[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i got 30 pages into this and while I'm enjoying the chaotic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: paper money.jpg (20KB, 261x400px) Image search: [Google]
paper money.jpg
20KB, 261x400px
i got 30 pages into this and while I'm enjoying the chaotic nature of the book I'm having a hard time figuring out what's going on. Should I say fuck it and read a guide or be a man and try to power through and get what there is to get by my own work?
>>
I don't think there's anything wrong with using guides. If one man could "get" an entire work of real lit by himself, there would be no need for entire communities of scholars dedicated to books like Ulysses. I say go for it, or whatever else helps your reading experience
>>
>>9299626
It wasn't worth for me to finish this book as the funny parts didn't make up for unbearable dialogue. Can't read for extended period of time until I get sick of keeping track of who is talking and constant interruptions and unfinished sentences. I know it's representing a natural conversation, but fuck me is it hard and not natural to read it. You get going and that cutting off gets to the nerves real fast.
>>
>>9299626
By using a guide you 1. Wont waste uour time on something you don't comprehend and 2. Will hopefully learn more about literature in the process. Reading commentaries and guides is necessary in philosophy but somehow is looked down upon to use a commentary for literary works that are sometimes as equally difficult. Secondary literature is how you get smarter, just don't use it as crutch for independent thinking.
>>
>>9299647
>>9299681
It's a terrible idea to read a guide.

>>9299626
Gaddis himself said in an interview about the book that you should not attempt to read this as if every word is meaningful. He recommends that you just read it at a conversational pace and that you shouldn't worry about figuring out what it all means.
>>
I don't see how a guide would help.

For what it's worth, i enjoyed the chaotic nature of this book, but gave up about 3x as far in as you are for nearly constant nonsatisfaction with anything that occured.
>>
>>9299626
an overrated book

nothing interesting really happens and theres not nearly enough JR

it was disappointing overall
>>
>reading the Recognitions
>hating it
>oh well JR is next and it looks fun maybe I'll enjoy it
>go online
>every time it's mentioned it's about how disappointing it is
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.