[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I'm working through pic related, but I feel like it skips

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: Mythology.jpg (67KB, 478x640px) Image search: [Google]
Mythology.jpg
67KB, 478x640px
So I'm working through pic related, but I feel like it skips over a lot of stuff. By the time we get into the first couple of stories we're already encountering rather advanced concepts and structure. We have ideas such as mortals interacting with Gods, heroes, and rather intricate plots.

I feel like a lot of development up to this point was skipped over.

Is there any good book that (briefly) deals with the earliest forms of writing up until the Greeks? Jumping into some (relatively) advanced poetry makes me feel like I've missed a lot.
>>
>>9267702
To add to this, some stories, like that of Narcissus drowning feels like rather advanced topics of literature. Not like something that is a "start with..." anything.
>>
>>9267702
>>9267734
is this supposed to be a joke?
sage
>>
File: 1473114408345.jpg (9KB, 237x240px) Image search: [Google]
1473114408345.jpg
9KB, 237x240px
>>9267930
No
>>
pls respond
>>
my diary desu
>>
PLEASE
>>
>>9267702
its a pop intro book what did you expect

if you want an in depth history of greek writing then check lesky's a history of greek literature
>>
>>9267702
You think you're supposed to start with the Greeks because they're simpler or less "advanced" or something? Just because theirs was the first Western literature doesn't mean they wrote for children. Literature doesn't "develop" linearly starting with the simplest forms and concepts. That's a ridiculously misguided idea; get it out of your head fast if you want to enjoy the Greeks.

As for earlier writing, that would be the Sumerians and other Mesopotamians. No, they are not "simpler" than the Greeks. Finish your Hamilton first though.
>>
>>9271302
No, but isn't the idea to start with them because a lot of themes and ideas modern authors use, they also used? But not all their ideas are theirs, what's the difference between reading a modern author in a Narcissus like story, or reading the Narcissus story itself, if the modern author is doing to the Greek what the Greek is doing to some earlier, simpler story (Just as the modern story would be more advanced than the Greek one)?
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.