[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>age >location >current book you're reading

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 224
Thread images: 20

File: 1489714549823.jpg (140KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1489714549823.jpg
140KB, 1080x1080px
>age
>location
>current book you're reading and how do you like it
>>
> 9-years-old
> Aleppo, Syria
> the little prince, it's ok
>>
File: 1489721259780.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1489721259780.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>9258240
>22
>DC
>The Encantadas and Other Stories by Herman Melville

It's brilliant, absolutely brilliant. He just might be my favorite writer.
>>
>>9258257
>Aleppo

Oh

How's life for you
>>
>20
>UK
>The Recognitions

Closing in on the final part. What a ride. Probably the most consistently enjoyable book I've read yet.

The meme was worth it.
>>
>>9258257
Oh wait, I get it now
>>
>>9258240
brazil
the poetry anthology of manuel bandeira
i'm not liking it, 95% of these poems are garbage in my opinion
>>
God got lazy on this one. Or maybe G just knew you only need so much.
>>
>>9258272
It's actually paradise NOT like the fake news says...SAD.
>>
>40s
>Northern hemisphere
>Several at the moment, and I like them all

>>9258272
A devastated war zone. (Thanks Obama) Last I heard it was recaptured by Syrians though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9F-cHc5Qog
>>
File: 1489460110650.gif (618KB, 313x235px) Image search: [Google]
1489460110650.gif
618KB, 313x235px
>>9258349
I didn't think you were that old, butters.
>>
NL
Halfway, it reads pretty easy and it's quite nice. I really like the verbosity.
>>
>>9258240
>24
>Brazil
>Atlas Shrugged

It's bad but not offensively bad.
>>
>21
>Estonia
>This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession

Pretty boring so far. It's been 200 pages of musical and neurological theory that I already knew. Dumb pop-sci.
>>
MI
Invention of Morel
I'm enjoying it so far
>>
>25
>SoCal
>Don Quixote, Moby Dick, Gargantua

>>9258279
What page you on? Most people tend to think the last 150-or-so pages drag on. Personally, I love it.
>>
File: bjork-2005-q-awards-16.jpg (208KB, 1024x1212px) Image search: [Google]
bjork-2005-q-awards-16.jpg
208KB, 1024x1212px
>>9258352
We all gotta go sometime.

4chan gave me grey hairs though.
>>
>19
>Bavaria
>Island in the Stream

half way through and the good parts are only somewhat making up for the bad ones.
>>
>20
>Argentina
>Just finished The Trial by Kafka

It was a good read all in all, but I'm not that much into that genre so I didn't really enjoyed it.

Going to start off with >Dostoevsky, some easy one so I can understand his utter difficult later books.
>>
>>9258589
Around 670, reading the chapter on the party at Brown's right now. Still got a bit to go before part 3, but not one page has been a drag so far.
>>
>27
>italy
>snob by jasper griffin

hilarious, worth reading for the great span of historical periods and intellectual figures displayed, well put together and very complete
>>
>>9258349
>>Several at the moment, and I like them all
TELL US THEIR NAMES, BITCH. We already believe you're a grill, butters, you don't need to do this shit. Name 'em.
>>
>25
>Munich
>Le Rouge et le Noir
>>
>19
>New Jersey
>Dance Dance Dance
>>
>>9258839
Any time I see these threads, I see little to zero interest in the titles (Why I rarely answer in them) but now that you asked, and so rudely, I can let the other shoe drop.

I am reading an anthology of anarchism by Guérin, The King Must Die by Renault, Ghosts of Freedom by Charles King. And a couple others I last read from back in December, so skipping.
Last finished books include a Moomin book, a collection of short stories from Jansson, collected essays of Emma Goldman, and The Ego and Its Own from you know who.
Life, grinding nonsense and other interests, keep me from polishing them off easily.

>>9258240
Hubba hubba, btw.
>>
>>9258914
:3 you always read the best girl books. you finished the comfy ones, except ego which is dry as shit. better off reading the goethe bits he quotes.
>>
>20
>London
>The Vivisector by Patrick White

I don't know why people don't know more about White, he's the only Australian to win the Nobel and he's a very unique writer. I loved Voss so I thought I'd try this.
>>
>>9258933
Fuck off back to plebbit with this behavior.
>>
>25
>Boston
>In Search of Lost Time: Sodom and Gomorrah
It's good. Surprised at the consistence of the quality. If anything it increases. The discussion of "inverts" in the first chapter of this volume was very strange.
>>
>>9258986
What are inverts?
>>
File: Goethe - Italian Journey.jpg (262KB, 736x1125px) Image search: [Google]
Goethe - Italian Journey.jpg
262KB, 736x1125px
>>9258933
Stirner's shorter bits (chapters in EaiO included) are best. The False Principal of Our Education and answering his critics, are both pretty sweet.

