[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a word in the English language - or any other language

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 69840275.jpg (20KB, 638x547px) Image search: [Google]
69840275.jpg
20KB, 638x547px
Is there a word in the English language - or any other language for that matter - that is used specifically to describe the morose feeling a person experiences when they are close to finishing a book they are enjoying so much?
>>
bitter sweet
>>
jaundiced semen
>>
>>9283983
Abschiedsschmerz
>>
>>9284032
Holy shit, German is fucking amazing.
>>
>>9284044
Those germans got words for everything
>>
>>9284044
is it? it's just the words "goodbye" and "pain" stuck together at the middle. byebyehurt doesn't sound as good, though
>>
>>9284075
Really? Well, I guess as a non-speaker it seemed exotic and fancy to me. Got any better words?
>>
>>9284075
>Abschied means goodbye
Kinda, but not entirely. It encompasses all forms of parting from a person, place or thing. You would need more words to express the same thing in english.
>>
>>9284100
Goodbye can be used in all of those contexts.

Or, one could just say 'parting grief'.
>>
>>9284100
when you say "encompasses," do you mean that it CAN mean any of those forms of parting, or that it means every single type simultaneously?

either way, how is 'parting' not synonymous?

>>9284094
that's definitely a good one. i googled "the feeling of fading beauty" and found "Aware (哀れ) (Japanese): the bittersweetness of a brief, fading moment of transcendent beauty."

i really doubt anyone actually uses that though, if that's even what it actually means
>>
>>9284120
Abschiedsschmerz doesn't just literally mean parting-pain. You could translate it somewhat as "sweet sorrow related to the parting". Schmerz doesn't translate literally as pain in this context. It's not like one of these generic word combinations that Germans like to use so often, like Unabhängigkeitserklärung. It's more like Zeitgeist. A common use term that has acquired more meaning over time than just its component words.
>>
File: VW.jpg (484KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
VW.jpg
484KB, 1024x683px
>>9284149
"spirit of the time" seems to perfectly define zeitgeist. what does schmerz signify that is not like the english 'ache', and how is abschied not like the english 'parting'?

'parting pain' implies bittersweetness, or else the parting wouldn't likely be painful. i'm not trying to condescend you, i just legitimately don't think german vocabulary is anything special.
>>
>>9284165
For once ache, pain, sorrow, anguish and wrench all translate to Schmerz. You can't just say it means just one of them. Abschiedsschmerz encompasses a range of emotions related to parting with someone.

And Zeitgeist isn't a figure of speech like "spirit of time", or more correctly "the spirit of a specifc time period". The meaning of this figure of speech has become the actual meaning of the word. It's not even being perceived as a figure of speech by native speakers, but just as a regular noun. Unless you point it out to them of course.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.