[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the point in writing? I know people who derive self-worth

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: 1490477824615-vr.png (35KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
1490477824615-vr.png
35KB, 350x350px
What's the point in writing? I know people who derive self-worth from creating content, but I never understand it. There's just so much shit out there since the spread of the Internet, why even bother? You're never going to be an above-average writer or be recognized. Most media is over-saturated. Personally, I don't buy the argument that creating something is inherently valuable.
>>
>you're never going to be an above-average writer or be recognized

You never know that.
>>
>>9296741
Expanding on this: a) you never know if you're going to simply be washed away on the infinite sea of content; b) people who keep writing are somewhat self-confident/oblivious about this issue; c) continue writing because they genuinely find it fun and know they have a minimal shot at "making it". That's why most accomplished writers will tell you they kept writing because it gave them pleasure.

Plus, what would be the point of doing anything if you just think like this? It's literally stupid. "Why have a sailboat if you're never going to be able to compete in the Olympiads?"; "Why would you do woodwork if you'll never be a big furniture designer?"; "Why would you fish if you won't make it to fishing magazines and be sponsored?". The only things worth doing by your standards are things that can never amount to nothing, like posting on /lit/. Is this your endgame?
>>
>>9296726
you could be though, but you have to try first in the first place

if its good enough people will spread it around and do all the hard work for you
>>
>You're never going to be an above-average writer

I'm already an above average writer.

>or be recognized

I'm already in talks about a publishing deal.

Why are so many defeatists everywhere online these days?
>>
>>9296815
>Why are so many defeatists everywhere online these days?
Because they're all sulking online rather than actually creating things. It seems disproportionate because the successful hardworking ones don't spend much time online.
>>
QUESTION for all you weebs out there: why are the words backwards in manga and shit? Is it just autism?
>>
>>9296837
Kill yourself
>>
>>9296837
wtf
>>
>>9296761
/ t h r e a d

this anon has sorted himself out
>>
>>9296726
>There's just so much shit out there since the spread of the Internet, why even bother?

You can say that about anything. Why bother becoming a doctor if you won't ever be the best? Why bother becoming a daytrader if you won't ever beat Warren Buffet? Why bother starting a business if you will never beat the Waltons?

In the end, the only logical conclusion is to do what makes you happy. Writing makes me happy. Even if not another living soul on the planet ever read what I have written, I would still write. I enjoy it. Writing is the only thing I've ever enjoyed to this extent, and I should continue to write even if a thousand writers of my caliber started publishing in my exact genre with my exact plot lines and exact morals and tones. Because I love my characters and want to give them life and resolve their stories. Because I love the challenge of piecing together a complex plot. Because I love polishing my prose, growing rose gardens in the overgrown grass of the wilderness.

The only value one should seek is one's own satisfaction.
>>
>>9296839
>>9296851
Where's the fucking answer?
>>
File: bcdVuMV[1].png (446KB, 605x602px) Image search: [Google]
bcdVuMV[1].png
446KB, 605x602px
>>9296726
>What's the point in writing?
If you have to ask, you're not spiritually ready yet. Writing is done for the catharsis of the writer, not for the catharsis of his audience. It's a therapeutic undertaking. If he doesn't write, he becomes capped up with potential energy.

R8 my recently created meme too
>>
File: Myq07Eb[1].png (447KB, 608x607px) Image search: [Google]
Myq07Eb[1].png
447KB, 608x607px
>>9297100
bit more cleaned up here
>>
>>9296726
>What's the point in writing?

It's fun!
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.