[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Age >Location >Book you're reading and your

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 222
Thread images: 22

File: HMOG57A.jpg (402KB, 1040x1496px) Image search: [Google]
HMOG57A.jpg
402KB, 1040x1496px
>Age
>Location
>Book you're reading and your opinion of it so far.
>>
VA
Brehn's "Ohrbonko" or something.
Interesting read, though you can tell the author's a woman
>>
>19
>USA
>Portrait by Joyce

I liked the first chapter but the second is kinda meh. The stream of consciousness thing he's going for is rough. I liked it better in To The Lighthouse.
>>
>21.
>Australia.
>Life and Fate.

God tier.

It's criminally underrated. It's like War and Peace but set in WWII and a lot sadder.
>>
>>9279649
GA
Nietzsche Assorted Opinions and Maxims

worst Nietzsche I've ever read. It's obviously superfluous shit that didn't make the cut for HATH. Boring as shit, random, no thematic unity.
>>
>>9279649
>22
>AZ
>Wittgensteinian Fideism?

Just started it but I like how you see the two sides of the debate addressing each other. Its interesting desu
>>
República Reggaetonera de Flaitestán (Chile)
The Negation of Death, Love every single piece of it.
>>
>>9279717
Same book but 25.

I'm a bit confused where I am (pg 76) because S.D. just left a theatre, saw friends smoking a ciggie, then he's getting bullied about liking Byron so I think it's a flashback but I'm not sure.
>>
File: 1000.jpg (108KB, 947x1415px) Image search: [Google]
1000.jpg
108KB, 947x1415px
BC
>pic related

It's pretty good. Submarine life sounds comfy.
>>
>>9279649
>portrait of the artist as a young man
>joyce
>it's very good
>>
Venezuela
A good man is hard to find

This is the third book of Flannery that I read. I have been questioning a lot my fedora beliefs, and the meaning of grace as well as free will. I think she would have fit on /lit/ with her distaste for evangelicals.
>>
>>9279649

>22
>Burgerland
>Paradise Lost and Frankenstein

I'm re-reading Frankenstein for the first time in a few years. Never read Paradise Lost before, it's fucking hype
>>
File: image.jpg (39KB, 245x321px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39KB, 245x321px
>>9279649
>18
>USA
>Twelfth Night

I like it so far, but I just started it.
>>
>25
>Chile
>Iliad and The Gunslinger
I just started both after finishing Inherent Vice so I can't say much about them yet.
>>
>>9279649
>26
>SoCal
>The Door by Szabo.
It's very well written, philosophical themes and characterization are perfect, genuinely thought provoking, the pacing is well done, but I cannot for the life of me get immersed into the book. I think it's the narrative, it's written in first-person and as a memoir and that holds me at arm's length, I just can't get into it and it's taking me an embarrassingly long time to finish.
good book, it never feels like a chore, but it never feels enrapturing or even compelling towards the end.
hopefully Iza's Ballad is better, it's third person present time.
>>
File: 1489974149151.jpg (94KB, 960x938px) Image search: [Google]
1489974149151.jpg
94KB, 960x938px
>>9279649
>18
>USA
>Catch-22
Started off goofy but has shifted to angry and dark. Overall, I'm enjoying it.
>>
>>9279964
>>9279964
Yeah, that's his experimentation with stream of consciousness. "Admit" reminded him of the Byron event and he just recalled the incident. Caught me off gaurd at first too.
>>
>>9279894
I heard the music industry is pushing hard for reaggeaton in south america to the point of eliminating anything else, is it true?
>>
USA - OH
Northern Lights
>>
File: 1488048356053.jpg (52KB, 706x720px) Image search: [Google]
1488048356053.jpg
52KB, 706x720px
> 19
> cali
> elementary differential equations and boundary value problems
pic related
>>
>24
>Sweden
>The Sound of Waves

So far its like the beginning of the "Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea" but with a lot more gay stuff about fishing.
>>
> 21
> USA, NJ
> The Odyssey

Absolutely magnificent
>>
>>9279649
>21
>Australia
>The Rainbow Quest of Thomas Pynchon ... Opinion: concise and illuminating. The same feeling you get when faced with a out-of-box mess of jigsaw and you're flipping all the pieces face-up for the first time. Fragments of images start to resolve themselves into some kind of premonition of the complete image.
>>
>>9280133
How do you like it so far?
>>
>21
>Texas
>Roadside Picnic
>>
File: 1452435381428.jpg (240KB, 1024x771px) Image search: [Google]
1452435381428.jpg
240KB, 1024x771px
> 28
> Germany
> Die Welt von Gestern, Stefan Zweig

It's very comfy at times, but sometimes makes me hate his jewish and cultural pretentiousness. Since it is written about a gone-by culture you have to accept it but it's quite interesting anyways, gives you some insights into famous people like Rilke and Haushofer.
>>
new zealand
birdsong by sebastian faulks

so far there's been some cheesy parts, some boring parts, and some parts i've really liked.
it's quite effeminate.
>>
>28
>Canada
>Middlesex