Still really interested in getting Goethe's Italian Journey. I similarly want to get up and go to Greece to help fuck shit up
>>
>>9258990
Homosexuals
>>
>feeding trips attention
shan't be posting in this thread, lads
>>
Brazil
Palomar by Italo Calvino

Shit is crazy, Calvino is fucking brilliant and this book is absolutely great. It's fun as fuck and deep as fuck, I can't believe how light and humorous it is while at the same it kicks back to real life as something really meaningful. It's about vision, sense of reality, sense of self.
>>
>>9258293
Tô ligado mano, não curto mto também não. Já leu Manoel de Barros?

>>9258389
É uma merda esse daí brother, se liga. Fica um tempo sem ler e volta pra ver se consegue visualizar a bosta que é.
>>
>>9258972
quiet, i'm talking to our gf impersonator.
>>9259002
have you read sterne's sentimental journey through france and italy? you might like it, he was with a diplomatic mission at the time.
>>
>19
>Toronto
>Bible - book of Matthew
Gives me some hope in this dark city.
>>
>>9258240
New England
Ulysses
What do you guys think are the hardest chapters, I'm having real trouble with a few of them
>>
File: Beauty.jpg (119KB, 620x630px) Image search: [Google]
Beauty.jpg
119KB, 620x630px
>>9259029
Never heard of it. Have a link or name?

>>9259017
Here's your (You) attentionlad
>>
>>9259078
How about just call out male lust instead of complaining
Fucking women
>>
>>9259078
laurence sterne, the guy who wrote tristram shandy. it's a bit of a misnomer, because he doesn't get to italy because it's probably incomplete. it's very funny.
>>
>>9259088
Men and women should be allowed to lust after one another more freely, anon.
I dislike the power games and morality trips immensely
>>
>>9259099
Get off your high horse. No one is free.
>>
> 24
> Paris
> "First as tragedy, then as farce" S. Zizek

Hates this fakery of a guy. However, I stand by "read what you hate to better understand what you fight against".
>>
File: A.jpg (64KB, 784x1000px) Image search: [Google]
A.jpg
64KB, 784x1000px
>>9259101
Why do you think I'm an anarchist?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00M54YtMT1U
>>
>19
>New York
>Physics by Aristotle

Closing in on the end and I've reached his final discussion on the possibility of an uncaused cause. His repudiation of Zeno and diatribe on the traversibility of the infinite was dense but upon further reflection I believe I was supposed to use concepts expounded on earlier in the book and apply them to his arguments, which make begin to make more sense when seen in that light. Good thing I'm taking notes.
>>
>25
>BC interior
>against nature, by huysmans

better than wilde

>>9259078
the ideas expressed in that caption suck
>>
Brazil
Some Hegel's lectures

It's alright as an introduction to his thought and to Plato but he repeats himself a little too much and he doesn't delve too deep on the details of the dialogues, just a general summary of their ideas.
>>
>>9259177
It doesn't negate or excuse the vain, but it does call out the overly judgmental and hypocritical male who prefers the comforts of the misogynistic world. I think the ideas described suck.
>>
>>9259177
Eat shit before you talk of John Berger's words.
>>
>>9258349
Oh, damn.
How's middle life?

>18 year old young shithead
>Pacific Northwest
>Deuteronomy, good recap of Numbers

