[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Here's a list of philosophers that I'm supposed to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: Giambattista_Vico.jpg (17KB, 185x219px) Image search: [Google]
Giambattista_Vico.jpg
17KB, 185x219px
Here's a list of philosophers that I'm supposed to know, but don't know at all.

Sextus Empiricus - Plotinus - Averroes- Anselm of Canterbury - William of Ockham - Malebranche - Giambattista Vico - Berkeley - Etienne de Condillac - Schopenhauer - Auguste Comte - Kierkegaard - Emmanuel Levinas

Who should I start with ? looking for non-bullshit stuff. It doesn't have to be extremely easy, just interesting.
>>
>>9262191
Sextus. Vico too is fun and engrossing in a good /lit/ kind of way. A few (you) mention are easy; Kierkegaard a chore. Difficult, but the most rewarding, is Plotinus. Especially if youre a writer.
>>
File: 1436882070124170597.jpg (25KB, 400x386px) Image search: [Google]
1436882070124170597.jpg
25KB, 400x386px
>scholastics
>philosophy
>>
For the history of Christian philosophy (presumably what you're studying here), start with Aristotle and Plotinus
>>
>>9262234
Kierkegaard's philosophy and writing demands scrutiny, but rewards the careful reader. I recommend fear and trembling, even to an atheist, as a book that puts the idea of faith and its legitimacy into question. A background in Hegel and Continental philosophy helps, but is not necessary.
>>
>>9262273
This is true, and I like Kierkegaard. But he really aims at the reader moreso than any other philosopher, and having to battle this intrusiveness is what I meant by 'chore'. The ones I've returned to are Concept, and Sickness.
>>
>>9262234
>Especially if youre a writer.

Why?
>>
>>9262325
Because he's a synthetic (as opposed to an analytic) SUPER intelligence, meaning he gathers together, merges his examples, has wonderful, unexpected insights that nonetheless strike one as being on. He's a very poetic philosopher, and, once you get into his rhythm, even enjoyable.

Writing is itself a synthetic operation. Analysis does occur, but if (you) can't bring your shit together and make a point you may as well hang up your boots. For me, Plotinus was helpful-- to go any further into the HOW of it would take an essay.
>>
>>9262480
>synthetic (as opposed to an analytic)

explain what do you mean with this, please
>>
>>9262595
I tend to keep as close to the etymologies as I can when actually writing but, for brevity, consider an -idea- : to analyze it wd be to attempt to break it down into component parts, if it has any, and to inspect these closely and for whatever purpose so as to see what the original idea (unanalyzed) looks like by comparison-- science, and much philosophy, wd discover things, ideas anew through such analyses. Or consider data mining-- this is primarily an analytical operation used to discover new trends etc. in old data. Now consider not just one but three ideas (or Hegel the way he moves his dialectic, or Kant in his description of the TUA), instead of breaking them down you mash them up to see what result (you) get-- the use of metaphor would be I believe a very clear instance of synthesis in action. Analysis breaks down, synthesis builds up. Both are useful. But writing is ultimately an instance of synthesis (bringing together) while attempting to discover the component mineral elements in a slice of mountainside, analysis.
>>
>>9262869
Plotinus, by the way, gradually merges a host of ideas up into 'the one'-- not so fanciful if you understand that what he's aiming at is some approximation of the human mind. Many of his constructions (as I recall them) were beautiful. And I really did feel as if I was learning while reading him.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.