[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you guys think about audiobooks? Is there anything about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: tmp_19363-Audible11197997.png (18KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_19363-Audible11197997.png
18KB, 300x300px
What do you guys think about audiobooks? Is there anything about them that make them inherently worse than actually reading a book? Are there any notable differences psychologically between the two that anyone is aware of?
>>
>>9265771
>Is there anything about them that make them inherently worse than actually reading a book?

Yeah a ton, chief among them is that audio is far more continuous form of communication in which propositions flow at an uninterrupted and connected stream.
Whereas in writing every proposition is available in clearly divisible representations of concepts available to you in any chose pace you wish to take. It allows one to think more critically and analyse the nature and implications of a given expression where in aural comprehension you have far less opportunity for such consideration.

It depends from there what type of book you are dealing with, but for instance the idea of trying to listen to serious philosophy is laughable.
>>
>>9265771
I love them when I'm working. They're perfect for my concentration, so I find them on youtube- but finding ones where I like the narrator is kind of tough.

I get the feeling Audiobooks were actually made for that reason, for people to consume books while they're too busy to actually read it themselves, which is nice.

It's also comfy- sometimes I put one on even if I have time. It just feels nice to have someone read to you like you're a little kid again.

Anyway, yeah sure they're fine. Everyone absorbs information differently- so they're probably actually better for people who are auditory learners, but I still prefer reading.

>>9265800
has a point, but in the end, information is information and if absorb it, then it doesn't really matter how.
>>
>>9265816
See there you are wrong and completely naive. Reading is not merely a passive receptive act, its a productive act. You're not merely accepting information but are producing an interpretation and analysis of it. To this ends writing is indisputably more effective when it comes to complex propositions.

Though I don't hold anything against them for experiencing most fiction where they may indeed be better for you
>>
>>9265830
>Reading is not merely a passive receptive act, its a productive act. You're not merely accepting information but are producing an interpretation and analysis of it.
yes, but that doesn't require the written word. That simply requires the transmission of the information. Interpretation is something that happens automatically- you couldn't stop it if you tried and it doesn't matter what the medium is.

Analysis is, yeah, more conscious, and I agree if we're talking about complex books, but that's not the kind of thing you do for enjoyment- it's a project in itself and it's not something you'd do in the car or while working on a project.

A deep intellectual analysis isn't required to enjoy most books and they are enjoyable to their full extent via audio book.
>>
>>9265854
Agreed
>>
Oh hey this thread
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.