It's really good.
>>
>>9280398

What part are you at?
>>
>24
>Italy
>Aeneid
I have to translate book 6 for my latin exam, it's pretty cool too understand it but virgil is a pain in the ass to translate
>>
>>9280402
I'm also reading The Human Instruments by Vittorio Sereni
>>
>>9279649
>19
>Idaho, USA
>The Silmarillion
I'm loving it so far.
>>
>>9280402
Europe
>>9280431
America
>>
>>9280438
Nice job man! Are you just now learning countries and continents?
>>
>33
>england
>life and fate
>bretty gud
>>
>>9280452
>America digs itself deeper
>>
>>9280452
Yeah i don't get it either
>>
File: 18751435.jpg (72KB, 550x831px) Image search: [Google]
18751435.jpg
72KB, 550x831px

Croatia

Bought some random books online, they arrived yesterday. I already read through Jonathan Livingston Seagull without knowing it was supposedly a huge hit back in the day and even my gf has read it multiple times. I didn't like it very much, it's actually kinda incoherent and there is so much weird psychedelic shit going on, seagulls teleporting and what not.
I started reading Juegos de manos by Juan Goytisolo but I'm only 20 pages in. It's already much more interesting than the Seagull book, though. It reads kinda like a Japanese New Wave movie about some delinquents.
>>
>21
>Germany
>Code: The hidden language

The book does a very good job explaining the fundamentals of how a Computer works and how they came to be. Only negative point is that at times it is too slow and makes sure that every idiot reading it can understand it.
>>
>>9280002
>describes one of the most important and beautiful pieces of literature ever written as "fucking hype"
>>
>>9280560
That's the joke...
>>
>>9280391
hi cara
>>
>23
>Czech Rep

>Decameron.
Eh, it's good at times and boring at others, and it's fucking enormous on top of that. Boccaccio had some great zingers though.
>>
> 19
> Portugal
> As intermitências da morte - José Saramago

Portuguese literature Nobel prize winner. I don't know the title on the English translated version so sorry about that. I've only read the first chapter so far but it's a story about the consequences of imortality for what I've read. He also criticizes the church and government.
>>
>36
>Gypsylandia, just north of the Danube
>Ovid's Metamorphoses, translated by one J. Melville or something like that.

Amazing, lovely, uber-comfy reading, plus the poetry flows like warm honey, and that's in translation! The original must be truly god-like. I can't imagine how that ghastly emperor Gus could bring himself to banish this guy for life, and in my wonderful nook of the world, of all places--it couldn't have been much better then, even without the gypsies. Why, if I were caesar, I would have had this guy personally recite to me a few hundred lines out of his work every night before sleep, while my favourite Scythian slave girls fed me figs and Chian wine and my Libyan catamite lovingly fondled my prostate (or whatever it was that emperors in those days called "a quiet evening at home"). Then I'd have allowed our mr. Nosey commit whatever amorous "indiscretion" his heart desired. Hell, I'd let him fuck the empress if it tickled his creative gonads. That's right, a cucked caesar for an Olympian Ovid--fucking worth it.
>>
>>9280402
Do you have a favourite book? Book 6 is amazing, but 4 and 12 are great as well.
>>
A Hero of Our Time
Northern New England
>>
>22
>iceland
>Independent People
just started but like it so far
the prose is great and the characters already appealing
>>
File: 1468982093062.jpg (33KB, 480x454px) Image search: [Google]
1468982093062.jpg
33KB, 480x454px
>>9279649
>nobody listened to me
>with hiro allowing google ads in, the site is more easily mapped
>fbi has to jump through less hoops to match your ip to your posts (without hiro giving them the weekly IP dump)
>fbi ip-age-location exercise was so successful last week they are trying again
>>
28. Archetypes and the unconcious mind. Bretty gud. I get a twisting sensation in my stomach during some of the good parts.
>>
>>9280956
It's ok, I'm posting from a Russian prison anyway.
>>
>>9279649
>21
>Sudan
>The Everlasting Man
Pretty intersting desu.
>>
>>9280917
I have to say book six itself, because i love katabasis in the stories i read. I love the beautiful moment in which Aeneas sees Dido again, but she runs away without a word. The feels man
>>
>20
>Lithuania
>Solaris
just started, whole chapter describing ocean was snoozefest
>>
>>9279649
>>Age
>>Location
Croatia
>>Book you're reading and your opinion of it so far.
The Two Towers, Boromir's chapter was quite touchy.
>>
>>9280192
is this your first reading of it?
>>
>>9281001
Sveikas
>>
Goddamn New Jersey goddamn it
Dead Souls
A little repetitive but funny
>>
>>9281128
Laba
>>
>22
>EIRE
>Les Miserables

I'm only 120 pages into I need more time
>>
>21
>Aus
>Moby Dick

~550 pages in. It's really good. Can be a bit frustrating/boring at times with all the cetology and whaling info. The prose really makes it worthwhile though; would've dropped it otherwise i think
>>
>>9279649
AUS
Less than zero
Absolute garbage what a hack
>>
>>9279649

>22
>Germany
>Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

bretty gud
>>
>>9280985
Ah fuck that's the worst. Into Sychaeus' arms as well, which both intensifies the sting and increases your sympathy for Dido. Virgil was such a master of his craft :(
>>
US East
Sapiens by Yuval Harrari

