[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can anyone help me with exploring contemporary literature? People

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1478618471098.jpg (35KB, 300x360px) Image search: [Google]
1478618471098.jpg
35KB, 300x360px
Can anyone help me with exploring contemporary literature?

People make fun of me for being out of touch and only reading classics. I do this because I find them a safe bet, reading works that have stood the test of time.

The few contemporary books I've read have been disappointments: Knausgaard gets old fast, Michael Chabon is just plain unremarkable, and Junot Diaz is obnoxious as fuck. I chose those authors only because they're famous, and I don't know how else to discover authors.

I've heard awards are a good portal of discovery, but I don't trust many of them, especially not the fucking Nobel prize (they call it the NObel because you see who won and you say "NO").
>>
>>9254845
You start with the Greeks then you work your way up the canon. The way will become clear by then
>>
>>9254845
Who are these people making fun of you? They're probably plebs and their opinions are worthless.
>>
>>9254845
do NOT apologize for your patrician taste. working your way up to the present day w/out falling for shitty meme authors takes a lot of work, you're doing it the right way

also I keked at your NObel jab. strongly memed

in conclusion, change nothing about what you're doing
>>
>>9254845

>and Junot Diaz is obnoxious as fuck.

you don't like reading stories about a guy reminiscing about some broad that he wanted to titfuck a decade ago?
>>
>>9254845
Contemporary short story anthologies and lit mags are good if you don't want to commit to novels. They offer a fairly low commitment gateway to authors' larger works. Keep in mind you're going to read a lot of stuff that'll be unremarkable to you this way, but just as in nature where the most panoramic or serene locales are out of the way, so it will be in reading.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.