[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we all just agree that all the posh about "reaching

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

Can we all just agree that all the posh about "reaching the sublime" and "deep insights about the human condition" are just posh and accept that literature is comfy and "kinda fun" at best? Sure, maybe a book made you cry once, and sure maybe you enjoy the cadences of prose, but can we all just agree that there's no such thing as a divine level of experience that literature can give you, that's it's basically just more sophisticated entertainment? If you can't agree, please share with us your "sublime" experiences with literature.
>>
>>9266455
looks like someone's upset
>>
It's self evident that the proclaimed analysis of literature consists of an incoherent analytical framework, making unfalsifiable claims, and monopolising the alleged ability to do this through social structures such as citation circle jerks and domination of certain government grants.

Art came first and then the academics / analysers come along to lecture the birds how to fly. Formalism and jargon makes anything look intellectual to idiots.
>>
Literature and art in general are not special. They are the same stuff as everything else. But art tells you, offensively, because it has to, that it is sublime or points toward the sublime, since, ordinarilly, people dont think of a birds as forms of the sublime. So J.A Baker comes along, says: Look, faggot, a bird!
>>
>>9266440
Can we all just agree that all the posh about "reaching the sublime" and "deep experience of spiritual nature" are just posh and accept that sex is comfy and "kinda fun" at best? Sure, maybe a girl made you come once, and sure maybe you enjoyed touching her boobs, but can we all just agree that there's no such thing as a divine level of experience that sex can give you, that's it's basically just more sophisticated masturbation? If you can't agree, please share with us your "sublime" experiences with sex.
>>
>can we agree that posh is posh
uh sure I guess
>>
>>9266554
this would be funny except that nutting all over a qt3.14 is really the most sublime thing I have evr experienced
>>
>>9266440
Reminder that not being able to grasp and assess metaphysical concepts is a sign of stupidity.

Keep thinking that ethics do not exist because we can't find them with a microscope, you dimwit.
>>
>>9266748
>literature is about metaphysics
so many triggered bookfags around here.
>>
>>9266440
I'm not sure about deep insights into the human condition, but I have had many moments that I think can be described as sublime while reading. It's not like spiritual enlightenment or nirvana, but I feel awestruck, my mind goes blank, and my body physically shivers with pleasure when I read something of unusually intense beauty. For example, today I was reading Yeats's Men Improve With the Years and the line "And yet and yet" triggered this reaction in me. Every syllable seemed immense and ancient, like each was carved out of stone. "And yet and yet". No commas, no ornaments, just two of the most common conjunctions in the English language repeated in iambic pentameter. At that moment within the context of the poem, "And yet and yet" was the absolute embodiment of doubt and longing, pure beauty expressed in the most simple and lucid manner imaginable, a phrase totally empty of human awkwardness and error. I have no word to describe this language other than "sublime." It was the fucking word of God; it was the perfection of human thought. The physical and mental release I felt when my eyes moved over these letters is the closest I've ever come to a religious experience.
>>
>>9267124
cringe
>>
>>9267124
And yet and yet.
>four syllables
>iambic pentameter
>four
>penta
>>
>>9266440

I'm not gonna take any example, but sometimes when I wanna read again one of these "reaching the sublime" books, I don't feel worthy enough to keep reading. I feel kinda dirty, not at the same level as the book itself. This happens for instance when I'm obsessed with anything inferior to the book : too much work, or in love with some bitch, or depressed for some reason.

This, at the same time, is exactly the kind of situation where some "entertainment" book would be most useful.

Sublime books are the ones that will even make you lighter and pull you higher, when you're already as happy yet as you could be. It's not about entertainment, it's ratherthe same feeling as meeting the one who.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.