This book fucking rules. It's so sick.
>>
>>9280391

hi cara
>>
Australia
Battleaxe by Sara Douglass. It's pretty shit but this qt3.14 loaned it to me, and I want to get in her pants even though she is a lesbian and is in a relationship with my other friend.
>>
>>9281093
Besides reading parts of it in high school, yes.
I read the Illiad for the first time as well a few months ago.
>>
File: 1489900998575.gif (710KB, 686x653px) Image search: [Google]
1489900998575.gif
710KB, 686x653px
>>9280493
>>9280492
The previously mentioned anon is attempting to "prove" the superiority of literary taste of Europe using a sample size of 2. What anon failed to consider is that he may have autism.
>>
>>9279649
Is that the grill from Doctor Who?
>>
>>9279649
Central California
Farewell to Arms - Boring and lifeless. Hemingway fails after 30 pages. His short work is much better.
>>
Portsmouth
Heart of Darkness: wasn't pulled in at the start because of the long-windedness and unnecessary word use, but it's starting to grow on me. There's something fascinating about how Marlow's story draws you in.
>>
>>9279649
Celine
Adventure to the end of the night
Surgut, Russia.
Just trying to study eng
>>
>>9281419
I disliked it desu. He espouses a lot of personal opinions that seem to me
1. badly founded anthropologically (ie he acts as if his theory behind the AR is widely accepted - it's not, population and climate drive were far more important imo)
2. needlessly sensational. The thing about wheat domesticating humans...what? And his talk about capitalism as if we didn't already know all that.
3. Childish sometimes. Whining about how now we have to get jobs. Come on.

There's some cool info in there but to me it read as immature and superficial.
>>
London
Infinite Jest (still)
Almost a month and a half since I started. Only 100 pages to go. I really like it, the themes feel very relevant to me and extremely current. There are some segments/characters that feel like they drag, especially the randy lenz segment where it was about 30 pages of him walking around trying to fuck Green and kill a dog.
>>
>>9280966
What's the precise title of the book? Always wanted to get into that aspect of Jung but unsure where to find it.
>>
>25
>Canada
>Don Quixote

its everything it's cracked up to be
>>
>22
>Ireland
>Coriolanus

It's entertaining, but definitely not the best of the Sheikh's plays
>>
>>9280371
How hard of a read is it? I've been learning German more or less for a year now but I haven't read much past children's books and short stories. Would it be too difficult to try or is the prose as straightforward as some critics are making it seem?
>>
>>9279649
>Age
>Location
Liverpool, UK
>Book you're reading and your opinion of it so far.
Campbell Biology 9th ed. It's pretty well explained and easy to digest considering, and in parts were it's not the pictures are at least nice to look at. Would recommend for anyone interested in cellular biology/microbiology/biochemistry.
>>
>>9281657
What translation?
>>
>>9279649
4 lustra
cozy bed
sanctuary
>>9279773
by sadder do you mean "made me tear up more" or "more upsetting"?
>>9280061
some books just read like they aren't meant for us. i have always had this problem with italian writers
>>9280317
are you reading it because of tarkovsky or because of the video game?
>>9280398
i read middlesex when i was ~12 or 13 and it traumatized me, i should revisit it
>>9280438
>24yo reading for a university class
>19yo reading for pleasure
hum
>>9280521
sounds very appealing to me, where did you buy your copy?
>>9280549
that book is FOR idiots
>>9280894
have you read juvenal? this reads like one of his satires
>>
>>9282007
Reading it because I heard about it from the Stalker movie and because I like scifi
>>
NY
The Iliad
Regret reading Paradise Lost first. It was so much better, though this is still good too.
>>
>>9282128
The Illiad is great. I reccomend jumping right into the Odyssey when you're done if you havn't read it already. I regret not doing so.
I still have Paradise Lost on my To-Read list.
>>
South England
Slaughterhouse V
Eh I'm not a fan, why is it a classic?
>>
File: book_apollonius2_lg.jpg (5KB, 161x253px) Image search: [Google]
book_apollonius2_lg.jpg
5KB, 161x253px
Oregon
pic related, pretty great. Not on the same level as the two great Homeric epics but still worth reading.
>>
New England
Ender in Exile
It's OK, nothing too riveting...
The Bazaar of Bad Dreams
I like it, quite some interesting ideas in it
>>
>>9279649
>19
>Romania
>Foundation and the Empire

I kinda dislike the amount of time skips and new plots popping up all the time.
>>
>>9281649
I have spent hundreds of hours with IJ and rarely bring jt up because it is so polarizing. I like how it is more current now than ever, like Wallace aimed slightly ahead of his present. Crazy how many people try to read the novel even though they hate it.
>>
21 / Folsom CA / Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk. First Palahniuk novel I have read since Fight Club. Thought I would never read another because I had the sense Fight Club would be BY FAR his best work. Didn't believe he could come close. He is coming close.
>>
>>9279649

Oxford

Don Quixote. I got bullied by /lit/ so now I'm reading one book at a time and I got back to my favourite so far. DQ is obviously an egoist.
>>
>>9283055
lol
>>
>>9279649
>23
>Canada
>Jane Eyre

Finally decided to see what all the hype was about. Three quarters of the way through and it's been somewhat enjoyable I suppose. Brontë's rich vocabulary and fluent prose are what have kept me going honestly.
>>
>20
>USA
>just finished Lincoln in the Bardo

I remembered liking his short stories, but I felt they were way more emotionally detached (with one exception I can't remember the name of) in general than this was. I definitely liked this a lot, though.

