[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will Descartes help me believe in god? Also recommend any books

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

Will Descartes help me believe in god?

Also recommend any books that will make me believe in god.
>>
>>9281105
My twisted World by Elliot Rodger.
>>
Spinoza, Hegel, and Leibniz are your best chance at being convinced of God. Maybe Kierkegaard but I haven't read him, I think he has more to do with being religious though.
>>
>>9281255
This + Dostoevsky
>>
Do you believe in triangles, then god is real. Saved you some time
>>
File: thehandsomedane.jpg (138KB, 1173x1076px) Image search: [Google]
thehandsomedane.jpg
138KB, 1173x1076px
>>9281105
Descartes is a disguised atheist
>>
>>9281255
More so Spinoza and Leibniz, Hegel's idea of Faith is of servitude to Zeitgeist more than pure faith. Hence some Kierkegaard's critiques to Hegel.
>>
>>9281290
But triangles are existing, whether you belueve in them or not, that's not a good argument.
>>
>>9281290
Elaborate?
>>
>>9281320
>>9281323
Not him, but Precisely. As Triangules are geometrical ideas non reciprocate to empiricall perception then something must be the creation of this idea, ex nihilo nihil fit, therefora as there are truthfull and universal Ideas non correspondent to prone to error material beings there must be something that puts such ideas in reaso, i.e. Gods. It's basically a spin on Saint Anselm ontological argument. Then again what I wrote is oversimplified, read the discurse of Method and the first two Metaphysical Meditations.
>>
>>9281345
Holy shit, I just noticed the bunch of typos. Sorry.
>>
None. There is no bluepilling yourself. Trust me I wasted years trying.
The voice in your head never goes quiet. Time to hit the phil books bro
>>
>>9281255
Hell was the first philosopher to mention the idea that God is dead.
>>
>>9281345
so perfection = god? so Descartes was a deist?
>>
>>9281105
No, or rather his reasoning is faulty (onthological argument he picked up from st. Anselm) and does not lead to religious faith, even if he himself was a devout Catholic. I assume this is for religious reasons since you wrote believe, so I assume it is not about completing the system or about an aristotelian first mover.

Anyway here's a list of what I foundd interesting, fiction, theology and philosophy
The Republic by Plato
Silence by Shusaku Endo
History of Philosophy by Copleston, first 4 volumes deal with God a lot as it was a prime topic.
Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe
Sickness Onto Death by Kierkegaard
Divine Comedy by Dante
Metaphysics and Categories by Aristitle
Complete Stories of Flannery O'Connor
Whose Justice? Which Rationallity? by Alasdair MacIntyre (will enhance your reading of medieval works A LOT)
The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky
The Gulag Archipelago by Solzhenitsyn,
Jesus of Nazareth by pope Benedict XVI
End of the Affair by Grahm Greene
Aquinas by Edward Feser
Summa Contra Gentiles by Aquians (imo the best read here)
Diary of st. Faustina Kowalska
The Immitation of Christ by Thomas Kempen
Confessions and City of God by st. Augustine
>>9281255
You gave 3 completely different accounts of God, two of which are not God at all, if by the word we imply theism.
>>9281496
No, devout Catholic. But equating God with perfection is hardly unusual, you'll find it in Aquinas, Bonaventure, Scotus, Augustine and just about every other worthwile philosopher/theologian.
>>
Not sure if you'd like this, but try looking the opposite way. To prove there's a God, you don't need to prove God exists necessarily but that the devil does.

Try some of the nonfiction books on exorcisms and the demonic. If there's darkness, there's light.
>>
>>9281496
>perfection = god
Yep, Descartes would agree with this.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.