[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Philosophers just flail about within the space of unfalsifiable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: 1489404600449.jpg (51KB, 343x499px) Image search: [Google]
1489404600449.jpg
51KB, 343x499px
Philosophers just flail about within the space of unfalsifiable ideas. This book is no different. Why do people take this more seriously than the man on the street's idea if they're both consistent with scientific consensus? Marketing.

And as soon as scientists discover more stuff, philosophers will stand on their shoulders and claim that, yes, scientists may have completely isolated the neuroalgorithms / particles for consciousness, but scientists can't tell us *unknown*! Science has failed! We NEED philosophy!

Note, I'm not saying that the scientific method can tell us how to live, or that science isn't philosophy, or that there is a single scientific method, or any over reaching shit like that. I'm simply saying that there are infinitely many viewpoints (and criteria for judging viewpoints (and criteria for judging criteria...)) and academic philosophy does not exhaust these. If you point this out to philosophy fans, they will go crazy because you're challenging their dominance of the discourse.
>>
>>9234627
>>9234627
>If you point this out to philosophy fans, they will go crazy because you're challenging their dominance of the discourse.

As someone interested in philosophy, I have to disagree with this stereotype. I'm all about interdisciplinary strategies. Philosophy is pretty robust, but it's "rules" are open enough that it can merge with and gain from science, anthropology, history, art, mathematics, etc.

I think it's important to recongize the limits of a field though. Science's "rules" are much tighter than philosophy or art. So it's a bit hamstrung when it comes certain topics (ethics, aesthetics, epistemology, politics, popular culture).

A lot of the New Atheist crowd seems convinced that Scientific Materialism is answer to everything. You can see this in the attacks people like Dawkins and Hitchens make on the humanities.

I can't speak on Dennet, but I really don't think history will respect Dawkins or Hitchens as anything more than pop culture figures. It doesn't seem like they've contributed much of anything to Science (not an expert on that, personally), or Philosophy (very certain of this) or The Philosophy of Science (which they seem very ignorant of).

On the other side of things, there are people in the humanities who shun science as a dead end. They're missing out and they can be equally obnoxious.

I think anyone interested in Philosophy ought to have at least a basic understanding of the Philosophy of Science. "What is this Thing called Science" is a great place to start. It even has a nice cat on the cover.
>>
>>9234699

I am speaking in the most general terms possible though. I posted dennet's book because it triggered me when I saw it on sci (inb4 trolling, I'm a litizen)
>>
File: s200_timothy.williamson.jpg (31KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
s200_timothy.williamson.jpg
31KB, 200x200px
>>9234627
Educate yourself, cretin.
>>
>>9234705
Yeah, I get you. The whole "I don't need Science, Philosophy has all the answers" and it's counterpart "I don't need the Humanities, Science can answer everything" are both really obnoxious.

I mean, maybe Philosophy can answer everything, but only if you include inside of it "Natural Philosophy" as Newton and Aristotle liked to call it, aka Science.

I think a lot of the tension between Science and the Humanities is a result of university programs which encourage extreme specialization, turning you into an expert on a small topic. STEM majors have to spend countless hours burrowing down into a single thing (liver cancer in rats, the applied uses of cobalt, etc), and Humanities majors generally don't have access to Science courses beyond the most basic topics.
>>
>>9234699
Dawkins' Selfish Gene/Extended Phenotype stuff was genuinely influential in evolutionary biology. but he should have stuck with that and not got all obnoxiously antitheist.
>>
>>9234627
Philosophy is a poor man's Religion
>>
>>9234627
I never heard of this book before seeing it posted here and I imagine I will never hear of it again either
>>
>>9236315
cool life
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.