[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have any philosophers tried to grapple with the concept of the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: cia cia cia.jpg (39KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
cia cia cia.jpg
39KB, 800x450px
Have any philosophers tried to grapple with the concept of the Holy Trinity in religion?
>>
Like theologians?
>>
>>9234267
hopefully one will some day but no philosopher has gotten there yet (that I know of)
>>
>>9234267
>Grapple
there's a bit of disagreement between denominations, but I wouldn't treat the trinity as some unfalsifiable religious concept.
It isnt mentioned directly in the Bible, it's just three aspects that are each(in whole) considered to be expressions of the multifaceted nature of God(in part).
similar to how a nation, say USA could in part refer to the whole of the physical land, or the whole of the people, or the government, or an ambassador or representative. The whole of those entities express the parts of the nation. "Nation" is too multifaceted and vast a concept to encompass or be expressed in a singular component.
In regards to God, The Father is God as we generally regard "Him". The Beginning and the End, YHWH. The Son is The Word of God. not "word" in the human sense of speech, but an expression. This is why The Son is The Word, they are technically the same concept. All theophanies that occur in the Bible: burning bush, God speaking to Abraham, Jesus Christ, etc. are God's Word; the "Son" aspect of the trinity.
The Holy Spirit is the effect of that word on Man. If there are no humans, there is no Holy Spirit- more accurately there is no "vehicle" or medium for the Spirit to be expressed. Gifts of the Spirit, God speaking to people, miracles, etc. are the Holy Spirit.
The Father is the Speaker, The Son is the Word, The Holy Spirit is the effect of that Word.
read John 1:1

I don't have a source, my dad's a pastor and I grew up in the church so feel free to disagree
>>
>>9234407
>The Father is the Speaker, The Son is the Word, The Holy Spirit is the effect of that Word.

That's considered heretical by most churches. The Father, Son and Holy Spirit are never separate, they are always one. In Christian theology any attempt to really understand it past "the mystery" concept is not well received.
>>
>>9234430
>That's considered heretical by most churches.
most churches resemble exactly what Jesus came to disassemble
>The Father, Son and Holy Spirit are never separate, they are always one
if there were no distinction then there would be no distinction.
but again, I did not imply "separation" so much as a multifaceted yet singular nature. I could care less what most "churches" think. denomination is an abstraction.
>>
>>9234267
Isn't it just like water/ice/steam? Same thing in three different forms?
>>
>>9234449

Okay let me rephrase. Catholics, Orthodox and probably 95% of protestants believe that the trinity can never be separated.

The other 5% of churches that divide the trinity or don't see god, christ and the spirit as one entity are almost always considered heretical. Some unitarian churches get away with it but most don't
>>
>>9234449
>most churches resemble exactly what Jesus came to disassemble
I didn't know William Blake posted here.
>>
>>9234484
point out where I implied that any part was separate from the whole
>>
>>9234479
No, that's modalism which says god is one entity that reveals himself in different forms rather than three distinct entities united in the godhead.

Virtually every metaphor for the trinity is top-tier heresy.
>>
>>9234503

By saying the father is the speaker and the son is the word.

They can't be separated like that.
>>
>>9234517
>In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God.
>He was in the beginning with God.
>All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.
you can sit there and talk semantics all day or you can put your big boy pants on and actually study it.
I didn't lay it out perfectly but I also didn't intend to spoonfeed you, just use your better judgement
>>
File: image.jpg (31KB, 480x363px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31KB, 480x363px
>>9234449
>Le hippie Jesus meme
>>
>>9234515

What about water at its supercritical point, where it exists as a gas, solid, and a liquid?
>>
>>9234267
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/trinity

a board of l i t e r a l morons
>>
>>9234267

It's pseudo-philosophical bullshit made to wow commoners and lead upper-classes to frivilous debate.
>>
>>9234430
>In Christian theology any attempt to really understand it past "the mystery" concept is not well received.
This is why the doctrine of the Trinity was a mistake. Now we have this idea that God's revelation of himself to his creation is somehow an obfuscation of his nature.
>>
>>9234517
Dude "the Word" is literally how Jesus is described in the Bible. Catholics and Orthodox are definitely okay with it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logos#Christ_the_Logos
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.