[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the Warhammer lore worth getting into? Why yes, why not?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: serveimage (1).jpg (26KB, 350x279px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage (1).jpg
26KB, 350x279px
Is the Warhammer lore worth getting into?

Why yes, why not? Where should I start? The medieval one or 40k? Or the 30k one? Is End times part of the medieval one or is it a different period too?

Should I start by reading the books? Or by playing one of the videogames? Or one of the board games?
>>
I liked Honourkeeper

I would recommend it
>>
You're probably gonna be told to go to /sffg/ or told to fuck off because genre fiction is generally frowned upon here
I prefer 40K over Fantasy because the only Fantasy ones I read was Gotrek and Felix and it was kinda EH I found
For 40K I recommend Fifteen Hours, the Caiphus Cain books, the Helbrecht books, Eisenhorn trilogy (and to a lesser extent Ravenour) and the Preists of Mars trilogy
That's like 14 solid books for you dude
>>
>>9307390
Is any of those good to start with? I know basically fuck all about the Warhammer universe.
>>
>>9307364
No, even if you like genre fiction. There are far better fantasy novels, don't waste your time.
>>
There are some legit titles/authors, but it's not really anything /lit/ worthy. It's a good enough universe.
>>
File: serveimage (2).jpg (488KB, 2627x972px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage (2).jpg
488KB, 2627x972px
>>9307519
>>9307543
Mind giving me some reasons as to why?

I've heard some pretty interesting details about the lore, the whole Horus Heresy thing seems pretty cool.
But I've also heard a lot of the books are basically just dudes smashing things.

Would be a shame if there isn't an interesting story to back up the pretty danm nice aesthethics.
>>
>>9307513
Fifteen Hours is a pretty good introduction to the world but honestly, you could learn more about the universe by going on the lexicanum website
The books are just stories in the setting
>>
>>9307584
I'll probably go there, see if it's interesting and then check out the books mentioned in >>9307390

Thx for the directions anon :3
>>
>>9307694
Don't mention it, happy reading
>>
The books are usually pretty bad. There are a few authors who are half-decent, but the real problem (for me at least) is that even the half-decent authors fail to capture the feel of the setting. Trying to "flatten out" the setting enough to fit into a single narrative somehow just doesn't work.

To me the strength of the setting, what made me browse /tg/ for years to talk about it, was how chaotic and un-flattened it was. It was the result of a thousand random lore blurbs in a dozen different codices I'd owned, hearsay from friends, other random shit.

Part of the reason I got out of 40k after loving it for most of my childhood and young adulthood was that when GW really became self-aware of how valuable the IP was, they hired a new generation of professional lore guys to flatten it out and make it all clean and consistent. The first thing these guys did was explain all those interesting blurbs away by tying them all into the Necrons, they regularised the chaotic, sometimes-nonsensical backstory of the setting.

To give an example, one of the most charming things about the setting to me as a kid was the hagiographical vagueness of the Great Crusade/Heresy era. I remember reading the codices with a feeling of frustration and the constant desire to know more, because I knew that everything I was reading was a ca. 40,000~ garbling of a half-legendary, half-real past. The 40k era was already so larger than life, and the 30k era was much less decadent, so you knew SOME of the outlandishness had to be true, but it was impossible to tell which parts. It was fucking amazing as a kid. The Horus Heresy books, by far the most popular, are pretty good, but they take this larger-than-life hagiographical knowledge of the Heresy era, and turn it into a pretty ordinary space opera drama. No one talks about that "feel" any more, because it's deprecated, it's overriden by the books. Now all you have to talk about is the objective record: The Emperor is kind of a retard, several of the Primarchs are outright dipshits, etc., the drama is very human and petty.

Maybe I'm biased. My mental image of 40k lore from when I loved it, when it was dripping with "too-big-to-be-described"-ness, just isn't possible with current lore. And this was all 3-5 years ago, so it's probably full blown Matt Ward retardation now.
>>
>>9307732
That actually sounds like a pretty amazing thing you described there. I can kind of relate with the lore of other pieces of media, where the "legends" part of the world was more interesting before it got explored in detail.

It's a real shame if they took away all the mistery, after all, if you are trying to built a fictional universe, myths and legends from a bygone era should definitely be something you need to have in there, the uncertainty.
>>
>>9307578
dude its just some fun fiction. are you doing a literary analysis or just want to read a decent book/series in a decent universe?
>>
>>9307987
I just wanted to read something cool, but I wasn't sure if it was worth it or not.
>>
>>9308097
you might be able to find stuff in /tg/
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.