Glad to be back, fellas.
>>
>>9258240
>22
>Dallas
>Thus Spake Zarathustra
>>
>tripfagging this hard
>>
>>9259250
Just started, so can't comment on whether I like it or not. First time I'm reading Nietzche, his writings are very different from what right-wing frogposters on Twitter claim it to be
>>
>>9259215
John Berger is a hack why are you defending him
>>
>>9259248
Contradictably ataraxiaratic and agitated/excited at the impeding societal changes, which will either kill us or give us a Star Trekian eutopia.
Hating the health issues, but I'm doing better than most in my class/age.
I know a woman in her 30s, no kids, with an as yet diagnosed must less treated problem with her leg. The US is literally sickening.
>>
Chicago
death with interruptions Jose Saramago, great story so far
>>
>>9259286
No one cares at this point.
>>
>21
>Baltimore
>The Strangled Queen, its slow as hell but enjoyable so far
>>
>>9258240
>it's a "fbi is datamining and matches age and actual locations to IPs" thread
Nice pic you will catch all the underage virgins
>>
>>9259161
Why Aristotle, and why physics? Just curious. How much of his other stuff have you read?
>>
>>9259286
Well, I hope your kids get to enjoy a Star Trekian Utopia. I didn't know there was much social change in the Northern Hemisphere (I'm assuming Canada) at this point. I'm optimistic about my country (US) with the new plans to work with Russia to destroy the evil that is ISIS.
>>
>>9259359
I'm going through [western] philosophy chronologically so naturally after finishing up with Plato Aristotle was next on the list. I'm reading Physics because it seemed like the most obvious work to proceed to after the Organon, which I spent the past year pouring over. Physics in particular is very enjoyable.
>>
File: 1458431050432.jpg (134KB, 750x740px) Image search: [Google]
1458431050432.jpg
134KB, 750x740px
>>9259204
see picture, this is you and your kind

>>9259215
so eat john berger's words then
>>
>>9259379
Wow no joke I'm doing exactly the same thing, but am one step behind. Spent a long time with Plato + secondary work on him, peeked into Xenophon's Socratic works, and have been working on the organon for about a month so far. Have read through posterior analytics so far, but am probably going to spend the next 2 weeks reading some commentaries on prior/posterior to get a better grasp before finishing the organon and moving on to physics.

Have you been reading commentaries? Which edition are you using? How much time did you spend devoted to the organon over the past year? That seems like way more time than I want to spend on it, although it's looking like I'll spend 2-2.5 months on it anyway.
>>
>>9259388
No, attentionlad. I already told you it didn't excuse vanity, it merely points out your severe insecurity.
The lower half of your pic seems a bit like liberal pap
>>
>>9259055
i know that feel bro... God is my only light in this forsaken city..
>>
>>9259403
I've been reading the standard two volume Barnes collection of his Complete Works without commentary/secondary sources. I interspersed my readings of the Organon with unrelated books so I'd typically spend a few days on the shorter works like Categories and De Interpetatione and up to a month on the lengthier works like the Analytics and Topics while reading other things in-between them. Started it in May so if you keep at it without breaks or unrelated readings you can probably finish up in about a third of that time frame
>>
>tripfag calls others attention seeking
wew
>>9258240
just finished W&P, thinking about Martin Chuzzlewit next. Had a friend recommend it to me. Thoughts?
>>
File: IMG_20170318_210459964.jpg (2MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170318_210459964.jpg
2MB, 1836x3264px
>22
>México
>pic related

Very informative book, brief but to the point. It also includes tons of pictures of the evolution of the symbols that constitute the national flag.
>>
>>9259319
I think the FBI has better things to do than spy on a couple of high functioning autists sharing cookie recipes on a Taiwanese sewing board
>>
>>9258240
>23
>Bosnia
>Flannery O'Connor - It's Hard To Find A Good Man

It's good.
>>
Brazil
Musashi

Amazing. Getting to the latter parts now and Musashi's development as a samurai is so well written. The way the author writes it so that Musashi "conceives" basic eastern philosophy concepts out of his life makes the book a whole another level of interesting. Not only does it have good plot and good characters, it's also a good way of making a first approach to Japanese culture and history. I feel like high fantasy should be more like this and less like asoiaf, but I guess lord of the rings had too big an impact for books like these to be read as an "epic" anymore.
>>
>>9259528
>The FBI doesn't already have your name, location, age, emails, texts and bank account(s)
how can anyone be this delusional
>>
>20
>England
>Lolita, probably one of the best books I've read in the past 3 years
>>
>>9259528
>high functioning
don't be so quick
>>
>23
>Canada
>Justine, Or The Misfortunes of Virtue
Enjoyable although repetitive. Not super keen on finishing since it is just putting the character in different scenarios in order for it to argue the same point subsequently. I look forward to reading some of Sade's later stuff, assuming it reads as something more experienced.
>>
>>9259055
>this dark city
omg
you need to travel so you can appreciate how great you've got it. Toronto is literally on of the top 10-15 cities in the world, ffs.
you'd absolutely die if you lived in an average city, leet alone an actual hellhole like Monrovia or Aleppo or Detroit or Cleveland.
>>
>>9259640
read her sister's book
>>
>25
>Murifat
>Naomi by Tanizaki Junichiro