I think I'm about to start rereading Bleeding Edge, but I haven't decided yet.
>>
>>9279649
>20
>Seattle
>The Winds Twelve Quarters by Ursula K. Le Guin

Kinda meh on it so far. Just finished Lollita before this so maybe that's part of why. I've read sci-fi before and enjoy it a fair bit but so far this is nothing too special. Not quite sure what the hype is about. Holding out hope for "The Ones Who Leave Omelas"
>>
Spain
Pantaleón y las visitadoras

I really enjoy reading Vargas-Llosa
>>
>24
>Alaska
>Bulfinch's Mythology

Before I even attempt Milton.
>>
>18
>USA
>Crime & Punishment and The Crying of Lot 49

C&P is very interesting so far, and I expected the murder to be the climax of the novel (i.e. somewhere in the middle or near the end) but since it's at the start it makes me wondering what will happen in the rest of the book.
TCOL49 is pretty engaging and casual, it's my first Pynchon. Had a couple giggles from it so far.
>>
>>9279649

MI
The Castle by Franz Kafka

I am enjoying it so far. I've already read his other works so this is pretty comfy.
>>
MA
A Tale For The Time Being by Ruth Ozeki

I like it. Some parts are eerily reminiscent of my own diary at the age of 14, but it's good nonetheless.
>>
UK
Saint Joan by Bernard Shaw

It's my first time reading him, and I think it's pretty good so far.

>>9283618
I've seen that around a lot, but haven't been sure about buying it. I'll probably give it a shot from this though!
>>
>20
>The Netherlands
>Swann's Way

Comfy af, narrator just saw Gilberte for the first time.
>>
>Age

>Location
California

>Reading
King James Version: I decided to read the whole thing from cover to cover except I am only reading 10 minutes per day while charting my progress in notepad documents. I've started Exodus today. It's been an incredible journey this past week and a half. I'm finding my faith grow stronger.

Frankenstein: My girlfriend and I have been reading this together after we finished Moby-Dick last week. We wanted something lighter after that intensity. It does feel pretty light compared to Moby-Dick and the Bible, but still entertaining. I'm at the part where Frankenstein is horrified by his creation and is in recovery from the shock.

I've also been reviewing some Latin and want to surpass the level I reached (one semester course) and be ready to read Julius Caesar by next year.

I used to study lit but dropped out for CS for employment prospects, so it feels good to improve my learning through self-study. I do miss the guided education however.
>>
27 Jersey
The Ascent of Humanity by Charles Eisenstein

long ass book, 60% done. It's a heavy pill to swallow, but the later chapters look like they'll offer redemption to the earlier.

If you've ever heard the line of reasoning or yourself used the line of reasoning that says "But these are merely symptomatic of a deeper issue," then this is your book. It's an incredible work of scholarship and seriousness.
>>
>27
>Long Island
>Of Human Bondage
>the beginning was kind of boring, but I'm enjoying it more as I go on, I'm glad I stuck with it, I can relate to a lot of it
>>
ATX
Siddartha

Incredible, but that's no secret. Honestly this book already means a lot to me, this might just be some stupid shit that goes through the head of everyone who reads it, but I find myself not only feeling akin to Siddartha, I find that it validates many of my thoughts and desires.
>>
>>9279649
Canada
Nietzche - Genealogy of morals
>>
>>9283618
One of my all time favorites
>>
>>9283837
Forgot:
Very poetic writing, love that aspect. Not so much the philosophy.
>>
Arizona, USA
Around the World in 80 Days
Its fun and enjoyable and I'm curious as to if they will make it back to the Reform Club on time.
>>
Chile
Fouché by Stefan Zweig. I'm literally Fouché.
>>
>>9283894
I love Zweig, haven't read Fouché

Short summary / what you like about it?
>>
>31
>Guatemala
>A Dreamer & A Visionary - H. P. Lovecraft in His Time

Man, the earlier sections almost feel like latin american magical realism. Like 100 Years of Solitude or The House of the Spirits.

Of course he was strange as fuck. His whole family was way wacky, and he liked researching about his family tree.
>>
>>9279649
USA
Book of the New Sun

I'm like 3/4 done with book four. Picked it up on a recommendation and thought for sure I would hate it as I knew nothing of the author and had it pegged as genre fiction pap, turns out I was dead wrong and it's excellent. There's a large noticeable amount of Borges influence too and that's also great.
>>
>>9281341
read that one for university last year, liked it too
>>9283836
Love Hesse. just finished Steppenwolf

>20
>Germany
>Born to Run by Springsteen
It's cool, I love the music by him and his writing style is very similar to his song lyrics
>Charles Dickens - Great Expectations
Just started it because I want to get more into classic English literature. Like it so far, although it took me a while to get used to the style because English is not my first language
>Charles Bukowski - Women
It's fucked up and dirty and disgusting and I like it.
>>
>>9281607
I can sympathise with your distaste. Hemingway bores me as well; I find him far too conventional. He's terrified of experimentation. But power through, if you haven't finished it yet. Despite his concrete-like prose, his storytelling abilities ultimately pay off by the end and make it all worth it. You will feel something. If you don't, you're either on the spectrum or a sociopath.
>>
>>9282007
More upsetting.

