[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where would be a good place to start with poetry? I read a little

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: 7236303-L.jpg (32KB, 312x400px) Image search: [Google]
7236303-L.jpg
32KB, 312x400px
Where would be a good place to start with poetry? I read a little bit of yeats poems today. They were alright, very rhymy. I like how they're not all retarded poems about religion or whatever. I really like maldorer. Where should I start if I want to be well poemed?
>>
>>9269127
also interested - are there books about how to read poems? like bloom saying to memorize them and whatnot
>>
maybe http://eclipsearchive.org/authors.html ?
>>
Paradise Loss
>>
>>9269127
>Yeats
>"alright"

LMAO
>>
>>9269459
No, I liked it.
>>
File: 1490050076444.jpg (11KB, 292x172px) Image search: [Google]
1490050076444.jpg
11KB, 292x172px
burr-tran roo-sell
>>
>>9269127
Just pick up an anthology and read at random. What poems of Yeats did you like?
>>
>>9269580
I read the first ones in the norton anthology of poetry. It's an older version of the anthology I got for like 4 dollars. I read the folly of being comforted, the magi, the lamentation of the old petitioner, and the lake isle of innisfree. I liked them, though I'm not sure what they mean.
>>
>>9269604
Have a read of:
T.S. Eliot - The Lovesong of J. Alfred Prufrock
John Keats - When I have fears that I may cease to be
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence
Percy Bysshe Shelley - Ode to the West
Wind
Wilfred Owen - Dulce et Decorum Est

If you like them, see what else the author has in the anthology.

>I liked them, though I'm not sure what they mean.
I don't think it really matters what a poem means, so long as you enjoy it. What does a Bob Dylan song like Desolation Row mean? What does a Kafka story mean? Who cares. It's how you immediately respond to it.
>>
Confucius to Cummings
- Ezra Pound
>>
>>9269604
Not that anon (I'm this anon >>9269459), but if you want to understand The Magi, you need to read Yeats's "Two Songs and a Play" and "The Second Coming."

These three poems all deal with the same theme. That's all the hint I'll give you.I could just tell you their meanings, but why deprive you the joy of analysis?

As for "The Folly of Being Comforted," your clues are "Maud Gonne," this is an historical figure, not a poem, and "No Second Troy" - this is a poem.

The Lake Isle of Innisfree can be deciphered on its own. You clue is "pastoral."

This is the first time I've read "Lamentation of the Old Pensioner." It can stand alone, like Innisfree, but gives some psychological context to "The Magi" and the related poems as well.

As for where to start - imo you can start where ever you like in poetry, but there are poets, like Yeats, who reference the works of other poets, authors of the past, and mythology so I would recommend starting with the old and moving to the new.

>Homer
>Virgil
>Ovid
>Sappho
>Catullus
>Shakespeare
>Milton
>Alighieri
>Blake
>Keats
>Burns
>O' Shaughnessy
>Tennyson
>Percy Bysshe Shelley
>Dickenson
>Whitman
>Eliot
>Pound
>Cummings
>Heinrich Heine
>Basho
>Issa
>Kikaku
>Oshikochi no Mitsune
>I would recommend Hispanic poets as well, but I'm not familiar with them yet.

This would be a good start.
>>
>>9270666
Sounds good anon. Thank you.
>>
>>9269758
Thank you anon.
>>
File: fussell.jpg (19KB, 316x499px) Image search: [Google]
fussell.jpg
19KB, 316x499px
>>9269132

Meter and Form are two of the most important aspects of poetry and it's a shame that people know so little about them. They are the building blocks of the art and learning about them will help you read poems better and be more responsive to them and therefore more appreciative of them. Pic related is a great accessible book on the subject.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.