[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

H-hey /lit/ I'm writing a story about Greek-inspired tragedy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

File: 1476735684422.jpg (38KB, 370x478px) Image search: [Google]
1476735684422.jpg
38KB, 370x478px
H-hey /lit/

I'm writing a story about Greek-inspired tragedy

Want to read it?
>>
File: IMG_4144.jpg (59KB, 325x332px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4144.jpg
59KB, 325x332px
Post it then...
Some of us aren't brainlets enough to do telepathic reading of your story.
>>
>>9229298
Nobody will likely know me or ever care about what I write; but if I work this into something with flesh and blood and finish my writing, then remember I showed you my awful first draft of part of my timeline
>-20 GCY: After many years of peace, the Legions grew weary. "What is there to do, when we do not bleed? Are we to die of Time, not Spear? What honor is there in peace?" And there was discontent amongst the warriors. Chief among them, a black-haired man Handal. He declared "Alexandros is weak! Look at Us! We are the reason He is strong!" And many agreed. "Handal is right, Alexandros is the Fraud-King!" And they planned treason. Handal's band declared separation from the Alexandros Legion and independence from Custom and Law, swarming and capturing the coastal town of Nedlis, raping, killing, destroying many bloodlines. A high violation of the orders of war that kept farmers fed and warriors paid in full; the Order that ensured the survival of all. The cities were angry with Alexandros, blaming him, and decrying his ideals as the reason for this weakness.
>-19 GCY: Alexandros is beset by assassins while travelling to recruit reinforcements to his depleted Legion. His guards fled the veterans of wars innumerable, leaving him and Menius to fight on their own. Menius fights like a lion, cleaving two men a stroke, sending them to the Black woods. Alexandros whooped, the prowess of his heir was apparent to all. And Menius whooped, for their future was assured by Fate. And then Menius fell. Alexandros hastened to his heir, revealing his wounds. Only a single strike had landed on the boy, except this strike delivered a most vile poison: Wyrmblood. And Alexandros lamented, for their future.
>-19 GCY: Gaius Alexandros, blind with anger and lust for revenge, forgoes reinforcements and marches on Nedlis with his only remaining soldiers; the aged Wolves, barely a thousand heads, even fewer honed in combat. Handal recieved this news and rejoiced, marching to meet Alexandros with all his Deserter Legions, sure in their battle-tested men and bronze platemail. Men of Alexandros, outnumbered tens to one, feared no fate. None deserted, and all whooped before joining the field.

Don't plagarize me
>>
>>9229283
Sure thing Mr. Lizard.
>>
>>9229710
see
>>9229704
Please respond, I need to know if my writing style is annoying
>>
>>9229283
no
>>
>>9229704
>whoop

It's a bit annoying, but then again I can't tell what you're going for here. Who am I supposed to care about and why? I cared a lot for Odysseus. I didn't want all those creepy sex perverts to bugger his wife and maybe his son, too.

What am I supposed to get out of this, exactly?
>>
>>9229953
>he doesn't whoop
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/war-whoop
>>
File: stop_playing_video_games.png (250KB, 523x372px) Image search: [Google]
stop_playing_video_games.png
250KB, 523x372px
>>9229704
James Joyce guy here.
Who is the main person if there is one?
Give context aswell plz, writing is semi-good (by that I mean that your writing is a little-bit confusing).
>>
File: Michel-Houllebecq-006[1].jpg (37KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
Michel-Houllebecq-006[1].jpg
37KB, 460x276px
>>9229998
None are the "main person" of the novel the setting will be in.
Alexandros is the "protagonist" of the excerpt I wrote there, GCY is the year.

It's supposed to be my own background for the land the setting is in, written (in grand style) by the religious cult who follows up, as they participated in most of it personally. I take inspiration from things like religious texts and the Silmarillion with Alexander the Great and mashed it with Romans because it's easy for me.