The only downside from reading it is sometime I have to force myself to stop thinking about /pol/ holohoax theories when there are chapters about the Jews or scenes in concentration camps. I don't even deny the holocaust happened.
>>
>>9282179
Reddit.
>>
>20
>Kentucky
>All the King's Men

da gr8 murrucan nobbel :^)

But for real though, everyone lauds it perfectly capturing the junction between grimy pettiness and lofty idealism that is backdoor Southern politics, but just following Jack's character development makes the novel - it's shattering. It was the first book that ever made me cry.
I want to cum on the OP pic girl's thighs while she's in those tights.
>>
>>9281652
Archetypes and the collective unconscious
>>
>>9279773
The letter from Victor's mother, everytime.
>>
AZ
三國演義

Just. Damn.
>>
i don't read but i know a bunch of folks who do over at >>>>/page1/
>>
>>9279649
>29
>Russia
>The Dharma Bums

I've got mixed feelings. On the one hand, it's fresh and sincere and all but now you know you just want to punch this guy in the face like smack it's you you assholes who ruined everything for us all you thought you were the smartest but you fucking ruined everything you touched and yes you can fall off a mountain. Something like that.
>>
>>9279649
MD
The Road. I saw the movie like six years ago and have been meaning to read it. It's even darker than the movie, although the movie did a remarkably good job at even a scene-by-scene level so far
>>
>dc
>27
>ulysses

pretty dope
>>
>>9279649
>18
>Brazil
>The Picture of Dorian Gray

Enjoying so far
>>
>>9279649
>26
>Canada
>A book that I hope to be self-publishing within a week

I'm reading it because I wrote this much of it (over 64,000 words) around late August to September. I need to fix some grammatical errors that were inherent in my writing back then and I also have to refresh myself on the state of the book so I can continue it and write an ending. I'm also making little alterations/changes in the sentence structures and what not. I've only been writing books for around 7 months but I already feel as though I'm improving as a writer.

I was fearing that it wasn't too good, that I had made the wrong move/decision with this sequel, but so far I'm quite enjoying it. I mean, I hate editing, can't stand it, but the more I'm refreshed on what I had written the more I think that this wasn't a bad move. I'm looking forward to being the author of a small series which I dare say I'll be expanding on further. I kind of regret setting it in 2017 though. Going to be a bit odd writing sequels/prequels in later years but mentioning that it's happening 'back in 2017'. It was 2016 when I wrote the first and this much of the second.
>>
>>9280093
Yeah reading it again and noticing the names and location made it clearer. I'm kinda ready to be done with this and start East of Eden.
>>
>20
>Minnesota
>Petersburg by Andrei Bely

This is my second time reading Petersburg and I am almost positive this is my favorite book now.
>>
Berlin
Walser - Death of a Critic

Very entertaining, don't see why the claim of anti-semitism would stick.
>>
>20
>Kentucky
>War and Peace

I'm nearing page 900. It's definitely one of my top books, but the military scenes are starting to get boring.

>>9284153
What part of Kentucky?
>>
>24
>London
>London: The Biography, by Peter Ackroyd

Pretty boring desu. Arranged thematically rather than chronologically, and that doesn't work for me because I feel like it jumps around way too much. Still got 400 long pages to go, don't like to not finish a book when I start it though.
>>
>>9279649
California
Death of ahasuerus by par lagerkvist. I'm almost done, it takes like an hour to read. It's really nice to read, everything feels really mystical and ancient.
>>
>>9280135
Can you explain the term "boundary value problem?" I'm a physics major and people always say it and I'm too embarrassed to ask what it is at this point.
>>
>>9283596
The Castle is the comfiest book I have ever read. The subtle descriptions of the snowy village and the genuine dialogue make it such a relaxing read.
>>
>25
>Massachusetts
>In Search of Lost Time vol. 4: Sodom and Gomorrah
pretty gay desu
>>
brazil
a woman of thirty by balzac
it's okay but the descripitive style makes me speed read so that i can get to a page where some ACTUALLY happens
pretty good tho
>>
>>9280928
have you ever seen björk when you go shopping??
>>
>>9287893
Lex, I'm studying at U.K. You?
>>
>>9288195
Northern Kentucky, I go to NKU
>>
>30
>Chicago
>Programming the Human Biocomputer

Enjoying it so far, even though it's exactly what I expected. Totally worth the $2. In the past few weeks I accidentally got into Esalen related ideas. Weird coincidence. Jeff Kripal, then Jacques Vallee, and now Lilly. I prefer Lilly because he is paranormal but not supernatural. Self reprogramming progresses very slowly! It's spooks all the way down.
>>
>>9279649
>21
>Boston
>Frisk by Dennis Cooper. Pretty good, its my third time reading it, finally starting to really get it. Not his best work, but definitely one of the most engaging.
>>
>>9288044
DEs have a family of solutions (a solution space) and then you can narrow it down with the values at the boundaries.

Physics examples: a damped harmonic oscillator, like a pendulum, has a family of solutions. If you know the initial phase and velocity, then the whole system is determined. Using the heat equations and the temperature at the edge of a pipe or sheet of metal, you can solve for the remainder of the surface. The boundary value could also be a derivative instead of the function value.

