am not talking only about single poems that express your own feelings and experiences, but also works with different characters, characters who live different lives and don’t necessarily think like you.

My question about the correlation of Zen and writing is made in the light of the correlation that the Japanese find between archery and Zen, or flower arrangement and Zen, or painting and Zen.

Books about this topic would be appreciated (especially if they are not by western authors).
>>
>>9310131
What has been your experience OP? I have meditated for extensive periods before, but in my experience, the moment you stop the benefits disappear and it is actually quite difficult to maintain the practice in modern life. As for the changes it will make to your writing, it will make you experience everything on a deeper more real level including reading/writing.
>>
Not books
Take your new age dogshit somewhere else, faget

/thread
>>
>>9310199
>meditation
>new age
just fuck my shit up senpai
>>
It's good for creation and imagination. When I used to be hardcore meditating and doing yoga I managed to write a full album of lyrics and sell them to a records company - it was a for a penny but I was still proud.

It is said that John Lenon used to meditate for his writting, and guys like Marilyn Manson and Trent Reznor did it as well.

David Lynch does Transcendental Meditation and has spoken highly of it in terms of helping him write his movie scripts.
>>
>>9310197

I started meditating for only 4-5 weeks now. To make time to the practice I began sleeping earlier (stop watching that much TV after work) and setting the morning alarm earlier too.

First thing I noticed is that I started to make my bed as soon as I woke up and also to stretch my muscles before the shower, something I never did before. I also returned to the gym after long months of absence.

I have been feeling more peaceful, but although we need only to observe the breath when meditating I can’t stop myself from controlling it. I force the breath whenever I start paying attention to it. This sometimes makes me feel bad, because the uncommon breathing pattern makes me remind of one of the anxiety-disorder symptoms that I use to have in the past (chest pain with crushed lungs and short breathing). Some sessions I breath more naturally and don’t feel this discomfort, but sometimes I actually feel quite bad.

So I still have a hard time on not-controlling the breath. I also still face a lot of mind-wandering experiences. I hardly maintain my mind focused on the inhalation and expiration for more than 10 consecutive times.

I also began to connect to people again. Me and my girlfriend joined a yoga class, and I will also start a Zen meditation weekly encounter with some monks that live near my town.
>>
>>9310258
Just stop focusing on the controlling your breath paradigm and focus on the sensation of the air moving in and out of your nostril. You will naturally drop the "control" as you meditate more and more. I understand what you mean. Well done though, your post motivates me to start again soon. Also get a zafu pillow, helps alot.
>>
>>9310288

thank you :)

I know that to simply practice is the best thing one could do, but if you don’t mind me recommending a book on meditation, this one was really great for me (is being great – I am still reading):

https://www.amazon.com/Mind-Illuminated-Complete-Meditation-Integrating/dp/0990847705

The author is very down-to-earth, yet respectful. He has a formation in neuroscience but is also deeply passionate about the philosophy and the “come and see” mantra of the Orientals. In his you-tube videos you can clearly see how tender and gentle are his facial features and his voice: he really seems a person that practices what he preaches.

I think that to restart your practice together with this book would be very valuable.
>>
>>9310329
I have the book, definitely the most practical and clear one I have come across. Although I watched a youtube video of the author and it put me off abit, but I guess the writing should speak for itself.
>>
>>9310329

wanna be my gf?
>>
>>9310365

you dummy, I'm a boy

(▰˘◡˘▰)
>>
>>9310402

Don't lie to me on the internet
>>
if you have the balls and the free time there are S.N. Goenka Vipassana centers all over North America and around the world as well that all offer free week-long and 10-day long meditation retreats where you are provided with decent food and lodgings for the duration for 100%, it's all funded by optional donations.

They have been careful to not be corrupted by the profit motive and so while it is influenced by one particular view of Buddhism it is still a really good experience and one I would highly recommend to all.
>>
>>9310131

pages 139-153

http://raybradbury.ru/stuff/zen_in_the_art_of_writing.pdf
>>
I guess you could look at Japanese aesthetics more generally, Kawabata Snow Country, Mishima Golden Temple, In Praise of Shadows, 物の哀 etc.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.