I'm sensing a curious camaraderie with Joji though I'm only 50 pages in. Am I fucked?
>>
>>9259259
He's essentially the anti-nationalist and a huge chunk of his polemics were anti-German. Right wing tards jizz at the word 'übermenschen' without actually reading his work.
>>
>24
>Iowa
>One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch
It's pretty good.
>>
>>9259688
samsara sucks anon

any place in the world can and will turn into hell
>>
>>9259286
were getting old bfly
>>
>26
>Florida, USofA
>Forbidden Colors, Mishima

It's been a challenging read thus far, not that it's hard to read, but it challenges certain notions of love, sexuality, beauty, art, etc. I think I might be gay.
>>
>>9258240
Moby Dick - 40 pages left
I don't want it to end.
>>
>>9258240
>LII
>France
>books by and on Julien Gracq, both greatly enjoyable.
>>
>>9259688

he's a far right-wing nut

what do you expect, he has zero perspective on life
>>
>>9258272
Nigga
>>
File: 1455953114431.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1455953114431.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>9259924

as a non-white man i can tell you that the far left are far more illogical and lacking in perspective these days. it's honestly pathetic the way they're so led around by their emotions: appeals to emotion, emotional reasoning, fuckin "microaggressions" whatever the fuck they are. the far left is demoralizing people and sapping their respective nations of vitality and strength.

the far left have turned into bitches. they are a joke.
>>
>21
>Sweden
>Bible, Exodus
It's pretty good. Why did God harden Pharaoh's heart?
>>
>>9258240
twenny denver path to the nest of spiders
it's good but not at all what he meant to create
>>9258349
upset that you already posted the titles and i don't get to be the one to pester you about it
>>9258391
>committing to 200 pages of something you already know
i see a lot of myself in you
>>9258589
whatcha think of gargantua, anon-chan
>>9258781
curious, what genre would you classify it as which you dislike?
>>9259018
why are there so many brasilians is it a joke, also, great description of palomar and calvino in general
>>9259558
please leave
>>9259640
PLEASE LEAVE
>>
>21
>USA
>Recently finished The Tempest. It was really good. I think I cried at the end. Now I'm reading the first Lemony Snicket prequel book.
>>
england
lincoln in the bardo

i really love it. it's very original, deeply funny and deeply heartfelt
>>
>>9259688
The sky in Toronto is always grey, all the buildings are high rises and they are all made of concrete so they are grey as well. There is mentally ill ppl literally everywhere i go. Loads of crime that i even personally got yo experience being a hero in, i stopped a bike thief from cutting a bike lock on a main street at 12pm NOON and held my ground despite him kicking and shouting at me, i was lucky to didn't get stab by a needle. My roommate steals from me. Past dark the streets are scary af full of scary ppl.

>top city in the world
Tbh i just wanna live a simple life on the countryside and write my music and songs and poems to my wife and children one day. Toronto is literally a slightly better version of New York but that doesn't make it any less shit.

But id like to be open monded see from ur perspective, where should i travel in Toronto that you think makes it so great?
>>
singapore
tuesdays with morrie

feels interesting but i'm only at the start and have yet to delved more into the book. i just got into reading it after having received the book as a gift
>>
I'm the guy who was about to read The Anome in the last incarnation of this thread. I finished the Durdane trilogy. It was alright, but I'm going to take an indefinite break from Vance now. Thinking about reading some Jo Walton.
>>
London
Just started Crime & Punishment coming off a reading of Notes from the Underground, which I loved. I can very much see myself enjoying this.
>>
File: hastings.jpg (121KB, 1200x665px) Image search: [Google]
hastings.jpg
121KB, 1200x665px
>>9259688

Canadian cities can be very nice but they have isolated pockets of pure hell where all the homeless crazy people cluster in droves.

20 years of permissive drug policies+no mental hospitals= The Downtown Eastside
>>
>23
>Slavlands
>Neuromancer

It's pretty comfy desu. And I am not even a fan of sci-fi.
>>
>23
>Australia
>The House of Mirth (for an american lit class, i started degree a little later than most)
It's kind of like american psycho in 1900 and without the murders? Im getting a guilty amount of enjoyment from all the gossiping and bitching going on though.
>>
File: images.jpg (150KB, 719x1080px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
150KB, 719x1080px
>29
>Connecticut
>11/22/63

I haven't read any King except for It and Insomnia, the latter of which I've reread a couple times and really enjoy. 11/22/63 is giving me some serious Insomnia vibes.