Honestly, you should just read the Wikipedia page right now!
>>
>>9280114
Reggeaton has been a constant tumor in the culture of latin america for two decades. Its sort of fading out, mostly due to its complete lack of originality. Still exists predominantly in poor areas and some really fucking slutty, trashy upper class girls' bedrooms.
>>
File: C7Zx4qYVwAAroBa.jpg:large.jpg (246KB, 1280x861px) Image search: [Google]
C7Zx4qYVwAAroBa.jpg:large.jpg
246KB, 1280x861px
Connecticut
Laurus

I don't know I just started it.
>>
>>9287922
Life's too short to slog through boring shit for no reward. I finish less than 1/3 of books I start.
>>
Wisconsin
I Looked Alive: Short Stories by Gary Lutz

He's said in interviews he has no care for plot and that's evident. All he cares about are the flow of sentences and the way the words interact with each other. I like that his writing is never beautiful, but by turns greedy and rewarding. He can be extremely confusing, and honestly reading his stories backwards makes as much sense as forward.
>>
>>9281341
I should reread this! First time at 16 it felt so deep. Reread at 22, during a depressive and anti-civilization phase, and I hated it. Now I'm much more mellow and I might gain something from another read.
>>
>>9283919

me too -.-
26 / aus

Only just finishing #2 for now, but am sort of mildly loving it.

Super-hard to tell where its going, but I've read there is a depth to it, where the choatic-ness is actually carefully constructed and meaningful. Just enjoying it for now... )

I'm thinking of it as a sort of literary (science) fiction
>>
>>9279649
London
I'm in between books at the moment, but just finished Suetonius's 12 Caesars. I enjoyed it a lot.
>>
File: 1489911027374.gif (222KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1489911027374.gif
222KB, 200x200px
>>9279649
>22
>DC
>The Bible
>>
>>9280985
>>9281367
These guys are on to something. The best moment in the Aeneid, imo.
>>
File: 81IYdyJoF9L.jpg (318KB, 1559x2405px) Image search: [Google]
81IYdyJoF9L.jpg
318KB, 1559x2405px
São Paulo

~

The Makioka Sisters (Tanizaki);
The History of Art (Gombrich);
Dead Souls (Gogol);
Sentimento do Mundo (Carlos Drummond de Andrade);
>>
US
This Side Of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald

I'm not sure what to think of it yet, it kind of flips between Amory being a prick and being admirable.
>>
>18
>in my garden
>party platform of a the DKP (German kommunist party)
>>
Springtime Nottingham
The Gulag Archipelago. It's fucking great. Read it, anons. The full version, I'll be having none of that abridging.
>>
26 chicago
the three body problem by cixin liu
it's very translationy. i'll never keep all these dings and dongs and wangs and wengs straight. luckily there's a list of dramatis personae at the beginning. so far, about 1/5th of the way through, it appears to be about some kind of Luddite conspiracy to get physicists to off themselves. this part's not interesting me very much, but the beginning was about the cultural revolution, and it was very cool and surreal. makes me want to read some his fic instead.
>>
>>9288452
Lilly, as in the dolphins and sensory deprivation tank guy of Serial Experiments Lain fame? I got one of his dolphin books but haven't gotten around to reading it. Suspect he was loony, what with all that ECCO nonsense.
>>
>22
>Fiction: White Noise
>Non-fiction: The Gay Science
>Nova Scotia

I'd highly recommend both. Delillo's prose can get tired after a while but he always redeems himself every 10 or so pages, keeping it refreshing, in bursts, throughout. Neitzsche's Neitzsche. Required reading, I'd say.
>>
>>9290358

That was his first novel right? Worth it, for someone who's only read Gatsby?
>>
>>9281641

>Theory behind the AR

Could you explain please?
>>
>25
>Burger currently living in Namibia
>Infinite Jest (re-read)

Little last halfway through. First time I read it I was a freshman in college and very on and off so I missed a lot of things. I'm noticing more of how in terms of nature v nurture DFW is definitely pushing nurture. He's essentially saying everyone's problems begins with their parents. Which is interesting considering all of the AA stuff and how they hate it if you blame anyone but yourself for your problems. The AA parts are the strongest but for some reason the ETA sections are the ones I look forward to the most. Note taking is pretty much required for me so that I can keep my head straight with the characters and chronology.
>>
>>9281649
How is it reading it as a non-American? A lot of it is about what it means to be an American and our relationship with entertainment. Are those sections relatable?
>>
>>9280981
>Sudan
R A R E
A
R
E
>>9279649
18, Scotland, The Idiot.
I'm in the middle of it now, part 1 was good but part 2 is kinda bleh.
>>
Cleveland Ohio, round them parts
Don Quixote
Brief history of nearly everything
Cicero: life and times of romes greatest politician
Story of civilization by will Durant
>>
>>9279649
CA
"Our Revolution"
It's ok, but it's way too focused on the author (Bernie Sanders) in the first half instead of the actual premises of the book.
>>
>47
>seattle
>blood meridian. sometimes the prose is good but he often goes overboard. i'm only at the beginning but i'm already sure this book should be shorter.
>>
>>9281128
Zdarof
>>
File: 272px-Grillparzer_Statue.jpg (22KB, 272x479px) Image search: [Google]
272px-Grillparzer_Statue.jpg
22KB, 272x479px
>26
>Vienna, Austria
>A. Camus the plague

idk, never been much of a reader and just started this year with reading high school literature i found in the basement of my parents. enjoyed the stranger and got interested in philosophy but felt quite dumb reading the myth of sisyphus so i wennt back reading some novels.
>>
>>9290952
>guaranteed replies
>>
>>9288473
>poor areas
So, all of Latin America.
>>
>>9279649
Netherlands
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - prose is ridiculously bad. I can't believe this has or had an actual following. If this doesn't improve before I finish the first volume, I will not read the rest.

