[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I memorized the entire dictionary in two years after only working

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

File: th (1).jpg (8KB, 257x158px) Image search: [Google]
th (1).jpg
8KB, 257x158px
I memorized the entire dictionary in two years after only working part time and living alone with no pets or technology.

AMA
>>
did you memorise the entire dictionary?
do you have any pets?
do you work part time or full time?
>>
>>9242327
yup
nope
part time
>>
>>9242315
page 343 22nd row right column?
>>
>>9242352
Dollar or dollar day. Could even be dollar diplomacy
>>
>>9242346
did you have technology?
how many years did it take?
>>
>>9242357
I'm pretty sure you just made that up
>>
>>9242358
I mean i had a fridge but no phone, no internet access

Two years of 5 hour dedications to reading and copying it down

Probably should say the pic related is not the one I memorized. Was something like the Webster collegiate seventh
>>
>>9242315
How?
>>
>>9242357
Very impressive!
>>
Which is the best dictionary?
>>
>>9242402
Probably pic related, even though I didn't memorize it it has more than what I memorized. Mine was older
>>
what are some of your favorite obscure words?
like, really obscure
>>
>>9242381
this
>>
>>9242315
>with no pets
was that necessary? I have a pet python, he's pretty self sufficient but brings me much joy.

You should maybe get a pet.
>>
>>9242381
>>9242429
Every day I sat down and read and wrote 10 pages for 5 hours.
>>9242420
There are lots of words that I feel like were created for the sake of saying it exists. Off the top of my head:
Gabelle: a salt tax
Goombah: older friend
quire: dozen sheets of paper or something weird

>>9242447
I just dont want the time to feed them and stuff. Could also be expensive
>>
File: 1482559034631.jpg (9KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1482559034631.jpg
9KB, 250x250px
>>9242377
>memorized entire dictionary
>doesn't know what dictionary it was
>>
>>9242412
Why didn't you buy a good one?
>>
>>9242480
how well have you incorporated these new words into your vocabulary? Has this exercise made you a significantly better orator and writer w/r/t the time investment? Or have the gains been primarily in the reading department?
>>
>>9242517
i said earlier im fairly certain it was websters collegiate 7th edition

>>9242519
just what my gram gave me before she died. Figured id just use it

>>9242622
Extremely. It's given me more linguistic awareness and tools to use in my writing. A lot of it was scientific vocab, but I like the exotic things I learned along my way and I find it easy to incorporate in my poetry without being pretentious
>>
Why did it take you two years?
And what did you write?
>>
>>9242750
it just happened to be that that was when I had truly memorized it

I ended up with a 2400 page rambling absolutely pretentious and exotic stack of pages. It's beautiful and I hope someone is autistic enough to publish it. It uses every idiom I know, every word, mixed with latin vocab and spanish ramblings.
>>
Why you did that?
>>
>>9243031
to say i could
to expand my vocabulary
>>
Can you write a sentence with correct usage of at least five very uncommon words?
>>
>>9243054
"Junket to uncial, blithersome collocations of gerfalcons"
>>
>>9242315
Did you get anything out of it? Your posts don't really reflect a sophisticated vocabulary or deeper insight into English (sorry for being dickish, just being honest)
>>
>>9243074
I did. I'm not really using it only because so much is for highly specific things. It would just make me sound pretentious, especially on this board. I'll usually try to slip a neat word or two in everyday convos though
>>
Alright quick, what's the 37834 word in the dictionary no peaking.
>>
>>9243166
that I have no clue. I do it by page and column.
>>
Ok let's assume this is true. Why is nobody asking this, OP why did you do it? How did you muster the will of doing it?
>>
>>9242785
That is great, i kinda sorta believe you now.
>>
>>9243183
Ok, I didn't saw >>9243035 but still, 2 years 5 hours a day? Were you depresed, going through mental issues. I mean people have a really hard in general doing this kind of hardwork. If this is true, you really have great dedication.
>>
>>9243212
I was going through some doubts as a writer and I wanted to set a challenge for myself. It was more of a patience and meditation method I wanted to go through.

Would probably recommend if you're serious about doing it. Don't let it abash your social web though. I would just come home and get to work and then have 3 or 4 hours to read/learn something
>>
>>9243244
More precisely, what was your method of studying?
>>
>>9243254
well for remembering the book I used the "jounrey method"
I'd imagine myself walking through life and a page would be associated with something. Repeat till done

I think writing my incoherent mess was something that entwined the words with my own, too
>>
File: f15.png (108KB, 1200x1330px) Image search: [Google]
f15.png
108KB, 1200x1330px
>>9242315
I think I saw an article somewhere with the same story.
>>
>>9242377
seven up?
>>
>>9242315
Define exhorbant
>>
>>9242480
>quire: dozen sheets of paper or something weird
wut?
quire is not an obscure word
it is still widely used in publishing/printing today
>>
>>9244783
price too high

>>9244804
I'd literally only seen that word in the dictionary
>>
>>9244871
you're thinking of exorbitant
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.