[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are your favorite short books /lit/? Something you can read

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

File: 1488804020478.png (3MB, 1433x943px) Image search: [Google]
1488804020478.png
3MB, 1433x943px
What are your favorite short books /lit/? Something you can read in a day, less than 200 pages, preferably even less than 100.
>>
>>9250413
The Hour of the Star
The Invention of Morel
Sombrero Fallout
Loitering With Intent
>>
I must admit, if a book is longer than 300 pages it tends to lose my interest. I don't know how people sit through 1k pages of something.
>>
>>9250428
Depends on whether the subject deserves that much written about it.
>>
>>9250413
Most novels of Philip K. Dick regarded as good or great, like Ubik, Electric Sheep, High Castle and those collected in the three LoA volumes.

Borges. I've read Fictions so far, intend to read El Aleph.

French 20th century: Gracq, Tournier, Bernanos.

The Molloy trilogy of Samuel Beckett.

Kafka.

Plath's The Bell Jar.

M.R. James' Ghost Stories
>>
>>9250413
Do people really like reading novels that are less than 200 pages? I'm not asking with ill intent or to be a troll- I'm a new author and I've always thought that most people prefer books that are around 300 pages. That is my personal preference, but maybe i'm completely wrong?
>>
>>9250446
Thanks, I like Borges though I've only read The Library of Babel and Tlon Uqbar Orbis Tertias. I have a book of his essays sitting around I've been meaning to crack open. I'll check the rest out.

>>9250467
I can only speak for myself, but I feel like I'm becoming retarded by information overload these days. If I'm reading a book that I can't finish in one sitting, I probably won't get around to picking it up again for a couple days, and by then I'll have forgotten what I already read.
>>
Most of Poe's stuff
>>
The Death of Ivan Ilych
>>
Bartleby, The Scrivener
Molloy
The Loser
Invisible Cities
The Crying of Lot 49
Death in Venice
>>
>>9250446
I find Gracq's prose so lush that I can't read too much of his at one time. It's not necessarily hard, it's just that I find myself daydreaming, eyes set off beyond the horizon, mind trapped in his worlds, lost, numb, but in a pleasant way.
>>
>>9250538
>>9250421
All great choices, except Muriel Spark of which I hadn't even heard.
>>
Dream Story (Schnitzler)
Cannery Row (Steinbeck)
Solaris (Lew)
Rituals (Nooteboom)
The Great Gatsby (Fitzgerald)

One of my favorite works of fiction is 'Het behouden huis' by W.F. Hermans, but I'm not sure if there's an English translation.
>>
A Sorrow Beyond Dreams by Handke
Letters To A Young Poet by Rilke
>>
>>9250413
Caligula was nice
>>
White nights by Dostoevsky
>>
>>9250413
you can tell in those sculptures they knew the detail was an epic meme ahead of time. desu it just looks like spaghetti. they shouldnt have tried lol
>>
Train Dreams
Steps
The Bridge of San Luis Rey
>>
Nod
>>
>>9250467
only illiterate faggots like 200 and under page books.
honestly under 300 is trash tier and for losers who can only read fucking picturebooks.
good books are minimally 300, I prefer ones around 500. First thought.... name of the wind. If it's really good there is no page limit, I'll read thousands of pages.
>>
>>9250413

My favorite quadrilogy:

Tonio Kroger
The Sorrows of Young Werther
The Last Letters of Jacopo Ortis
The Confusions of Young Törless
>>
>>9250880

>recommending NoTW
>>
The Crying of Lot 49

The Stranger

Animal Farm

A Clockwork Orange

Diary of an Oxygen Thief

These are the titles that come to mind but there are more.
>>
robert firbank, the flower beneath the foot
jane bowles, two serious ladies
james hogg, ...confessions of a justified sinner
william burroughs, the wild boys
kenneth koch, the red robins
>>
The Death of Ivan Ilyich
Farmer Giles of Ham
The River Between
The Metamorphosis
The Communist Manifesto
>>
The Stranger
The Tunnel (El Tunel by Ernesto Sabato)
Crash by Ballard
Nadja by Andre Breton
Mrs Dalloway
The Foundation Pit by Andrei Platonov
The Alteration by Kingsley Amis
anything by Kafka
Agua Viva by Clarice Lispector
Sylvie by Gerard de Nerval
The Age of Reason by Sartre
Death in Venice by Thomas Mann

How can anyone assert that shorter fiction is necessarily inferior or less developed than longer writing?
>>
pedro paramo
>>
>>9251017
A Clockwork Orange is the biggest crap ever written.
>>
>>9250421
>invention of morel
?
>>
>>
>>9251869
rip
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.