[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Plato was discoursing on his theory of ideas and, pointing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 1474583720823.jpg (30KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1474583720823.jpg
30KB, 512x512px
>Plato was discoursing on his theory of ideas and, pointing to the cups on the table before him, said while there are many cups in the world, there is only one `idea’ of a cup, and this cupness precedes the existence of all particular cups. “I can see the cups on the table,” said Diogenes, “but I can’t see the `cupness'”. “That’s because you have the eyes to see the cup,” said Plato, “but”, tapping his head with his forefinger, “you don’t have the intellect with which to comprehend `cupness’.” Diogenes walked up to the table, examined a cup and, looking inside, asked, “Is it empty?” Plato nodded. “Where is the `emptiness’ which precedes this empty cup?” asked Diogenes. Plato allowed himself a few moments to collect his thoughts, but Diogenes reached over and, tapping Plato’s head with his finger, said “I think you will find here is the `emptiness’.

Why do you care about Plato when Diogenes proved him a hack more than 2000 years ago?
>>
>>9273361
>muh refutation.
Plato even if he was wrong was a fucking genious.
>>
>>9273361
>it's a Diogenes makes up stories about interactions with Plato he never had to try to make himself look cool episode
>>
>>9273379
autism != genius
>>9273389
not an argument
>>
Do we know if any of the Greeks ever died of banter?
>>
>>9273459
socrates died because and for his banter
>>
>>9273459
Now give the ass a drink of pure wine to wash down the figs!
>>
>>9273361
Nice.

Source?
>>
>>9273361
of course /lit/ thinks that the ancient Greek variant of calling someone a 'dumb retard' qualifies as an actual refutation
>>
I'm not sure why Plato would have been stumped by that

What makes the essence of emptiness different from the essence of cupness?
>>
>http://gnosis.org/library/grs-mead/TGH-v2/th205.html
>Asc. Are there, then, O Thrice-greatest one, no such things as an empty cask, for instance, and an empty jar, a cup and vat, and other things like unto them?
>Her. Alack, Asclepius, for thy far-wandering from the truth! Think’st thou that things most full and most replete are void?
>Asc. How meanest thou, Thrice-greatest one?
>Her. Is not air body?
>Asc. It is.
>Her. And doth this body not pervade all things, and so, pervading, fill them? And “body”; doth body not consist from blending of the “four”? Full, then, of air are all thou callest void; and if of air, then of the “four.”
>Further, of this the converse follows, that all thou callest full are void—of air; for that they have their space filled out with other bodies, and, therefore, are not able to receive the air therein. These, then, which thou dost say are void, they should be hollow named, not void; for they not only are, but they are full of air and spirit.

Reddit barrel man eats shit.
>>
>>9273361
Diogenes was a retard
I'm glad he's dead
>>
>>9273554
Is it possible for "nothing" to have an essence and if so what would it be?
>>
You should read Somoza. Plato is depicted as an autistic nerd, smart, but blind. It's all pretty funny while having a nice philosophical undertone.
>>
>>9273619
It is what you just imagined when you said "nothing"
>>
>>9273547

Wasn't that literally plato's argument?

>everybody who disagrees is just too dumb and plebeian to see the forms
>>
Well essences exist as concepts within the head so Diogenes, while taking a clever jab, was only proving Platos point.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.