[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could any postmodern work of the last century even rival "Moscow-Petushki"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: Москва-—-Петушки.jpg (76KB, 447x700px) Image search: [Google]
Москва-—-Петушки.jpg
76KB, 447x700px
Could any postmodern work of the last century even rival "Moscow-Petushki" ("Moscow to the End of the Line")?

Its subtle yet powerful mysticism puts Rushdie to same. The portrayal of alcoholic state of mind makes Lowry go back to the writing table. Capturing the spirit of the times - Vollmann's good, but Erofeev is better. Gass intended to write a gargantuan poem that is all personal history, spite, dissapointment, impotent rage - well, it was a nice attempt, but Tunnel just seems bloated and clunky when compared to this work. At times slapstick comedy with sinister abyss hidden beneath, intense sadness and insanity: you mean Pynchon? Him too, but here it does not feel artificial or insencere. And talking about insincerity, sorry, DFW.

The only work that comes close is Recognitions, but it operates in a field so different, comparing them would be pointless.
>>
>>9249068
Hah, you've got me sold. Are there multiple English translations or just Tjalsma's? And if so, which is the best?
>>
Altazor
>>
>>9249083
Shit, can't help you much with translations - read it in original. But it seems so, yes - except the few amateur ones, the only serious translation is by Tjalsma. From a quick glance, it seems alright, if a bit too strict. Unfortunately, it's one of the books that might lose a lot in translation - narrator's use of culturally-particular language, and I'm not sure that the temporal structure can be transfered to English - but hopefully nothing too bad.

I'm glad I convinced you. Don't read too fast - or multiple layers will go to waste!
>>
>>9249201
It's a pity I don't speak Spanish. Is it worth learning the language for?
>>
File: precood.jpg (41KB, 600x564px) Image search: [Google]
precood.jpg
41KB, 600x564px
>>9249068

hmm...

i am now $24 poorer bc of this post
>>
>>9249226

Hi, I've been studying Russian at my university for about a year now. Can you describe how difficult (in terms of the language, not necessarily the "ideas") this work would be in comparison to, say Tolstoy?
>>
>>9249068
Finally, some love for this book. I thought it was amazing in English translation--hope I didn't miss much. I should read it again. Any similar books, Russian or otherwise, op?
>>
The first time I heard of this was when visiting a one-man-theatre-show, where this german actor - drunk, sweaty and seemingly maniac - would play Venička and tell the whole book in two to three hours. It was thrilling, I bought the book and read it 4 times since then and still think it's the best book I've ever read. Actually trying to learn russian in order to eventually read it in its original language
>>
>>9250171
The language of the book is very affected - it's a deliberate mix of high style, common speak and vulgarity. Even so, it's not that difficult, you just have to pay attention and have a dictionary on hand; the text is very dense and some words can't be really understood from context. I think it is easier than Tolstoy.
>>9250627
Thematicaly, as I've already mentioned, it's very close to Under the Volcano. Books are at times almost isomorphic.
>>
нa вcякий cлyчaй бaмп
>>
>>9251247
Hey, fellow Russian guy, what do people read nowdays here? I sort of understand current American literature scene, but I got no idea what happens in my own country. Can you give any recs?
>>
Fuck off Ben
>>
File: 21392.jpg (17KB, 160x250px) Image search: [Google]
21392.jpg
17KB, 160x250px
Бъмп и oт мeн.
Cъc cмyщeниe пpизнaвaм, чe имeтo Epoфeeв нe ми бeшe пoзнaтo дoceгa, нo cлeд кpaтo пpoyчвaнe, peших дa пopъчaм oт Aмaзoн нeгoвaтa пoeмa в пpoзa - „Mocквa - Пeтyшки“,1970 г.
Cъщo кaктo пpи Зaмятин и нeгoвaтo твopчecтвo e цeнзypиpaнo и излизa в пeчaт нaй-пъpвo в чyжбинa, a чaк cлeд Пepecтpoйкaтa и в Cъвeтcкия cъюз.
Oбeзaтeлнo щe я пpoчeтa и нa pycки, aкo ми хapeca. Haдявaм ce, бългapcкият пpeвoд дa e нa нивo
Oчaквaм c eнтycиaзъм
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.