[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

everywhere I go I see dozens of books from the following authors.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: new-books.jpg (48KB, 640x365px) Image search: [Google]
new-books.jpg
48KB, 640x365px
everywhere I go I see dozens of books from the following authors. I lump them together as shallow pop bullshit that's just for lonely housewives, but I admit I'm completely ignorant and would be happy to try one if you think they're decent. some common names I see:

> John Irving
> Jodi Picoult
> John Grisham
> James Patterson
> Neil Gaiman
> Dean Koontz
> Anne Rice
> Danielle Steele
> Zadie Smith

any input? I literally know nothing about any of them so even if one seems out of place let me know
>>
>>9257190
Zadie Smith is out of place, sort of.

White Teeth, her first novel, was pretty good. I think she's kind of slid in into mediocrity since though.
>>
>>9257200
yeah, White Teeth, American Gods, and A Prayer for Owen Meany are the only specific novels I could name from them. The rest just seem to have dozens of books they regurgitate every year
>>
>>9257190
John Irving too.

He has a bunch of poor/pop novels but The World According to Garp is phenomenal. Read it. It's all about SJW run amok.

All the others on there are uniformly poor. Interview with the Vampire isn't the worst thing ever written but I'd skip it unless you are a grill. Koontz is probably the worst pop author currently writing.
>>
i had a phase where i've read a lot of irving. started with "until i find you" and liked it.
i think "the 158-pound marriage" might be the only book i've ever re-read.

so far i've read:
>until i find you
>the world according to garp
>the water method man
>the hotel new hampshire
>the cider house rules
>a prayer for owen meany
>a widow for one year
>the fourth hand

i'd definitely give him a try. he's not a literary god but i always got sucked in by his books, which i consider a good thing if you read for entertainment
>>
>>9257214
garp was great, i agree

i disliked owen meany and the cider house rules, though
>>
>>9257220
Irving was like my first "real" author. Before that I just read whatever was assigned in school and some hard science fiction like Clark. From maybe 17-19 I was all about him. Then Tom Wolfe until I got woke for real by Joyce.
>>
>>9257268

For me, Irving is the ultimate in comfy reading. I spent a whole summer once reading Garp and Owen Meany on a hammock in the park. I would meet up with my crush there and we would read together (the books belonged to her).

Basically, when I think of John Irving I think of that summer and I get the feel-good fuzzies.
>>
>>9257305
He's comfy for sure. Reminds me of lazy summers as well.
>>
>>9257190
Safe to say, none of those will be classics once the contemporary audience passes away.

>>9257214
>He has a bunch of poor/pop novels but The World According to Garp is phenomenal. Read it. It's all about SJW run amok.
If that's your standard for phenomenal, you're a plebeian.
>>
>>9257220
>>9257268
>>9257214
do u guys recommend Garp over Owen Meany? I usually use an author's most rated goodreads book as guidance and it's Owen Meany for him
>>
>>9257495
definitely garp
>>
Don't forget to add Norah Roberts to the list
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.