[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some good books about preindustrial farm/country life?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

What are some good books about preindustrial farm/country life? Can be fiction, non-fiction, diaries, whatever.
>>
For reference, I'm looking for stuff that captures this sort of feel:

The Oxen,

By Thomas Hardy

Christmas Eve, and twelve of the clock.
“Now they are all on their knees,”
An elder said as we sat in a flock
By the embers in hearthside ease.

We pictured the meek mild creatures where
They dwelt in their strawy pen,
Nor did it occur to one of us there
To doubt they were kneeling then.

So fair a fancy few would weave
In these years! Yet, I feel,
If someone said on Christmas Eve,
“Come; see the oxen kneel,

“In the lonely barton by yonder coomb
Our childhood used to know,”
I should go with him in the gloom,
Hoping it might be so.
>>
My Dairy Farm desu
>>
Growth of the soil by knut hamsun
>>
>>9278692
Came to post this
>>
Lark Rise to Candleford.
>>
>>9278668
Pardon me OP, but what is the name of that Van Gogh?
>>
>>9278843
Actually don't mind me, I've just found it.
>>
Anna Karenina
A Sportsman's Sketches
>>
>>9278702
Came to post this
>>
>>9278668
Shropshire Lad
>>
>>9278675
Bane?
>>
>>9278668
Look into bucolic poetry. Examples include Hesiod's Works and Days, Theocritus' Idylls, and Virgil's Eclogues.
>>
i could drown you into finnish books about preindustirla country life.

but you'd have to know the ebin language.
>>
>>9278668

the book you're looking for is The Good Earth. nobel prize winner about preindustrial china by Pearl S Buck.

“Spring passed and summer passed into harvest and in the hot autumn sun before winter comes Wang Lung sat where his father had sat against the wall. And he thought no more about anything now except his food and his drink and his land. But of his land he thought no more what harvest it would bring or what seed would be planted or of anything except of the land itself, and he stooped sometimes and gathered some of the earth up in his hand and he sat thus and held it in his hand, and it seemed full of life between his fingers. And he was content, holding it thus, and he thought of it fitfully and of his good coffin that was there; and the kind earth waited without haste until he came to it.”
>>
>>9280413
This is nice. I like this.
>>
Knut Hamsun's A Wanderer Plays on Muted Strings
>>
>>9280413
Oooof that's comfy
>>
>>9281373
>>9280832

you gotta read it. you'll be hooked from the first page. she's never brought up in female author threads and I wouldn't even know her if she wasn't from my home state but she's a true master. i think her growing up in china gave her that beautiful style of writing. i don't think anyone has as measured and varied sentence structure as her.
>>
>>9280413
>The Good Earth

thanks, that is so beautiful
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.