[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which writer writes the consistently best constructed sentences

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

File: Document_Writing_Img[1].jpg (63KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
Document_Writing_Img[1].jpg
63KB, 400x300px
Which writer writes the consistently best constructed sentences in the past 100 years?
>>
Joyce
>>
>>9247485
examples
>>
>>9247476
italo calvino
>>
>>9247530
examples
>>
>>9247512
Just pop open the last chapter of Ulysses my dude
>>
Tolkien
>>
Conrad
>>
>>9247530
This guy's writing is incredibly underwhelming compared to the praise he gets.
>>
>>9247476
Updike
p
d
i
k
e
>>
>>9247476
Pirandello
>>
>>9247485
this. I think Dubliners would be the best proof of his conventional writing chops
>>
Best constructed as in straightforward and robust? Possibly Carver. Lean, economic, incredibly readable.
>>
Kafka
>>
Borges
>>
>>9248597
Whatever you subjectively think constitutes "best"

Carver is a good choice
>>
Nabokov.
>>
Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Truman Capote
Ernest Hemingway
Cormac McCarthy
>>
Nabokov
Kafka
Hemingway
>>
Henry James
It's close okay
>>
>>9247512
I haven't read all of Dubliners, but Araby has some of my favorite writing. A few examples:

>The space of sky above us was the colour of ever-changing violet and towards it the lamps of the street lifted their feeble lanterns. The cold air stung us and we played till our bodies glowed.

>She was waiting for us, her figure defined by the light from the half-opened door. Her brother always teased her before he obeyed, and I stood by the railings looking at her. Her dress swung as she moved her body, and the soft rope of her hair tossed from side to side.

>We walked through the flaring streets, jostled by drunken men and bargaining women, amid the curses of labourers, the shrill litanies of shop-boys who stood on guard by the barrels of pigs' cheeks, the nasal chanting of street-singers, who sang a come-all-you about O'Donovan Rossa, or a ballad about the troubles in our native land. These noises converged in a single sensation of life for me: I imagined that I bore my chalice safely through a throng of foes.

I like this stuff.
>>
>>9248990
Imagine what it must be like to read that and be irish at the same time (that is, to naturally get the references)

wew lad
>>
naomi klein
>>
>>9247476
F. Scott Fitzgerald

His ideas aren't as deep as some other authors. And I'll concede his books aren't as dense with allusions and symbolism as someone like Joyce or even Hemingway. But make no mistake, Fitzgerald could write a sentence that made your soul ache with longing. And I'm not just talking about Gatsby.
>>
File: henryGreen.jpg (30KB, 326x499px) Image search: [Google]
henryGreen.jpg
30KB, 326x499px
Henry Green
>>
>>9249131
Malcolm Gladwell
>>
Robert Graves
>>
>>9248990
almost barfed
>>
> Dark and lovely tree shadows raced across the white gallery and the shadows of my two comrades continually glided toward me getting devoured by the pursuing shadow of the door frame. Then, all of a sudden, red signal luminescence rushed into the boxcar and flushed us with the blood of the entire world.
>>
File: MFW NO.gif (2MB, 280x296px) Image search: [Google]
MFW NO.gif
2MB, 280x296px
>>9250369
>>
>>9247476
Gass
source: The Tunnel
>>
>>9250397
>using shadow multiple times in consecutive sentences with no sense of rhythm or reason.

absolutely disgusting
>>
>>9250351
And if anyone's looking for recommendations, try 'All the Sad Young Men' (specifically "The Rich Boy"), 'The Diamond as Big as the Ritz,' or 'The Beautiful and Damned'
>>
>>9247476
>The water shone pacifically; the sky, without a speck, was a benign immensity of unstained light; the very mist on the Essex marsh was like a gauzy and radiant fabric, hung from the wooded rises inland, and draping the low shores in diaphanous folds. Only the gloom to the west, brooding over the upper reaches, became more sombre every minute, as if angered by the approach of the sun.

How's this?
>>
>>9248900
James died in 1916 senpai
>>
>>9250415
name a single good sentence in The Tunnel besides the meme "wildflower" one, the opening one, or any of the other meme sentences that people post on here as if they were examples of good writing.
>>
>>9247476
Proust. Julien Gracq. Bernhard. Kafka (third mention in the thread).
>>
>>9248990
The first two are purple af, but the third one is sublime.
>>
>>9247476
Unironically Pynchon.
>>
>Joyce
>Nabokov
>Proust

non-meme choice would be Henry Miller, plus he makes you diamonds
>>
gass
>>
>>9247476
Not you, apparently.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.