-Lee and Marina vs Helen and Ed (with a baby on each side to boot!)
-Sadie knowing George is up to some foreboding future task seems akin to Lois figuring Ralph is up to something near the end of the novel

Am I reading too much into this or does King get repetitive in his works?

I'm on chapter 21/31 and some parts have really dragged on, but I never leave a book unfinished so I'm plowing through it. I just know there's going to be a twist or something fun coming up... Please don't tell me there isn't!
>>
File: FassBesto.jpg (184KB, 800x980px) Image search: [Google]
FassBesto.jpg
184KB, 800x980px
>>9258240
>age
>location
Varaždin, Croatia
The Fellowship Of The Ring. It's slow, but I don't mind it since it's quite good and Tolkien's prose along with his world building is great. I find it much better than it's film adaptation.
>>
File: Narziß und Goldmund.jpg (44KB, 304x499px) Image search: [Google]
Narziß und Goldmund.jpg
44KB, 304x499px
>age
>location
Germany
Narcissus and Goldmund by Hermann Hesse. There are roughly 100 pages left and so far I enjoyed the book. It went against my expectations though, since I thought it would compare two thouroughly contrasting lifestyles: the lust driven vagabond against the dutiful ascetic, but it for the most part it focuses on the former so far, unfortunately not really the latter.
>>
>>9258781
>Going to start off with >Dostoevsky, some easy one
Just read his works chronically, so you can't do anything wrong. I'd say all his grand works are on par, except Demons. Demons is a tough read, but even though it is the third grand novel he released, I'd still go chronically.
>>
>>9260410
In case anyone was worried the novel picked up really well and I'm glad I bullied through!
>>
>>9259388
>promoting narcissism and insecurity
>average to good looking grills get bombarded with compliments enough
>a good thing
For the love of God, I beg you to kill yourself.
>>
File: oh really.png (6KB, 390x470px) Image search: [Google]
oh really.png
6KB, 390x470px
>>9260410
>Stephen King
>literature
>>
>>9260530
Thanks for the input, Anon! Truth is, I haven't done any reading in the better half of a decade, so I looked over last year's bestsellers and picked an author I had read before to try to get back into it.

Sorry it's not up to your patrician tastes!
>>
>21.
>Australia.
>Life and Fate.

Really good.
>>
File: The Godfather.jpg (23KB, 334x500px) Image search: [Google]
The Godfather.jpg
23KB, 334x500px
>>9260537
I've read IT from Stephen King, and it took me eight months to get through it. So you're right in that regard to see repetition in his writing. King is everything but talented in literature, he even acknowledges that his books are equal to serving fast food. Looking at bestsellers today equals in most cases in vonluntary brain damage. If you want a stimulating read then go for the more complex books. If you don't feel to dive immediately into a tough read, then start small. Here my recommendation for you.
>>
Portugal
Factotum

Loving it.
Bukowski's characters and themes (alcoholism, depression, strings of women, trying to find meaning in the downwards spiral of life) resonate with who I was in college, so it feels...Familiar.
>>
>>9259865
you can't get old, bby, you're dead.
>>
>>9258240
>25
>Roskilde, Denmark
>Den sidste pæl, it nice, i enjoy it, a friend of mne wrote it.
>>
>>9260503
That's a great book. But I have the feeling that with Herman Hesse it's always the same concept that structures his work: the duality between two opposed ideas (good vs bad, human vs beast...). The only thing that changes in his works is how this binary duality is understood by the characters.
Sill pretty good IMO
>>
>18
>France
>The catcher in the rye
It's entertaining but the translation i have is really bad.
>>
>21
>Copenhage, Danmark
>The Obscene Bird of Night by José Donoso

It's a good book, but it's hard to read. His style is quite obscure. I think that the book hasn't aged too well.
>>
>>9261045
if you're posting on an english board, you probably have the vocabulary to read it. it's not very hard from what i remember. it's basically l'estranger in english.
>>
>>9259640
>repetitive. Not super keen on finishing since it is just putting the character in different scenarios in order for it to argue the same point subsequently.

