[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You learn more when you listen to music like schubert's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

You learn more when you listen to music like schubert's winterreise than reading any book. You learn more when listening to stravinsky's rite of spring than any book could ever teach you. Yet people value knowledge, as if the superficial, transitory things that exist on planet earth which are ever changing, could ever give you the strong neural connections created through listening to music. Have you ever been in the midst of a song and felt as though your brain was connecting in ways you never knew, and you were experiencing experiences beyond words? What it teaches you is beyond what can be regurgitated in a textbook, it shapes your brain in every conceivable way yet cannot be attributed to the capitalist bourgeois system, because it is pure knowledge, not superficial transient knowledge.
>>
>>9244116

what do you learn though? that it sounds nice? doesn't seem like much.
>>
>>9244136
"And here are trees and I know their gnarled surface, water and I feel its taste. These scents of grass and stars at night, certain evenings when the heart relaxes-how shall I negate this world whose power and strength I feel? Yet all the knowledge on earth will give me nothing to assure me that this world is mine. You describe it to me and you teach me to classify it. You enumerate its laws and in my thirst for knowledge I admit that they are true. You take apart its mechanism and my hope increases. At the final stage you teach me that this wondrous and multicolored universe can be reduced to the atom and that the atom itself can be reduced to the electron. All this is good and I wait for you to continue. But you tell me of an invisible planetary system in which electrons gravitate around a nucleus. You explain this world to me with an image. I realize then that you have been reduced to poetry: I shall never know. Have I the time to become indignant? You have already changed theories. So that science that was to teach me everything ends up in a hypothesis, that lucidity founders in metaphor, that uncertainty is resolved in a work of art. What need had I of so many efforts? The soft lines of these hills and the hand of evening on this troubled heart teach me much more."
>>
>>9244116
Does OP, by chance, play an instrument?
>>
>>9244489
Do.
>>
File: Engineer.jpg (44KB, 620x310px) Image search: [Google]
Engineer.jpg
44KB, 620x310px
>>9244116

Music is dangerous nonsense and 90% of it should be banned.

Over 2300 years ago, Aristotle spoke about music and its ability to communicate the emotional states of humans:

>"Music directly imitates the passions or states of the soul...when one listens to music that imitates a certain passion, he becomes imbued with the same passion; and if over a long time he habitually listens to music that rouses ignoble passions, his whole character will be shaped to an ignoble form."

Aristotle recognized that music communicates emotion, and that immoral music can shape our character for the worse.

Plato noticed the effect that music had on society in his day and made the following observation:

>"Any musical innovation is full of danger to the whole state, and ought to be prohibited. When modes of music change, the fundamental laws of the state always change with them."

Plato also spoke about the contribution music made to the moral decline of ancient Greece:

>"They were men of genius, but they had no perception of what was just and lawful in music...And by composing licentious works, and adding to them words as licentious, they have inspired the multitude with lawlessness and boldness, and made them fancy that they could judge for themselves about melody and song...in music there first arose the universal conceit of omniscience and general lawlessness; freedom came following afterwards, and men, fancying that they knew what they did not know, had no longer any fear, and the absence of fear begets shamelessness. For what is this shamelessness, which is so evil a thing, but the insolent refusal to regard the opinion of the better by reason of an over-daring sort of liberty?"
>>
>>9244542

OP BTFO
>>
>>9244509
Could tell. There are subtleties in music that most miss for not being able to experience it first-hand. Similarly as to how a writer can see nuances in prose honestly.

I've had similar feelings regarding music. How it is simply impossible to express via other media without it losing what makes it music. How listening to a song becomes a much more personal experience once you've tried to play it by yourself.

However, I vehemently disagree with your stance on the topic of books. Literature and music are necessarily mutually exclusive when trying to express each other, so you can't understand one through the other but rather transform your own expressions of either into the other.

In other words, they can describe each other but never define each other. This means that the things you get from them are essentially different from each other on the vague terms of "knowledge." A chord will never give me a metaphor and a sentence will never give me a melody.

On textbooks it is mainly a topic of practical knowledge, so eh.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.