Finishing Frankenstein tonight. Great book so far. Delves more deeply into the relationship between a creation and its creator than anything else I've read so far.

After this, Moby Dick and Tale of Two cities. trying to get the classics out of the way.
>>
File: gay-marriage.jpg (326KB, 1238x612px) Image search: [Google]
gay-marriage.jpg
326KB, 1238x612px
>>9279649
Northwest Arkansas

I hadn't read anything in year, the last having been a reread of Lord of the Rings last spring. A whole year dry, until a few weeks ago I blasted through McCarthy's All the Pretty Horses (enjoyed) and Child of God (loved).

Right now I am struggling to make a second attempt on Updike's Rabbit Run. The first time I tried years ago I only made it to Rabbit giving up on his attempt to flee and his returning home, five minutes into the book. That's where I am now. And my brain is yelling at me again to put this book down but I'm trying to force-of-will my way through.

I love Updike's language, but the content is not grabbing me, though I am sure if I just stick my lazy ass to it, I'll find something worthwhile.
>>
USA
Ulysses, more juvenile than I expected.
>>
File: 1488513467674.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1488513467674.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>24
>California
>The Fellowship of the Ring

Fun book, never had the chance to read the series. Feel like reading it in the woods, desu
>>
File: 1386365233218.jpg (314KB, 1280x956px) Image search: [Google]
1386365233218.jpg
314KB, 1280x956px
>>9291175
I've never been able to finish it because of the absolute shit-silliness of it. I feel like it probably worked better in its original form as a radio series . . . but still. It's fun on the surface of it but has very little actual substance.
>>
File: 1386603564859.jpg (604KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
1386603564859.jpg
604KB, 2048x1365px
>>9290960
McCarthy deliberately writes very long, dragging passages to lull you, before smashing you with extremely graphic violence. It is indeed a chore sometimes, but it's worth the trudge.

And if you think he goes overboard, just read Suttree. He turns condoms floating in a nasty fetid river into some pretty decent borderline poetry.
>>
>19
>Australia
>Game of thrones

Thought I'd take a shot at the series, I've Found myself enjoying chapters of Tyron, Edward, Jon and Arya. Sansa and Catelyn chapters are pretty meh. Is the rest of series enjoyable ?
>>
>>9290570
I think if I were to of read it when it came out, it wouldn't of resonated with the "British mindset" as much as it does in this age. I'm sitting on the train right now and at least 50% of the carriage are watching shit on their phones.
>>
>20
>Italy
>The Virgin Suicides

It's fine so far, actually thought it was a little more psychological, but maybe it's because I'm still in the first part, plus I'm reading a traduction plus I don't really know the auctor.
>>
>28
>Quebec
>Diggin Up Mother by Doug Stanhope

So far a very interesting read.Somewhat reminiscent of a young H.S.Thompson, very rythmic but unpretentious, albeit somewhat poetic at times.

Particularly loved these lines :

>I've had the hunched spine of a defeated man since I was old enough to care when a girl pointed it out. My seahorse posture was made for drinking over a dive bar, looking through the bottom of my glass, long before I was old enough to be served there.
>>
>20
>USA
>As I Lay Dying
I like the multiple point of view narrative style although it gets confusing at times
>>
>>9279649
USA
the savage mind

Who is this tempting trap
>>
>>9279649
>27
>the most pretentious neighborhood on the planet: Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NY. The only place on earth where you'll call in a noise complaint for your butch trust fund lesbian neighbors screaming over strap on sex, and the cop that comes to the door is on elf their exes and an affirmative action pick on the force (hiding a safe distance behind her former US Marine tough black male unit partner, obviously placed to fill the power gap of the female cop, and the sex-deprived lesbian is the least feisty of the group, as the former US marine who signed up to kick in doors and shoot crackheads now has anticlimactic tasks of strap on noise complaints and telling trannies that walking their pet ferrets is against city ordinance). I fucking hate it here and I want to get nuked.
>Infinite Jest
>>
>>9292421
>tempting trap
Karen Gillan and she is not a trap
>>
Australia
Dying Inside
Enjoying Silverbergs florid prose
>>

Australia

Blood meridian. Its alright so far. Not at all boring. Assuming it is going to get better because of how revered it is

Didnt know there were so many Australians getting about
>>
>20
>Los Angeles
>Brothers Karamazov

It's been an experience reading it. I like the different character dynamics, the long winded exposition and the entire viewpoint on religion. Since it's my first read-through I've just been trying to focus on the general plot without trying to analyze it too much (I almost don't know where to start with any kind of heavy in-depth thematic analysis)
>>
File: 1429648278410.jpg (40KB, 500x382px) Image search: [Google]
1429648278410.jpg
40KB, 500x382px
>>9292607
hate traps ngl
>>
Toronto
Dune - its decent so far. not literature by any means, but it is some good science fiction
>>
>>9279649
geolocation_disabled
The Shrine of Jeffrey Dahmer

