[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You'll never be a great writer unless you travel. What,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

File: tmd.png (829KB, 904x600px) Image search: [Google]
tmd.png
829KB, 904x600px
You'll never be a great writer unless you travel. What, you think you can do it from the bedroom or office desk? No, you must spend your youth meeting all sorts of people and doing all sorts of things. No one is going to praise the work of someone who doesn't know shit about anything.
>>
I traveled with a bunch of my black friends to your mom's house. I'd say that counts.
>>
>>9274889
GOT EEEEM
>>
>>9274885
>tfw many writers says they work and die alone
>tfw vollmann is the only worthwhile travel writer
>>
> proust
> lived his entire life in his attic
> never went anywhere
> acclaimed as one of the greatest novelists of all time

/thread
>>
>>9274885

but plenty of people travel all around and don't know shit about anything
>>
>Jack Kerouac spent his youth meeting all sorts of people and doing all sorts of things.
>He's absolutely shit.
>>
>spent 1 year in Western Africa
>4 months in Indonesia and Myanmar
>6 months in Ethiopia, Kenya and Tanzania
>another 6 in Indochina
>can't write
>>
>>9276197
>>9276187
these two posters make good points

Its about your inner experience, OP
The richness of the inner does not preclude as a necessity being able to afford to travel
There is an infinite inner space to travel
And as far as I'm concerned, this whole idea that you're going to have an "adventure" by traversing, say, the united states is fucking disgusting
Yeah, you can photograph every Target parking lot from New Jersey to Southern California

Sure the landscape is impressive but thats literally fucking it
No hitch hiking, no strange strangers, just you on your fucking lonesome JUST LIKE YOU LIVE IN YOUR OWN TOWN DONT EXPECT IT TO BE DIFFERENT ANYWHERE ELSE JUST CUZ YOUR MOVING AROUND FUCK I HATE PEOPLE WHO GO ON ABOUT TRAVELLING

Anything short of the Himmalayaz aint worth shit
>>
>>9274885
Kant never travelled more than 10 miles from his home city.

Just shut the fuck up, OP. You are basing your life on Disney aphorisms, just from your first post I know that pretty much every opinion you have is most likely wrong and/or pointless. Let it die.
>>
It's sad how few people on /lit/ have actually lived. I mean really lived. There are so many aspiring writers here who haven't even left their own country, or have only left it to holiday with family in their youth. There are people here who have not experienced a series of tumultuous relationships, people who have not hitchhiked for hundreds of miles in whatever direction suits them best that moment, people who have not found themselves drinking hard liquor with a gang of strangers at 2am in a city they can't even remember the name of. Me? I've done all these things. I've traveled the lonesome highways, caught trains and buses and sat shivering and damp in the passenger seats of cars belonging to people who told me more about life than the lonely and callow narcissists on this board ever have. I've gazed lovingly into the eyes of women who taught me the ineffable secrets of their mysterious sex. I've worked more jobs I can remember and learned more skills than I will ever need. I have made friends and enemies from coast to coast and experienced more emotional peaks and valleys than most people here can even comprehend. How can you guys even call yourselves writers when you haven't even mastered the world about which you are intending to write? How can you expect anybody to take your writing seriously when you have experienced barely more than a child afraid of what lies beyond the boundaries of his comfortable little world? My writing flows with an assurance that reflects my own internal state. The dialogue I write is representative of the parlance of the man on the street, not the child in the abstract universe you have concocted to compensate for the fact that the world outside your window terrifies and confuses you. When I write a profound sentence I do it knowing I will be understood and admired not only by the academic whiling away a quiet afternoon in his armchair, but also for the orphaned young man working sixty hours a week as a knuckle-puller in a Sheboygan abattoir. And all this at the age of nineteen, my literary life almost entirely ahead of me, several USBs hanging from my keychain full of stories that would no-doubt make the pale and sheltered suburbanites that browse this board gasp in incredulity. Next month I move to New York to begin a degree in English Literature, focusing on creative writing. The professor phoned me as soon as he had read my application to ask that I choose his university (it's one of the best in the country, why wouldn't I?) with the promise that he will personally guide me over the next three years, or however long it's going to take for me to get my first book out there. Have you lived /lit/? I mean, really lived?
>>
>>9276432
Kant was a notorious autist who didn't write fiction, and even his philosophy was literally autism write large.
>>
>>9276439
I can just tell that your next amazing anecdote is going to be sucking your new professor's dick.
>>
>>9274885
as somebody who has traveled often i agree that it can expand your mind and bring you into contact with amazing people, but it can also fill you with dread when you realize that all these beautiful places and all these amazing people do not touch you at all, that you feel no connection with them, that every moment still feels like a threat or imposition and that in spite of having journeyed vast distances around a country with rich history and culture, you still feel no sense of satisfaction, just the familiar silence inside that you now have to accept will follow you wherever you go. you have to take the good with the bad when it comes to traveling.
>>
>>9276439
10/10 for the subtle sarcasm.
>>
>>9276439
saved pasta
>>9276441
I bet you like french philosophy
>>
>Travelling
Knowing normies this is just codeword for doing what they normally do in exotic places with strangers.

Being somewhere strange doesn't itself make for meaningful experiences. And indeed if you're not able to have meaningful experiences at home and make your own life interesting without the aid of beginning stories with "So I was in country X" you probably wouldn't be able to get the full value out of visiting new places.
>>
>>9276484
>went outside out my home state and country to the other side of the world first time when i was 17 or 18
>felt nothing ol
>>
>>9276516
no, i've traveled the US, china and india. still have hemorrhoids from that last one.
>>
>>9276219
Himalaya is fine af, but the only thing it inspired me to write about was getting food poisoning at 4000m altitude.
>>
>>9274885
proust, leopardi, salinger...
>>
>>9276491
do you think it was?
>>
>>9276527
no im tlaking about myself
>>
>>9276439
You thought nobody on here would know what abattoir meant huh.You put that in there to make niggaz google huh.You thought you using a word i didnt know would put you above me huh.Just call it a slaughterhouse.Enjoy that wine you brought back from your first trip to france.
>>
>>9274885

don't worry once the globalists have their way none of this will matter
>>
>>9276439
wow. top quality bait.
>>
I really found myself in Laos.
>>
>18 years growing up on a fish hatchery
>4 years spent riding in a submarine
>2 years working for the NSA
>1 year married to a psycho bitch
>started writing a YA novel

Am I just fucking dumb or something?
>>
>>9276542
How was it?
>>
Traveling with money is bourgeoise entertainment. Traeling with nearly no, or no money, is an adventure.
>>
>>9278613
t. gypsy
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.