[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do i write about post-modern culture without coming off as

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: 111102-james-ferraro.png (132KB, 430x286px) Image search: [Google]
111102-james-ferraro.png
132KB, 430x286px
how do i write about post-modern culture without coming off as a pretentious wanker?
>>
>>9309745
>ferraro

you have to go back
>>
File: rerex2.jpg (20KB, 280x286px) Image search: [Google]
rerex2.jpg
20KB, 280x286px
post-modern isnt a particular aesthetic or culture, its just a description of the period of time we're now in. if you're writing about it, just write about the world around you, because that is the post-modern world. you don't have to do it as hamfisted as ferraro does (although i guess you could say that this whole forced aesthetic is part of his point about culture etc.), just note interesting things about the way society is in the post-modern age - dont just think it has to be about the internet/baudillardian waffle etc.
>>
File: IMG_3064.jpg (18KB, 140x201px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3064.jpg
18KB, 140x201px
>>9309883
the current year is only about the internet. what now?
>>
>>9309892
>the current year is only about the internet. what now?

Get out more
>>
File: IMG_2732.jpg (32KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2732.jpg
32KB, 400x267px
>>9309904
but writing about nature isn't post-modern
>>
>>9309745
Only pseuds use the term "post-modern", drop that dogturd for a start
>>
>>9309909
do the words hurt you m'friend?
>>
>>9309914
They hurt you if you want to be taken seriously. "Post-modern" as a term has no real descriptive or analytic value and thinking in terms of it is a detriment to any good understanding of the world today
>>
>>9309920
whatever you write, it will get categorized anyways.
i donmt particularily like the term myself (not op btw), but why get hung up on it?
>>
>>9309929
Because perpetuating a term that is not useful promotes it further currency.
Its especially annoying because its obnoxiously unspecific and leads to sentences that are borderline incomprehensible without knowing what if any definition of the term the author had in mind.
Which then leads to pseuds to project whatever their particular intellectual fetish onto it ending up at the usual ideological shitflinging that comes about with most discussions of contemporary culture
>>
>>9309950
isn't that the cause with any word?
>>
What are some books that are like Ferraro and Spencer's lofi stuff?
>>
>>9309954
No obviously not, some words have very clear and defined propositional content and others do not from one extreme to another.
>>
>>9309979
i was just messing with you.
so, then the right thing to do would be clearly define post-modern. you first
>>
>>9309984
I would define it as the discursive landscape following the collapse of the modernist project. That is the project to unite the disparate accounts of reality from the pre-modern world into a single metropolitan perspective.
>>
>>9309745
CUT AWAY CUT AWAY
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.