It's a much welcome departure from the usual romanticized/sensationalized look at serial killers, putting one of them in a broader cultural and mythological context. Also worth nothing is that Dahmer's life was so incredibly mundane and lacking, that even though it's a book explicitly about him, you'll be looking forward to the author's digressions the most.
>>
>>9293917
If I recall correctly, Jeffrey Dahmer intended to make a literal throne of sorts out of the bones/skulls of his victims, no?
>>
Ausfailia
Snow country
I am having a great time so far. There is something about good japanese literature that has a great melancholy beauty to it that I just love. Coulda finished it in one sitting if I wasn't so busy wrangling kangaroos.
>>
>>9294094
>Australia
>Snow country
Wut?
>>
>24
>Germany
>Sherlock Holmes The Novels (A Study In Scarlet, Sign of Four, Hound of Baskerville and The Valley of Fear) Penguin Classics version

First time I've read any Sherlock Holmes novel. I like the characters and the deductions, but the backstories of the murderers are way too longwinded. It's like Doyle reused old short story plots that he couldn't sell and just inserted them into the story.
>>
>>9279649
australia
an adultery
smooth style with well rounded metaphors but sometimes baggy imagery. the guy is so pompous, he's just as bad as the new englanders he hates. satire hits more than it misses though. farol > marina
>>
>>9288113
the castle is comfy af
>>
File: s-l225.jpg (10KB, 169x225px) Image search: [Google]
s-l225.jpg
10KB, 169x225px
NY, USA
pic related
Really good book so far, McCullers is underrated as shit
>>
Chile
Madame Bovary

Charles is a fucking joke.
>>
>>9293201
i like that peter knows "excited" already
>>
>>9294731
>4731▶
>18
>Chile
>Madame Bovary
>Charles is a fucking joke.
Charles is a huéon
>>
>>9279649
Currently in Poland, which is nowhere.
Blood Meridian.
I don't like things.
>>
>22
>IA
>The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
Digging it so far. I'm not used to female protagonists, but she's crazy enough to be relatable.
>>
USA (in the middle somewhere)
The Bible, Discourses on Livy, and a book about anthropology and phenomenology

>>9292452

If you have the money to live in Williamsburg, you have the money to move.

Inb4:

>But I secretly love hipster shit.
Move to Bushwick or Ridgewood.

>All of New York is like this!
Move to Astoria.
>>
>>9294266
Lmao.
Obviously I mean Yasunari Kawabatas novella Snow Country.
>>
>>9279649
>21
>USA
>The Skeptical Chymist / Growth of The Soil
>>
>>9296258
Haha fair enough. Derp. Legitimately curious though as to whether Australia has ever had snow before... by the sounds of it the continent is primarily desert.
>>
>>9296615
Yeah we get decent amounts down south. Actually been skiing down there before. Most places don't though.
>>
>21
>Portugal
>Infinite Jest

Took me a while to get into it, had to force myself to keep reading for the first ~200 pages, but now I'm loving it.
>>
Canada
Ulysses

Long and written by the Riddler. Joyce was definitely an autiste with such esoteric references.
>>
>>9279649
>27
>Canada
>Crime And Punishment

Fell for the Dosto meme months ago, started with The Brothers Karamazov (loved it too), C&P is blowing me away with the story, especially what's going on with Rodya, who would've thought an author from the 1800s know someone like me would come around and appreciate his characters. Got damn
>>
>>9296629
Oh wow, cool! Well, learn something new every day! Up here in Canada though we get snow every single year, and I love it. I can't see how those southerners down in the US can go years and years and years at a time without snow. We also find it hilarious when we hear about whole cities being shut down because of just an inch or so of snow; mere couple centimeters. Then again they probably don't have the tires for it and no doubt the majority of them down there have little to no experience in driving in the snow which in and of itself is quite dangerous if you don't know what you're doing, so I suppose it's for good reason. Get some people with the wrong tires driving around on snow at the same speeds as without and it's probably not going to end well...
>>
>18
>NY
>Lolita

Enjoying it so far. The description of the road trip makes me harder than the "romance".
>>
>>9282007
>sounds very appealing to me, where did you buy your copy?
I got it randomly over an ebay-like site here in Croatia that's selling used goods. The book's pretty good so far, it's a book by a communist about communists, doing commie stuff in I believe 1950s Spain.
>>
MD
On Conics
Getting towards the end of book III now, p good.

Elements of Pure Economics
Got to some equations today, but pretty simple basic stuff, still I can see that it's going to be a wild ride.

Discourses of Plato
Just finished Laches today, great distinction to be made between rashness and courage, a part of virtue.

Two Greeks and one French, what do I get?
>>
>25
>Florida
>Bros Karamazov

I like it and I like Garnett's translation as well, even though she gets a lot of shit. I'm only about 200 pages in but the part where the women come to see Zossima made me tear up a little.
>>
>>9283550
how do you read 2 things at the same time? especially a Dostoyevsky and a Pynchon? I just find it a bit absurd.
>>
> 28
> Germany
> 2061 odyssee III
part 1 and 2 seem to be better
>>
>18
>Ohio
>The Savage Detectives

I'm only around 40 pages into it, but I'm liking it a lot already. I loved 2666 so I'm sure I'll enjoy this too
>>
File: pretty.jpg (110KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
pretty.jpg
110KB, 640x640px
>19
>Australia
>Rules for Modern Life

Some stylish fuck from newyork teaching me things like cufflinks and not wearing black to a wedding. Am I supposed to know this already?
Thread posts: 222
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.