[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did Svidrigailov kill himself? He got more than enough money

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

Why did Svidrigailov kill himself? He got more than enough money to live that good life and a completely devoted 16 year old cutie, that'll do whatever he wants.
My first thought was, that he really did poison Marfa and felt guilty about it, yet he never showed remorse or felt bad about it once (it's not even sure if he really did it, but heavily enough implied for me to believe it), so that theory is out of the window. My second thought was, that he was so heartbroken, that Avdotya didn't wanted him, that he thought a life without her is meaningless, but that wouldn't fit his character at all ("Oh, I can have all I want, but I could not have her heart", that crap) and I think Dosto is better than that, so that can't be it either.

Also what's up with that "Going to America" thing?
>>
>>9231095
Spoilers dude come on
>>
He realizes he can't have the 16 year old cutie. I imagine Dostoevsky had him commit suicide in the novel so as to parallel Raskolnikov. They both go through the same problems, i.e. being isolated from society by their ubermensch philosophy, so it makes it seem as if Raskolnikov's only alternative to going to Siberia was suicide, which helps explain his motiviations.
>>
Honestly the only explanation i can come up with is that his own nihilism killed him. (its been like 5 years since i read the book and i don't remember all the details)
>>
>>9231150
>He realizes he can't have the 16 year old cutie.
But he already has her...
>>
>>9231095
I found this pretty satisfying http://archive.youngwritersproject.org/files/Representations%20of%20America%20in%20Crime%20and%20Punishment.doc

The idea is that America represents opportunity, and since all of his earthy opportunities for happiness have failed, he is left with the chance in death.
>>
>>9231373
>>9231150
You're right, he's a personification of the same idols as raskolnikov who could find no redemption because of his purity of character, he wasn't "schismatic" like rodya
>>
He had no redeeming qualities unlike rodia. He was just an empty hedonistic pleasure seeking nihilist with no real reason not to kill himself when he saw he had no paths left
>>
>>9231375
That's not what that poster means.
>>
>>9231095
The "going to America" thing is a metaphor for suicide. I believe there are other references similar to it in Demons. Basically the idea is that America was heavily industrialized and contrary to what Dostoevsky wanted for Russia, so that for a Russian to go there would be suicide. See The Idiot for lengthy discussion about the European railroads and what that means, and see his other works for some words about the industrialized Germans.
>>
If Svidrigailov is so ubermensch, why couldn't he just find new forms of happiness when he realized Dunya couldn't love him? Sorry if this is a dumb question. Svidrigailov still confuses me a lot.
>>
>>9232013
The answer you're looking for is Dostoevsky's inability to write a character separate from his own ideals
>>
>>9232045
Here's your reply
>>
>>9231095
> Why did Svidrigailov kill himself?
Are you sure you feel at home at 4chan?

> Also what's up with that "Going to America" thing?
It's just... I'm going to... America, heh. Yes, America.

You certainly don't belong here, budilia.
>>
File: fyodorbtfo.png (93KB, 560x488px)
fyodorbtfo.png
93KB, 560x488px
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.