[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>sensory information has the potential to be misleading or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: descartes.jpg (15KB, 314x499px) Image search: [Google]
descartes.jpg
15KB, 314x499px
>sensory information has the potential to be misleading or incorrect
>therefore using reason alone, cut off from the senses, is the best way to be certain that something you hold to be true is, in fact, true.
>"but what if your reason is inherently corrupted or manipulated towards falsehood by an all powerful being (God)"
>then we must prove that God A. exists and B. is benevolent (not deceptive)

>BUT WHAT IF YOUR IDEA OF GOD, AND YOUR LOGIC USED TO GET TO SAID IDEA OF HIM IS IN FACT YET ANOTHER DECEPTION

So is this how the "u can't know nuffin" movement started?
>>
>>9291174
Did you read it? If you did you would know he didn't actually believe that, but was presenting all of the scenarios that could possibly lead to genuine epistemological skepticism and attempted to refute them
>>
You don't use logic to get an idea of God. You just find the idea in your own mind. It's like doing maths and realizing you have the idea of infinity without having ever perceived anything infinite, and without understanding how you could have invented this idea yourself.
What you say is legit regarding Descartes' proof of God, that is actual not valid. I think most people admit it. The argument of the dream is correctly discarded by Descartes, but the argument of the evil demon is not. - However, it's not relevant regarding the cogito itself, which does not rely of any specific idea.
>>
>>9291235
>which does not rely of any specific idea

elaborate
>>
>>9291274
I just meant that it's pure intuition. Despite the word "therefore", logic is not involved.
>>
>>9291302
Ah

thank you
>>
>>9291235
>>9291302
So certainty is based on intuitive non-material truths?
>>
>>9291339
Well it is one, but I don't think it's "based" on anything. Every other truth is based on it.
I think of it as a substraction. Preconceived ideas ? Discarded. Senses ? Get rid of it. Mathematics, logic, innate ideas ? Hell no, they could be fallacious. Surely there's nothing left now. Oh wait, there's me doubting = cogito
>>
>>9291174
You cannot understand the non-material by means of the material.

The entire world is composed of consciousness. It is just a thought in the infinite sea of pure, metamorphic intelligence. Just as a dream is real to the dreamer, the waking world is real to the unwise.

Now go outside.
>>
>>9291174
>but what if your reason is inherently corrupted or manipulated towards falsehood

How else would you have reached this conclusion without the use of reason? lol

The most cloying sophistry - or it's highest application, really depends on who is doing what - is using logic to examine logic. Then we can see clearly where and what the limits of this faculty are.
>>
>>9291426
Are you suggesting that the skeptics are hypocrites, and that the whole cogito argument is a waste of time because reason alone can debunk skepticism?
>>
>>9291524
Well that is your summation now, isn't it?
>>
>>9291174
Kant raped him. Dont read outdated thinkers who are.objectively wrong
>>
>>9291174
>So is this how the "u can't know nuffin" movement started?

there were plenty of skeptics before descartes. check out sextus empiricus (though even he wasn't the first)
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.