[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm 20 and I've never read a book in my life. I want

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

I'm 20 and I've never read a book in my life. I want to become well-read now.
Since I never read anything and I have a very short attention span, I thought about starting with books that are a collection of different short stories, like The Decameron, Canterbury Tales, and Arabian Nights.
You're more experienced than me, soo you think it's a good idea? Do you have other suggestions?
>>
Don't read those yet. Can you read this easily?

Whan that Aprill with his shoures soote
The droghte of March hath perced to the roote,
And bathed every veyne in swich licour
Of which vertu engendred is the flour,
Whan Zephirus eek with his sweete breeth
Inspired hath in every holt and heeth
The tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne
Hath in the Ram his halve cours yronne,
And smale foweles maken melodye,
That slepen al the nyght with open ye
(so priketh hem Nature in hir corages),
Thanne longen folk to goon on pilgrimages,
And palmeres for to seken straunge strondes,
To ferne halwes, kowthe in sondry londes;
And specially from every shires ende
Of Engelond to Caunterbury they wende,
The hooly blisful martir for to seke,
That hem hath holpen whan that they were seeke.

What sort of things to you want to read? Any interests?
>>
9 Stories by JD Salinger is probably a good start
>>
>>9231891
It's weird. If I try to read that in my mind i recognize most of the words through pronounciation, but I have to strugge to do that

My plan was to read book that are considered essentials/classics in their original language. I thought that by doing this i could become well-read and learn foreign languages at the same time
>>
>>9231916
I think your plan's are too grand. You are a person who hasn't read a single book and has a short attention span, and wants to start off by reading the classics in their original languages.

Start with a simple goal: Read a book.

Again, what are your interests? Are their any topics/themes that interest you?

Another piece of advice: if you want to improve your attention span, limit your time on the internet (especially 4chan) and meditate as a habit.
>>
>>9231927
Yeah I thought that it would have been too ambitious for me, its just that I feel like I've wanted so much time in my life and I feel so ignorant
I never had interests for any topic or activity outside of videogames, but its been a couple of years since i feel burned out and dont like playing anymore
What I did in the meantime was just browse 4Chan and became addietro to it
I decided to start reading books exactly because I dont have any interests, hosting it would make me better. As for themes i still dont have anything in my mind, exactly because I never read to begin with and so I have no ideas
Thank you for helping me out, i appreciate it
>>
>>9231950
Well buddy, you should start with something really easy. When you say you've never read a book, do you mean you have LITERALLY evaded all books in highschool? What was the last book you remember reading and when was it?
>>
>>9231950
*wasting time
*addicted to 4chan
*hoping it would make me better

Im sorry if Im writing like that, im on my phone. I decided a shit moment for opening a thread, its my fault
>>
>>9231950
Read this: http://www.copan.edu.mx/docs/Dessec15-16/TheBetAntonChekhov.pdf

It's a good short story by Chekhov, it covers autodidactism.
>>
>>9231955
>>9231955
Yes, whenever they told us to read a novel or anything like that, i just went online looking for sommaries instead like a shitter. I literally never read a book

Now that im in college it obviously backfired because I have to read an unknown philosophy book that I dont understand a single thing about, but that's another story
>>
you're never going to read or do anything if you need to ask 4chan for permission

enjoy your videogames
>>
>>9231969
I didnt ask for permission. I asked for advice to people who know literature more than i do. Thank you for bumping my thread anyway
>>
>>9231870
Start with contemporary short stories, not medieval work. Go grab literally any anthology of short stories by various authors, and read those. Take a first-year English course and do the work and reading.
>>
>>9231950
>Never read a book
>Short attention, so looking for short stories
>Only interest is video games

I know you want to dive into classics. Don't. Build up to them. My recommendation is to read the first Witcher book (titled The Last Wish). It's a collection of short stories with a link to gaming that isn't like any shitty game novel. While reading it, mix in stories from the Grimm's and maybe even some chapters of Mythology by Hamilton. That may lead you to reading into other societies' mythology, history or religion. Don't nail yourself down to just aspiring to read classics. Be a well-rounded reader without being a literary snob. We have enough of those already.
>>
>>9231965
What's the philosophy book?

Try the short stories of Salinger, Saunders, and Fitzgerald.

Nice jumping off point
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.