[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In film criticism, the term 'diegetic' is used to establish

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: eisenstein-editing.jpg (93KB, 385x385px) Image search: [Google]
eisenstein-editing.jpg
93KB, 385x385px
In film criticism, the term 'diegetic' is used to establish a device's relation to filmic reality. I know this term comes from the Greek concept of diegesis and mimesis, but the use is different.

What term is there in literary fiction to distinguish elements internal to narrative reality from external, beyond the division of form and content?

In film, a pop culture soundtrack is non-diegetic, the characters do not hear it, whereas background music as played from a radio is diegetic. (Often an element slides between the two, a record is played but the diegetic music becomes non-diegetic background.)

In literature, Ulysses' Circe chapter for example, much of what is going on is arguably representation. Leopold Bloom is not 'literally' within the context of his own reality experiencing the events of Circe, nor is he 'hallucinating' them. There are I would argue, "non-diegetic" characters in Circe. This raises the need for a term distinguishing elements of the writing not perceived by the character outside of form.

Thanks.
>>
You can not have a non diegetic character. Film features that distinction strictly because it is a different medium.
>>
>>9274045
>pop culture soundtrack
>>
Extradiegetic ?
>>
>>9274178
We aren't talking about characters though
>>
What term is there in literary fiction to distinguish elements internal to narrative reality from external, beyond the division of form and content?

Not quite analogous but a narration, perhaps? I'm thinking of a voiceover in a film being a nondiegetic element, for it isn't part of the internal reality of the characters being filmed. Yet, would a narrator count as a metacharacter in their own right?

Hmmm
>>
>>9274178
Then what would you term a character who does not exist in the fictional world of the narrative, but as a kind of representation in dialogue with only the reader.
>>
>>9274741
A narrator?
>>
>>9274045
is that Charles Carroll?
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.