[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /lit/, I've made a horrible mistake. I initially started

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: mylifetbh.jpg (115KB, 610x418px) Image search: [Google]
mylifetbh.jpg
115KB, 610x418px
Hey /lit/, I've made a horrible mistake. I initially started college as a political science/linguistics student and I was thinking of a job either in law/litigation or somehow in some comfy research job, where I could have time to read and write.

But with all the pressures of having to make a lot of money and how insecure I was about job opportunities, I decided to pursue a career as a Registered Nurse. I thought it would be easy. They told me it only took 1 year. But now I'm already 2 years deep and I'm barely getting into a program and I found this much more difficult than I expected. What do I do? Do I drop everything and go back to what I originally wanted? Or do I just finish this up and work miserably forever? What academic jobs are out there?

Btw, I also stutter, so I had to rule out a lot of jobs that would require public speaking, like being a teacher or politician (which were some of my original options).
>>
>>9253394
Several important things that need to be clarified before anyone can give you an accurate answer:
1) Are you in a relationship? Are you supporting a child/family, or could you be in the near future? If you're single you'll be pretty nimble career-wise starting out, otherwise you definitely need to play it safe.
2) What are your university finances like? Are you racking up loans or do you have scholarships? If scholarships, how heavily can you abuse them?
3) Have you drawn up explicit course plans for each path of study you're considering? How many classes do you need for polysci and how many for RN?
4) Do you have strong academic connections in polysci and linguistics? Do you have good relations with professors or researchers, or are you basically on your own?

I feel your pain and worry about the future, anon. Even though political science is a meme degree, I will be nice.
>>
>>9253394
>should I swallow my pride and spend a couple more years in school or should I be miserable for the next 50 years of my working life
Hard to tell.
>>
>>9253394

do yer job
>>
>>9253394
Couple things. One, if you do something you like, you never have to work a day in your life.

Two, if you want to go to law school, a philosophy undergrad will prep you for the LSAT and provide you a cushy 4.0.

Three, if you want to be an RN, be an RN. There are money making opportunities galore. Because there are levels of RN, and because they are moving more and more work away from massively expensive doctors and onto expensive RNs.

If you learn this one economic lesson today, it will serve you your entire life.

It's called "sunk costs are sunk".

What that means is that everything you have spent in the past that you cannot recover is gone. The time you have spent in the past is gone. They are therefore NOT considerations for what you should do now.

Once you know that, do not look at the money you have spent or the time you have spent in the past, but ask yourself "From today forward, what path do I want to take?"

Sunk costs are sunk. Never use them for decision making purposes.
>>
>>9253420
Thank you! And well...

>1.
No, I'm not in a relationship or have a child.

>2.
I went to one of the cheapest community colleges in the country. I have 9K in loans though. I don't go after scholarships as much as I should but I've gotten a couple small ones. My parents make a decent amount of money so I don't qualify for any financial aide (though they're not paying a dime for my college).

>3.
I was about to get into the RN program, I had already passed the test to get in and everything, but I may have messed up in 1 part of the application process. Really I'm almost there, but by this dumb screw-up, I probably postponed getting in until next year. That's what's making me wonder what I'm going to do this whole year while I wait to get in again.

>4.
I'm basically on my own, though I do have some friends who are in it, and I've worked for a local political campaign before. Though really, I've kind of given up on politics. I'm far too radical now and was just thinking of it as a way to make a decent living without having to speak too much.

Thanks so much, anon. The pressures are great, but I think we'll both get by.
>>
>>9253490
Really, it doesn't necessarily have to be any one specific thing. I just find myself liking Humanities subjects in general, whether that be History or PoliSci, Law, Linguistics, Philosophy, etc. Whatever major I go into eventually leads there because even if I do take the nursing thing seriously and make some bucks there, I'll probably eventually go back to school.

I'm 21 right now so it probably isn't too late but I definitely have to decide something soon or I'll end up as a perpetual student ;-;

Thanks for your advice, anon.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.