This, you can honestly just go to the end of the book and read the ending, I was very disappointed by Sade, he seems known only for being degenerate, kind of pointless in the age of /b/ where greentext can be more interesting than an entire book by Sade
>>
>>9260530
First and last time I read a Stephen king's book it was a short about a car that eat people, it was worst than you think
The Kubrick movie was good though
>>
>>9260377
That's child play compared to what we have in Brazil.
>>
>>9258240
>23
>Norway
>Through the looking glass
I like the puns. I definetly look at it as a childrens book. Nice to have read the original stories.
>>
>>9261124
meme or leggit?
>>
>>9260041
>curious, what genre would you classify it as which you dislike?
SciFi is by far the genre that I like the most, so a more.. philosophical? book is kinda weird to me.
>>9260514
Thanks senpai, I was about to start from another and you stopped me.
>>
>>9261185
>https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mile_81
>Doug Clayton, an insurance man from Bangor, is driving his Prius to a conference in Portland. On the backseat are his briefcase and suitcase and in the passenger bucket is a King James Bible, what Doug calls "the ultimate insurance manual," but it is not going to save Doug when he decides to be the Good Samaritan and help the guy in the broken down wagon. He pulls up behind it, puts on his four-ways, and then notices that the wagon has no plates. He is then eaten by the wagon.
>>
>>9258349
>Eva Bartlett, an independent Canadian journalist
yea nah she is a known assadist. There are pics of here wearing ´I love Bashar´ bracelets
>>
Japan
The three languages of politics. It's an interesting read so far that puts political language into a comprehensible system of axes.
>>
>>9261049
Wow... A fellow /litizen in CPH :P Nice!
>>
>>9258240
>23
>Canada
>The Island of Dr. Moreau
>spooky
>>
sauce?

Also,
>One Moment Meditation
just bought it.
>>
>>9258240
>51
>Houston
>48 Laws of Power
Hopefully this will help me.
>>
>31
>Alberia
>Z213: Exit
>Mesmerizing
>>
>>9261438
you semm like you are a fag
x)
>>
>>9258589
>>9260041
>whatcha think of gargantua

Along with Don Quixote and Moby Dick, people have these preconceived notions about these books (windmills, crazy; white whale, homosexuals; drinking, pissing, farting), while in actuality it's one of the most affecting and human texts given to us by one of the most erudite scholars of the age.
>>
Prague, CZ
re-reading Fellowship of the Rings. Of course I like it
>>
>23
>Spain
>book by a Spanish guy that you've not heard about
>>
>>9258240
>21
>New Jersey
>crime and punishment
It's fantastic, probably the best book I've ever read so far. As a pretty jaded, kind of narcissistic introvert I find raskolnikov pretty relatable and dostoevsky is fantastic at describing the human psyche facing adversity, and paranoia.
>>
>18
>Norcal
>American Psycho, really like the writing style and dialogue, these characters are hilarious.
>>
>19
>Belgium
>La Chartreuse de Parme, and a book about maths that one of my professors helped write.

One is extremely convoluted, overrated, unreadable at times, and I would have stopped a good hundred pages ago if it weren't for the author's witty prose and interesting way to see things. The other is by Stendhal.
>>
>>9262037
Så er vi tre

>21
>Denmark
>Sygdommen til Doden
>>
>>9262085
>re-reading Fellowship of the Rings. Of course I like it
I'm reading it for the first time since I was in fifth grade. Just finished the council of Elrond chapter. It was cockle-warming when Bilbo said he'd finish the ring off. Baromir goes to laugh, but then sees how much everyone there respects Bilbo and took him seriously. Cute af
>>
>>9258240
>27
>Montana
>Runaway Horses. I'm too hungry to really get into a Mishima.
>>
>18
>OK
>The Instructions
It's damn good. I wish I knew more about Jew stuff, but Levin does a good job of giving contextual definitions
>>
>>9264342
I'm not asking you to go hard, but can you try to sell me a bit on The Instructions?
>>
>21
> Philippines
>Blow-up and Other Stories by Julio Cortazar

It's pretty fucking good, man.
>>
>38
>USA
>Donne's poetry
It's conceited.
>>
>>9264401
>38
D A D D Y
A
D
D
Y
>>
>>9258240
>22
>Deutsches Reich
>Angel Exterminatus
just a chapter in but unlike the previous 5 books in the series it has a beginning that is weirdly not as catching as expected even though technically what happens is cool

it´s just
i don´t know i guess it´s not particularly well written?

though maybe it is intended to fell like this seeing how this is supposed to be a "mundane and ignominious duty" as the synopsis implies
>>
>30
>Virginia, USA
>Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea
Good, some of the scientific ideas behind the Nautilus are going over my head though. Oh well I'm a pleb.
>>
rustbelt shithole
American Psycho

