[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do my fellow pseuds think about the psychology behind idle-games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: Level-Up-DS[1].jpg (637KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Level-Up-DS[1].jpg
637KB, 1920x1080px
What do my fellow pseuds think about the psychology behind idle-games such as cookie clicker, where people get a sense of gratification seeing their points go up while doing nothing.

Do you think this will ultimately have a negative impact as future generations become more used to constant reward-center stimulation, or is it ultimately not a big deal. Thoughts?
>>
You're already living in that world, dude. All these people who are walking around playing Cookie Clicker and working simulated jobs selling each other coffee are already plugged in permanently. They should all be farming. Cookie Clicker hell is already upon us.
>>
>>9303017
HAHAH love it, but in reality we shouldn't be farming, we should be scavenging food and hunting animals, if you really want to go that far back, where does it end?
>>
>>9303017
Does anyone know some non-pseud material that goes into discussion about the effects on society when the people are so consumed by the desire for instant pleasure?

Throughout history it has been seen, with orgies, drugs, and now games. But society seems to move on just fine every time.
>>
File: 1472560949741.jpg (122KB, 540x668px) Image search: [Google]
1472560949741.jpg
122KB, 540x668px
no example quite shows the idiocy of idiot pseuds fear-mongering about nothing at all like the thousands of satirical essays, cartoons and articles about Pokemon Go.

Kids spent a month or two on a fad involving a phone app and a successful media sensation in what is honestly a clever new use of developing technology (the whole 'superimposed animation' shtick) only for the game to fizzle out into relative obscurity like Angry Birds or any other phone app after people figured everything out, but enough wanna-be lecturers and philosophers saw their kids walking around viewing the world through their phones that they proclaimed that the entire world was falling into a technological stupor.

Cookie clicker is the same shit. It's just a game that took out all the elements of a usual game and replaced them with funny nonsense like cookie farms and cosmic grandmas. It was new and funny and was a fad for a while until most people saw how the end of the game turned out and moved on to something else. Maybe a new game will come out this year that features getting married and starting a successful business and it'll be funny enough and unexpected enough to captivate bored teens for a week or two.
Then these same pseuds will write to no end about how the Millennial generation is saved and how post-post-postmodernism has begun or something.

You might as well be writing a feature on the evening news deciphering how pepe the frog is brainwashing teens into worshiping Mussolini. Trying to discuss society using anecdotal video game evidence is laughable and OP should feel bad for what he's written
>>
File: bi4dvhe5oy8x[1].png (709KB, 746x823px) Image search: [Google]
bi4dvhe5oy8x[1].png
709KB, 746x823px
>>9303078
So there's nothing wrong with this, it's just a bunch of pseuds thinking society is doomed because people are playing a stupid game?

i.e: "Ha ha look at all these sheep playing that game, soon they will be plugged into pleasure domes being fed mindless drivel while I stand alone as the only true thinker of my generation."
>>
>>9303118
Look at all these people, going outside, socializing face to face. Probably meeting up as big social cricles and making new connections.. damn.. the human race is done for..
>>
File: readme.jpg (4KB, 179x282px) Image search: [Google]
readme.jpg
4KB, 179x282px
>>9303057
>>
>>9303134

Getting large groups of people together is a good way to kill many at the same time
>>
>>9303078

That's all well and good, however in context, I believe the dissemination of these "Skinner Box" devices (clicky games) do present a problem. They are a distraction from distaction, a white noise covering the white noise of the mind. Which, if left unchecked could leave the helpless masses even more receptive to the "other" thinking for them.
>>
>>9303157
thank god you're here to save the world from themselves
>>
>>9303162

I'm just naive, not an egotist.
>>
>>9303157
The whole of late capitalist society is an enormous skinner box. If Videogames and clicky aps make normies uneasy it's because of how they remind them of stuff they'd rather not think about. Online news sources, Twitter, Reddit, Dating apps, all algorithmically optimised feedback mechanisms that reshape the human to better suit the ends of capital accumulation. Workplaces, Schools, supermarkets are all ethologically designed with the imput of neuroscientists and algorithms to promote certain behaviours and create certain types of individual. 21st century life means living in a total propaganda environment, far beyond the wet dreams of 20th century totalitarians. You are a human lab rat for capital.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.