[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Books on how to stop being a positivist? I can't find out

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: Claude_Henri_de_Saint-Simon.jpg (33KB, 328x458px) Image search: [Google]
Claude_Henri_de_Saint-Simon.jpg
33KB, 328x458px
Books on how to stop being a positivist? I can't find out another purpose of life besides "helping the scient growing up!", or something like that. I also usually think science is moar important than every other thing.

Maybe that comes from my veneration to technology.

pls, halp me, /lit/
>>
>halp
>moar
Consider helping the world by terminating yourself
>>
>>9289946
Considered.
>>
>>9289939
Start with the Greeks.
>>
>>9289939

Try Carl Jung and Nietzsche, perhaps even Santayana and Babbitt and Russell Kirk (the latter is the most accessible and provides an outline of lots of thinkers who were non-positivistic, starting with Burke, and ending with T.S. Eliot)
>>
>>9289939

first you must realize a world of science and technology alone has no value. if all that existed was an AI building progressively larger particle colliders and more powerful computers etc., don't you think this world would be infinitely improved by a small colony of (post)humans who guide the efforts of the AI and bear witness to the fruits of its technological progress?

Now that you've realized that yes, of course there's something more important than "pure" science, you need to analyze what that is, and think about how you can attain it in your own short time here. if you seriously think your goals will be best attained by more positivism, you need to pursue that because you might be a man of science. but don't overstep your boundaries and start talking shit about ethics and aesthetics.
>>
File: Henry Villierme - Downhill.jpg (34KB, 500x359px) Image search: [Google]
Henry Villierme - Downhill.jpg
34KB, 500x359px
>>9289939
First thing you should do is finish high school and insert yourself into the academia, no need to tell you should go STEM.
Don't try science or math, go straight for engineering.
2 years studying start to think about the market and your role (as an engineer) in the development of technology.
Meanwhile also get even deeper into the academia and start observing your professors (the ones that are researchers mostly) behavior as far it is related to science and technology.

Realize how bleak everything is, from human relations to the pursuit of knowledge, and how people don't care about "progress of science" but rather about getting money and hacking the system to inflate their egos with published papers that no one will read but their inner circle will refer too (just to keep the mental onanism and also for networking).
And then as a way to keep the flame and after you realized you are too deep to escape you'll turn your eyes to the historical figures and realize that most of the time they were members of the aristocracy and had many "inner troubles" (check the Bernoulli family) or they were relatively simple people that saw in science a way to thrive mankind and were exploited by the economical statement. And after all of this you'll realize that the society today will care about your work only to please consumers of the society of spectacle or when not working direct with them, to make money for the bourgeois class.
If you manage to find a job in research that is not polluted by the problems of our time you'll end up having to face bureaucracy and not having enough resources to do a proper research because "it is not a good investment from an economical standpoint or at least not from the short to medium term".

Also to get a portrait of human relations and the bureaucracy: read Kafka and there is also a couple of good books like The Clown by Boll to deal with hypocrisy in society. Or hell... even Molloy by Beckett can give insight to you.
There is also decadent literature and maybe The Cherry Orchard by Chekhov to show the fall of russian aristocracy which to some extent can paint a bleak portrait of the world to you.
It is a lot of things to read to get to the point i'm in, Cioran also would help you, Unamuno too if you tend to christianism.
But there is no reason to keep lingering on this message, I only speak from experience and

>There is something wrong with me besides melancholia
>>
>>9291408
Thanks for this post.
>>
>>9289939
read this
>>
Read Kuhn, Feyerabend and Wittgenstein.
>>
>>9291408
>Unamuno
Are you serious? I read him in the original Spanish and my conclusion was that he's pretty much a joke OR he's trying to convince people of something he doesnt even believe so as to say (read San Manuel Bueno Mártir -he considers himself to be him in my opinion). Im talking about Del sentimiento trágico de la vida too, his supposed 'best religious/philosophical work'. Cioran I like.
>>
File: Henry Villierme - Seascape.jpg (35KB, 500x493px) Image search: [Google]
Henry Villierme - Seascape.jpg
35KB, 500x493px
>>9291835
You could easily ignore my last paragraph... I guess Unamuno just ressonates with a few people, I had many many troubles with christianism (I still do) and he did help me.

The issue is that i'm not sure about OP's life or what he thinks (and expects) of science, college education, life, etc. I just threw a bunch of authors and books that could help him, it was not nearly enough for someone I don't know but I can assume he can explore them and do something with the ones that seems reasonable and relatable .

Also, how could I forget one of the most important novels for anyone that is enchanted with superior education?
Jude the Obscure by Hardy is a must read!
For OP: >>9289939
I don't want to spoil anything but do pay extra attention on how Jude behaves in the bar when asked to recite something in latin, and what he thinks about the people that are studying it on the most prestigious colleges nearby him.
>>
>>9293262
Fair enough.
>>
>>9290135
Hi Jordan
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.