Ive been reading a lot of meme books lately.
>>
>>9264373
pls
>>
>>9259852
He has a pretty good day in the book.
>>
>22
>North Carolina
>Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

It's okay but nothing special. I did laugh at the >moocow
>>
>>9258240
Ohio
Anna Karenina - love it so far
>>
>>9258240
>21
>USA in a bumfuck nowhere town in the dirty south
>The Stranger (finished part 1 onto part 2 now). it's comfy.
>>
>20
>Brazil
>Brothers Karamazov

Really good. Was going to buy war and peace but they didnt have it.
>>
35, Cooranbong, Australia. The Martian (audiobook). Funniest sci fi book i have experenced since Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy
>>
>19
>California
>Crime and Punishment

Reading the last portion(book 6). I like the way Dostoevsky describes what goes on in the character's mind to make the characters more "human". Good book.
>>
>27
>Tennessee
>Rich Dad, Poor Dad
>>
>>9258240

>33
>Canada
>Skylark

Read it a few weeks ago. I'm still sad, even if it wasn't a perfect book.
>>
Kentucky
The Birth of Tragedy, Moby Dick, Buried Child
>neat-o
>man come on and finish so you can read Mason & Dixon with a clear conscience
>whee sparks coming off my heels
>>
>>9260480
top/bottom?
>>
>>9258349
jesus fucking Christ dude get off this board, You seriously have been here for eternity
>>
>>9266066
>>9258349
Both of you tripfaggots shut up the fuck up and post normally you attention whores
>>
Holy shit there are actually tripfags talking to each other with nicknames. I hope /pol/ does invade this board because they actually post anonymously. Fucking "butters" what the fuck is this homosexuality
>>
>>9258240
>21
>finland
>amerika by kafka, it's really good
>>
>>9258240
>26
>canada
>bully for you by dan burley
>>
>>9266093
>he hasn't come to love butters in all her incarnations
>he hasn't tried to be butters on lonely nights
>he cannot love
it's a phase we all have to go through, you'll have to leave and hope you're not contaminated yet
>>
>>9258240
>21
>Arizona
>Brothers Karamazov

I really like the plot and the themes of the story, but god, I hate Dostoevskys writing style. It's so goofy
>>
>>9258240
Dublin, Ireland
Foucault's Pendulum
>>
Wow, some of you haven't even gone through puberty yet.
>>
>Everyone posts nobody reads

Germany
Raniero Panzieri - La Ripresa del Marxism-Leninismo in Italia
It's pretty good.
>>
>>9258240
The Long Ships- very enjoyable book
>>
NY
Guns of August

Any recommendations on letters? I suck at writing emails and letters, I want to read some good examples of letter writing.
>>
>>9259388
>it is bad to view things as beautiful
>it is bad to view yourself as beautiful
>it is bad to make artistic commentary
>it is bad to make social commentary
>everything is bad, but most of all, you are bad, because you are wrong, and you are wrong because I am right
The day humanity ends will be the good day.
>>
>Americans only read entry level /lit/core
figures
>>
>>9267284
Bought that book recently. For Great War stuff I read To End All Wars by Hoschild and The Great War by Peter Hart. How is the book?
>>
europe
the gay science

it's pretty good so far. which surprises me. i was expecting more autism.
>>
Halifax - Atlantic Canada
The Brothers Karamazov

I'm loving the prose. P and V did a great job at translating.
>>
>>9258349
>fake butters gets all these replies
>>
ontario, Canada
how to win friends and influence people
its lit. i think everyone should read it. The world would become a better place.
>>
>>9258240
serbia
emperor the death of kings.
im really liking it but im not finding much time to read it
>>
nz
the tin drum, gunter grass

it's one of the weirdest things i've ever read. i'm struggling to follow the story and often finding myself frustrated but i'm somehow convinced that it'll become a masterpiece by the end.
>>
>>9265719
Heh
>>
File: 1410751002869.gif (1MB, 400x259px) Image search: [Google]
1410751002869.gif
1MB, 400x259px
>>9258257
For your own good, kid, leave this site.

Run. Get out. Never come back. It's too late for me - save yourself.

