[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does reading add to my life? Is it worth the effort of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 1488178480497-x.jpg (44KB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
1488178480497-x.jpg
44KB, 650x366px
How does reading add to my life?

Is it worth the effort of a man with the attention span of a gnat to read?

why is every lit reccomended book so fucking depressing? Being human sucks but there has to be some light in the dark.
>>
>>9239769
>Being human sucks but there has to be some light in the dark.
There isn't it.
>>
Honestly, I don't know if I have the emotional intelligence or maturity to continue with the /lit/ recommended list. History seems to be a series of one massive political or intellectual drag after another, and I feel like looking for any greater understanding will only lead to disappointment. I've gone through my "redpilled" phase, and though I'm out of it now, I find it impossible to return to a sense of normalcy. The only thing I've gained is a greater appreciation for Christianity, though fuck any of the standard denominations.

/lit/, wat do?
>>
>>9239789
>>9239769
Start by learning how to ask a question

Your questions are stupid and unanswerable so you will only get retarded and generic answers
>>
>>9239810

Apparently reading comprehension isn't required for /lit/. Both OP and I asked the same question: is reading truly worthwhile? If that's not a complex question with a lot of meaning and nuance, then I don't know what is.
>>
>>9239904
>is reading truly worthwhile?
yes
>why?
because it opens you to new perspectives and ideas, so you can stop being such a stupid mouth breathing sperg
>>
>>9239904
Its a meaningless unanswerable question.

>Is reading (a method of gathering knowledge/ideas) worthwhile?

Compared to what? For what purpose?

How the FUCK does somebody answer that kind of question without giving generic meme answers or projecting their own goals unto the asker?

Its one step short of asking "What should I do in my life?"
>Be OP
>Be a retard
>Goes to /po/
>Make thread
>Ask: "What does orgami add to my life?, Is it worthwhile for somebody like me to make orgami?"

>>9239932
See this is what I mean. A generic meme answer.

Empty questions get empty answers.
>>
>>9239932
>>9239936

Now I know you two are deliberately being obtuse. You both know that there's more to the question than giving generic and meme answers. You've both seen the context behind both OP and I's questions. You've probably thought about it yourself. It seems that every single time I come to this board, people become more and more miserable from what they've read. Every single philosophy just creates more unanswered questions and leaves the reader feeling skeptical about the capacity of new schools of thought. I find that I'm the same way.

What has reading added to your character, besides making you more miserable and dampening your forecasts of the future? If it hasn't, or if it doesn't anymore, how did you solve that problem?
>>
Everyone is reading these days... But not necasseraly the right book

I suggest you read the short story exclamation mark by Anton chekhov to give an answer as to why it is, that we should read and what do we gain.
>>
>>9240011
There was no context in thsoe questions...

But anyway, for example reading Nietszche helped me enjoy life more. From drinking tea, to walking, to having sex, it all became more rich. His "life affirming" thought and his absolute destruction of anti-life beliefs helped me get rid of thoughts and beliefs and practices that were hindering my enjoyment of life. For example the aversion to pain, with his help I learned the richness and depth of pain, that life was better when all emotional states are allowed to bloom, when all aspects of life are affirmed. He also helped me better understand and therefore navigate the modern world with his insights into everything from morality to art. He helped me better understand and therefore enjoy music. I could go on but I've illustrated my point
>>
>>9240011
they arent being obtuse because human beings arent lines you stupid retard.

fuckin sage
>>
>>9240112

>human beings aren't lines -- anon

Put that on a plaque and hang it on a wall. That's brilliant!
>>
>>9239769
I read because it's like watching a movie in my head :3
>>
>>9239769
>but there has to be some light in the dark.

Why on Earth would you ever assume this
>>
>>9240884
Darkness can't exist without light, kid, you'll learn that some day
>>
>>9240888
Darkness doesn't exist as such so any dependency is insensible to speak of
>>
>>9240888

Isn't it the other way around?

I find finishing a book so hard. I just browse 4chan instead of reading.

I've started like 6 pleb tier books in thw past year and finished 1
>>
>but there has to be some light in the dark

Unconditional affection.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.