[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it surprising that prisons resemble factories, schools, barracks,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: foucault.jpg (33KB, 400x280px) Image search: [Google]
foucault.jpg
33KB, 400x280px
Is it surprising that prisons resemble factories, schools, barracks, hospitals, which all resemble prisons?’
>>
Hospitals resemble more miniature cities tbqh
>>
>>9257382
>>9257382
hospitals are designed to always watch the patient. prisons are designed to always watch the prisoner.

this is the essence of foucault's theory of 'discipline' (power). that by being watched, we are subconsciously being disciplined, and disciplining ourselves, to what the person watching us considers normal.
>>
File: demiurge.jpg (125KB, 418x627px) Image search: [Google]
demiurge.jpg
125KB, 418x627px
>not surprising at all don't follow that thought there's nothing to be gained from doing so i promise
>>
>>9257374
You're using "resemble" in a pretty fucking loose way. Hospitals and prisons don't look alike inside, and my schools didn't look much like barracks either. Any modern building that handles hundreds of people doing the same thing is built along vaguely similar lines. Been reading about the panopticon, have we?
>>
>>9257374
Haven't read him Anon, but just because organisational trends in prisons do correlate and resemble those in schools dosen't necessarily infer anything that ominous. Functional places tend to be functionally organised. Am I missing the point?
>>
>>9257374
Did Fuckcoat actually say this? What a retard.
>>
>>9257374
Really makes you think
>>
>>9257785
>t. prisoner
>>
File: 18jf227tr5oj5jpg.jpg (39KB, 636x358px) Image search: [Google]
18jf227tr5oj5jpg.jpg
39KB, 636x358px
>>9257374
>taking a homosexual masochist seriously as an author
>>
>>9257785
He's talking about schedules, crazy
>>
>>9257374
>prisons?
Stopped reading right there, mate.
>>
>>9257399
This. Everything OP mentioned is designed to keep an eye on the people inside to make sure that people do what they're required.

Foucault does a great job reasoning why people at all of the institutions OP mentions are trying to get out.
>>
>>9257374
His theory of discipline sort of breaks down when you consider prisoners just go out to be criminals again, many times for the exact same crimes they committed before. And he stopped his analysis at the disciplinees when in reality it can be easily extended to the discipliners-- the guard in the tower feels the necessity of his watch, subconsciously being forced to discipline others by the socially expected role he has come to take on. Doctors correct patients because of their own status of corrector of patients. Even capitalists exploit and control due to the promulgation of the system that can before them. There is no originator of oppression and so his ethical arguments hold little weight.

It is comparable to the problem of propaganda over successive generations within an intelligence agency: the originator of propaganda undermines and destroys his own agency due to hiring out from the very masses he worked to manipulate; the same is true of himself and the propagandist before him.
>>
>>9257374
Rooms with doors?
>>
Not if you've read Michel 'Send Me Aid, I've Got AIDS' Foucault, it's not
>>
this board is incapable of any discussion it seems
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.