Trust me, you'll wish you could thank me some day.
>>
>29
>Texas
>Labyrinths, Jose Luis Borges

It's great. I've never read any Hispanic literature until now; this has been an enjoyable introduction so far. Borges's writing is unusual and stimulating.
>>
>18
>Montreal,canada
>les trois mousquetaires (The Three Musketeers)
i enjoy it desu, i used to read a lot when i was younger and its convincing me restart to do it
>>
20-odd

UK

Hard Boiled Wonderland - Murakami
Design as Art - Munari
>>
>25
>dc
>invention of morel
>>
>29
>Berlin
>Moravagine, Blaise Cendrars
>>
>20
>Chile
>Desolation - Gabriela Mistral

I'm liking it. The old lady had some serious depression it seems
>>
> 19
> Florida
> Kafka on the shore, its pretty good
>>
>28
>Alaska
>a fuckton of Thomas Mann and Plato
>>
>>9269792
nice, cheers anon
>>
>21
>Oklahoma
>Starship Troopers

Second time through it. Phenomenal book.
>>
>>9269851
read Armor and Forever War
>>
>22
>Vancouver, Canada
>Bible (ESV), Atlas Shrugged, Catcher in the Rye

I like them all so far.
>>
>>9258240

>24
>US on internship
>Collected Stories of Kafka

Varying quality. I like Kafka even when the stories are just nonsense, but goddamn if they make for some tedious reading sometime

>Investigations of a Dog

AAaaaaargggghhh
>>
>>9258267

word i live in DC--are you a student?
>>
>>9259972

those people are not the far-left
>>
Iowa
The Martian, it's a little cringey and dorky at times but it's essentially Series of Unfortunate events on Mars so it's k
>>
>20
>Indianapolis
>Kafka on the Shore

I really enjoy it. This is the second Murikami book I've read after Norwegian Wood and it's just as pleasant and interesting to read.
>>
>>9258240
ny
cow country
its ok
>>
File: 51CEpbv8E9L.jpg (51KB, 329x500px) Image search: [Google]
51CEpbv8E9L.jpg
51KB, 329x500px
>>9258240
>20
>Schofield Barracks, HI
>Asia’s cauldron : the South China Sea and the end of a stable Pacific
Just started, but I'm really looking forward to filling in the gaps in my knowledge about the region and using it as a launching point to explore the issues in depth later on.
>>
>>9258240
>22
>Vietnam
>Foundation and Empire
>>
>>9271151
I forgot to say, but I'm enjoying it
put off reading it for a long time after finishing Foundation
>>
>>9270985
I have read almost all of Murakami's books thats defiantly top 3.
>>
>>9258240
Toronto, Canada
Infinite Jest. I think this is some fantastic literature
>>
>>9270968
meaning as use bud, your proto-old-left dialectricians died a long time ago, the new left and all its identity politics is all there is in this desolate landscape.
>>
>>9258240
Busan, South Korea
Philosophical Investigations, prefer it infinitely to the Tractatus
>>
North korea

>20
>4chan /lit/
Suedow intalletuel robbish beuh
>>
>>9271672
>romanising the already phonetic language
back to summer camp, class traitor.
>>
>>9258240
That woman has suspiciously large forearms and an Adonis belt. Her chin bears the hallmarks of androgen abuse.

>20s
>Helvetia
>Les Deux Étendards. I dunno, I haven't actually started it yet.
>>
>>9259528
Bruh they just held a Congressional hearing about a twitter post.
>>
>19
>Argentina
>Foundation and Empire. Pretty good.
>>
>>9258240
>24
>London
>Future Shock
It's really neat desu, despite being written in the 70s
>>
>>9270961
No, I'm just a wagecuck now.
>>
Chile
Burned out of literature so I'm marathoning season 2 of Ren and Stimpy, is pretty good, but it was better when I was a kid
>>
>20
>France
>Catch-22

It's great
>>
File: IMG_2530.png (447KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2530.png
447KB, 1536x2048px
>>9258257
>9 years old

Fucking savage.
>>
>21
>Brazil
>Faust

One of the best books I've ever read.
>>
>>9261025
Sorry for the late reply, Anon - I though the thread died in a matter of hours after I posted, but it's still going.

Thank you for your insight. It is the first book of Hesse I'm reading and I had a feeling that there wouldn't be stylistic variations in Hesse's works - and your comment confirms it. I'm almost through with it, and so far it is, indeed, a pretty good read. No ragrets.
>>
>24
>Baltimore for work (work on house of cards), Jesery Shore currently (between seasons)
>Among the Thugs
Its book kino m8s
>>
>>9258240
>24
>South Africa
>Austerlitz by W.G. Sebald

Only just begun, but I dig Sebald immensely anyway.
Thread posts: 224
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.