[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What novel to do you think of as the 'national epic'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

File: globe.jpg (33KB, 250x326px) Image search: [Google]
globe.jpg
33KB, 250x326px
What novel to do you think of as the 'national epic' of your home country?
>>
>>9264192
Leaves of Grass
>>
Zadie Smith's White Teeth
>>
Countries are for idiots, fuck all countries.
>>
>national epic
>novel
lmao, culturelet countries are so cute
>>
Voss
>>
As I Lay Dying
>>
Pedro Páramo
>>
>>9264208
Good choice anon.

Have you read 'Fredy Neptune' by Les Murray? Apparently that's the closet thing Aus has to an Epic.
>>
Monadnoc by Emerson
>>
Toward the Last Spike, by EJ Pratt.
>>
>>9265015
I have not. I will check it out
>>
Beautiful Losers
>>
File: Flag of the Irish free state.jpg (45KB, 640x378px) Image search: [Google]
Flag of the Irish free state.jpg
45KB, 640x378px
Ulysses obviously.
>>
File: Flag_of_Ireland.svg.png (459B, 255x128px) Image search: [Google]
Flag_of_Ireland.svg.png
459B, 255x128px
>>9265517
Oh, whoops. Getting my /int/ bait mixed up with actual flags.
>>
Mein Kampf
>>
File: 9780330362924.jpg (27KB, 300x460px) Image search: [Google]
9780330362924.jpg
27KB, 300x460px
We are a simple people
>>
Moby Dick
>>
>>9265526
Ausfag here

Yeah this guy pretty much right. Aus/lit/ never even reached adolescence.
>>
Trainspotting
>>
File: Karlshamn_auswandererdenkmal.jpg (2MB, 2592x3872px) Image search: [Google]
Karlshamn_auswandererdenkmal.jpg
2MB, 2592x3872px
It's either the Emigrants series, or the collective works of Astrid Lindgren.

Perhaps Selma Lagerlöf's works too, she's received a Nobel prize and everything.

It's kind of hard to think of one single national epic.
>>
>>9264192
If it can only be one book, then Witi Ihimaera' 'The Whale Rider' but if it can involve more than one book then Maurice Shadbolt's New Zealand Wars Trilogy (Season of the Jew , Monday's Warriors , The House of Strife)
>>
Macunaíma by Mário de Andrade
>>
>>9264195
>novel
>Leaves of Grass
>>
File: Flag_of_Egypt.svg.png (24KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
Flag_of_Egypt.svg.png
24KB, 800x533px
Cairo Trilogy by Naguib Mahfouz

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairo_Trilogy
>>
There isn't one that fits with all the transformations Germany has gone through
>>
Peer Gynt, personally, but most people would probably go with the Eddas.
>>
The Martín Fierro. (Its a collection of poems about a rural landworker sent to war. He deserts and tries to return to his home, but discovers that his house, farm, and family are gone and then, he becomes and outlaw)
>>
>>9264192
We don't have one, thank God.
>tfw eternal Anglo
It is a good feel.

Oh, and because I'm an eternal something else as well, I'll also claim the Bible.
>>
>>9265514
Not a leaf but great choice anon.
>>
I guess the rough translation would be The Hatchet. It's pretty good.
>>
>>9265015
Was gonna say for the the term of his natural life by clarke
>>
>>9265896
Once were Warriors is real great, both book and film.
>>
>>9266129
I agree, but I'm not sure I'd consider it a 'national epic' of NZ. To be honest even the examples aren't that strong, it's not like Maori mythology has been compiled into a defining work of literature or anything.
>>
The Discovery of Heaven by Harry Mulisch
>>
>>9266133
That's a damned shame those people look really interesting and proud you'd think they had someone write about them.

T. Played rugby in my youth for 6 years
>>
>>9266137
You might like 'Foreskin's Lament' by Greg McGee, it's a play based around the Springbok Tour, though it tends to deal with hyper-masculinity in NZ Culture, good read regardless
>>
>>9266156
Thanks lad I'm genuinely curious.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.