[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /lit/, In the US you're pressured around 16-18 to start

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

Hey /lit/,

In the US you're pressured around 16-18 to start making strong, specific decisions about who you're going to be/what you're going to do with your life. At that age I knew I was a dumbfuck and incapable of a good decision, so I "put it off" with some decisions I knew would be broadly applicable. I figured I'd decide when I was 23.

Now I'm 25 and it's well past game-time. I'm trying to read stuff to help myself develop a personal code and pick a life trajectory (career pursuit/family/travel/etc.) I've been through Marcus Aurelius' meditations, Plato's republic, Franklin's autobiography and I'm halfway through pic related.

Anything else you'd suggest?
>>
For you to pay for the spoon
>>
The Letters of Seneca are good if you liked Aurelius. Other philosophies I like are Leibniz and Descartes.
>>
why don't you read some actual self-help books instead of crusty bullshit from 2000 years ago
>>
>>9230151
Have you read much Ralph Waldo Emerson? Try his major essays, boo
>>
Thats a bit too late for you to be an airhead interested in meaningless shit written billion years ago. Get a fucking job, nigger
>>
>>9230174
Oh yeah! I read one I don't remember which. It was great, though basically the same guidance my parents gave of "just fucking do you, fuck other people don't worry about them."

I need a wee bit more structure. Examinations of how to enjoy, how to love, how to be discerning, how to be fair and so on. Republic was great, ethics has been a little difficult to parse so far.
>>
>>9230194
what is it with pseuds and their obsession with greeks
>>
>>9230192
Have a job.

>>9230166
Self help presumes to supply answers about how to life your life; philosophy merely proposes what might be the right questions to ask.
>>
>>9230208
dude u are the biggest pseud, kys my man
>>
>>9230166
Self help books are unanimously terrible, but you're right in that philosophy isn't much better for working out your career
>>
>>9230350
which ones have u read? oh, none? well no wonder ur such an authority
>>
>>9230151
I did pretty much the same thing and now I'm at law school

I don't even want to be a lawyer, it just seemed broadly applicable.
>>
>>9230392
there are a lot of ppl with law degrees who don't work in law, look at kellyann conway, she has a law degree, or peter thiel has a law degree, pretty sure that jewish boxing promoter who controls pacquiao has a law degree, etc.
>>
File: you.jpg (71KB, 1024x512px) Image search: [Google]
you.jpg
71KB, 1024x512px
>>9230166
>>
>>9230357
Right, because people who psychologically buy into the culture of so-called "self help" with their own money and time are also unbiased sources.
>>
>>9230240
>u are the biggest pseud
yeah, I won't deny that.

>kys my man
Gibe book rec instead

>>9230392
Yeah I went accounting+finance and am doing fun stuff with a small VC firm. Money's pretty great but it's not really philosophically fufilling, so I'll probably switch tracks.

>>9230201
bls recommend
>>
File: 1470603048847.jpg (58KB, 390x627px) Image search: [Google]
1470603048847.jpg
58KB, 390x627px
>>9230166
>self-help books
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.