[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've got two questions, /lit/friends What are some philosophical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

I've got two questions, /lit/friends
What are some philosophical works that need little to 0 knowledge from others works to understand?
pic related or unrelated? (to the first question?)

I'm really more interesnted in some new ideas, I know Plato is the basis, his dialogues just go on for so long, he could had made his points in a shorter way
already read theaetetus, that one was long but pretty straight forward
so the second question is (since everyone will tell me to start with the greeks) what are the essential plato works?
the "on sophists" or something like that was such a wank, I mean, yeah, socrates is a pretty clever guy, but I dont want to read a bunch of rethoric from the other guy, and they are just discussing ONE poem at this point
there most be more "important" dialogues than others, right?
>>
Well done, you have selected the greatest book ever written.

Remember to read the two Moore essays beforehand (a defence of common sense and proof of an external world)
>>
File: mo.jpg (30KB, 326x500px) Image search: [Google]
mo.jpg
30KB, 326x500px
>>
>>9251224
Descartes stuff
Humes stuff
Lockes stuff
Freges stuff
On certainty sure but you might not appreciate it as much
>>
>>9251234
>Well done, you have selected the greatest book ever written.
Do you honestly think that or are you just memeing?
I just want to feel that feel when you read about an idea you have thinked before but some guy a bunch of years before already thought of it and wrote it in a coherent way
>>
>>9251249
No, it is genuinely brilliant.

If you don't find it brilliant after reading it then you didn't get it.
>>
and hopefully are really short, didn't point that out in the OP
>>
>>9251272
ok i guess i will order it with my mom's credit card
>>
>>9251224

Pic better not be related. Dump that shit. Of course you don't need anything before reading it, but when it's done, you won't have read anything more either.

Regarding Plato, the Republic is not actually harder than other dialogues, it's just pretty long but contains ideas on various subjects. If you want something short, I'd say Gorgias. Gorgias also has the advantage of treating various subjects.

Other philosophical essays that need 0 to little knowledge ? I assume the questions implies that you may not be at ease with author whose prose is difficult, so Descartes' Meditations is a no. The Discourse is fine though. Hume is fine (Enquiries), Locke is fine (Second treatise).

I'd be prone to add Bataille's "The accursed share", for two reasons : it requires no knowledge (easy to read, not aimed at some specific philosopher etc.), but at the same time it's really a general theory of nature, society, man, well, a general theory of the world, both human and not. It's really thought-provoking.
>>
>>9251281
Just buy a second-hand copy from abebooks or download it from online, friend.
>>
>>9251314
>download it from online, friend.
yeah thats what I did :)
>>9251298
already printed it so meh
>>
>>9251234
>looks here's my hand
>external world exists
>QED

ebin
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.