[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Books /lit/ tricked you into reading. Pic absolutely related

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: atwood1.jpg (468KB, 1006x1563px) Image search: [Google]
atwood1.jpg
468KB, 1006x1563px
ITT: Books /lit/ tricked you into reading. Pic absolutely related to the topic of this thread.
>>
>>9287390

i hate atwood and that book is terrible. had to read it for class though, not /lit/
>>
>>9287390
No one tricked you into reading this. Wtf we never talk about this.
>>
>>9287390
I had to read that three times in college. I think I only read Frankenstein more. I remember one of my literature professors making an impassioned yet thinly veiled speech against Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan and how America could fractured and women could lose their rights, etc.
>>
>>9287521
Liberal arts classes were a mistake
>>
>>9287527
I'd agree in insomuch that there are people that study the humanities with this grim outlook on human existence, so that they project that misery onto their studies and it just amplifies their unhappiness. Oppositely I can say that certain texts reveal a certain outlook or world view to its audience, and that the scales fall away from my eyes or that a new world opened. Arguably I am committing heresy here because I could simply wave my hand about it and say that that is part of their experience and (that for them) there is not much to really truly be happy about to begin with or that the works/texts informed particular readers about particular insights whatever they might be, however dark they might be. The liberal arts attracts a wide variety of people of whom I will not try to offer either a full typology or complete hierarchy, because on 4chan those are typically very reductive and not deeply informative--like most of what I (dare I say, we?) have to say on 4chan. They are informative in a facile sense or at best like a primer. I do not regret seriously studying select fields in the humanities, but I think my main beef with that professor is that while fiction and life can imitate one another I would never use a 1985 speculative fiction novel written by a Canadian woman as a predicative text for anything going on in America. Aside from some basic approximations that can be made, I think America has more to fear from the transnational financial class than some kooky Christians.
>>
>>9287390
I don't know what you're talking about OP. The Handmaid's Tale isn't even a meme.
>>
>>9287728
But it is hot dog shit
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.