[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why can't I enjoy Sci Fi? What's wrong with me that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: 1489839666742.gif (158KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1489839666742.gif
158KB, 500x375px
Why can't I enjoy Sci Fi? What's wrong with me that Sci Fi does absolutely nothing for me? Can you learn to like it?
>>
File: sk.jpg (76KB, 512x683px) Image search: [Google]
sk.jpg
76KB, 512x683px
how did you enjoy Stanislav Lem's Solaris?
>>
>>9258425
Wtf have you read?
>>
To be honest, it's just fine that you don't like Sci-Fi. The genre is generally nothing but schlock. If anything, you should count your natural aversion as a blessing.
>>
You're in the wrong place to ask that question. The thread is about to be flocked with pseuds claming that sci-fi is a lowly genre fiction so they can look smart in front of anonymous strangers.
>>
>>9258425
This >>9258683
It's a wide genre and it's impossible to give an informed answer with no idea what you've tried reading
>>
For me at least it's because sci-fi focuses too much on objects and unemotional topics. A book that spends ages describing an imagined technology doesn't hold my attention compared to one focused on someone's internal experience.

I think there's a kind of thinking/feeling divide between scifi and other genres, and I prefer feeling.
>>
i can't bring myself to like sci-fi either, it just doesn't get me; on the other side blade runner is my favorite movie along with 2001 space odyssey
>>
>>9258425
Try looking something you are interested, here is a list by topic http://pastebin.com/ARZ7haKc

>>
>>9258833
You should read Mona Lisa Overdrive
>>
>>9258833
Many of the sci-fi classics are character driven and only use the technology as a backdrop
>>
>>9258425
The key to liking SF is to forget about Heinlein, Asimov, and Clarke, or most other Campbellian writers, who emphasized the technical and problem solving aspects while neglecting the storytelling and human interest.

Have you tried these five?

Ray Bradbury - The Martian Chronicles
Ursula Le Guin - Left Hand Of Darkness
Philip K Dick - Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?
Strugatsky Brothers - Roadside Picnic
Frederik Pohl - Gateway

Also consider the novella/short form, which is arguably the more well suited to the genre.

And join us/lurk in the SFFG thread.
>>
>>9258934
I have an autographed copy
>>
Because every book you come across in this world isn't going to be the minimalist, deconstructed, post modernist Catcher in the Rye gay fanfiction you're obviously waiting on. Stop being ignorant and enjoy some jet packs and robots you two dollar pseud faggot
>>
>>9258999
>Androids
>not Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch
???
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.