I'm going to introduce this history somewhere once it's in good "Codex" style, as a way for the reader to themself be introduced to the history at large without it just being narrator goys saying "this happened then this"

The entire timeline starts with Alexandro's birth and ends with the Empire disbanding, but it's not very long.. I could post it
>>
>>9230047
Do it please
>>
File: IllTellYouHwat.gif (482KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
IllTellYouHwat.gif
482KB, 300x300px
>>9230425
if this thread is still up in the morning, I will, i'm still revising
>>
>>9230425
The following is a typical manuscript handed out to school-aged children, featuring an abridged history of our lands pre and post-Empire, mainly focusing on the rise and fall of the Imperial Age.
THE CHRONICLES: ALEXANDROS
-60 GCY: Birth of Alexandros Gaius to Gaius Vanorius and unknown midwife.
-46 GCY: Alexandros pressed into Wolf Legion due to manpower shortages.
-45 GCY: Death of Gaius in battle, leaving Alexandros to fend for himself.
-41 GCY: Alexandros Gaius given first command in battle after showing himself a capable warrior and leader.
-40 GCY: Alexandros elected leader of Wolf Legion by lieutenants after commander slain in battle.
-39 GCY: Alexandros receives vision, recorded as follows: "MEGOS! Free yourself from the shackles of greed, declare yourself King of Kings and rule as one whom cannot be corrupted. When you have proven your worth, speak to Us and We shall respond in Kind." To which Alexandros listened with haste, declaring his Legion to no longer be used in mercenary wars and his right to lead, so long as he treats all fairly and gives life to those whom only see death in this world. His declaration is met with great war whooping; not a single of his men disagreed with his Right to Rule and his Righteousness.
-38 GCY: Alexandros declares war on mercenary bands, of which there were many. His men fought, died, and conquered all the Legions of the River, growing more numerous with each battle. The Bear, the Falcon, the Snake, the Rat, the Ram Legions all fell beneath their spears. The Cities which hired these Legions to do their warfare feared this man they called Gaius Alexandros, and offered him all their gold if his Legion would serve their City. But he would not relent in his quest to end the City Wars, and they acquiesed. The Legions and Cities of the River declared an end to what they called "endless warfare between brothers." And all whooped for Alexandros, and their future.
-37 GCY: Gaius Alexandros meets and marries Lania, the fairest of the River. And all whooped for Alexandros, and their future.
-36 GCY: Menius Lanos, son of Gaius Alexandros and Lania, a strong child, blessed with the beauty of gods, was born. And all whooped for Alexandros, and their future.
-30 GCY: Lania dies giving birth to stillborn child.
>>
>>9232145
>assassination part makes this too long you've already seen it
-19 GCY: Gaius Alexandros, blind with anger and lust for revenge, forgoes reinforcements and marches on Nedlis with his only remaining soldiers; the aged Wolves, barely a thousand heads, even fewer honed in combat. Handal received this news and rejoiced, marching to meet Alexandros with all his Deserter Legions, sure in their battle-tested men and bronze platemail. Men of Alexandros, outnumbered tens to one, feared no fate. None deserted, and all whooped before joining the field.

And the Gods whooped in return.

And there was a great battle. The Men of Alexandros, skin wreathed with Dark Fire, grew to the size of giants. Men of Alexandros threw down their weapons, felt a fire in their arms, and were commanded to launch terrible forces from their hands. Alexandros himself shone with an unspeakable light, those who looked upon him clawed at their eyes. And the blood of Deserters fell from their mouths, struck by no force. Their greed was all they knew, until this day. And the Deserters and exploiters were destroyed, their insignias shattered, and their histories unwritten from time.

Men of Alexandros whooped their great victory and those powers granted to them by the Gods above, forever declaring their allegiance to Alexandros and his people and these forces which saved them from certain annihilation. They promised to teach the future the virtue of self-sacrifice, and preserve Their knowledge. These men heard the words of the Gods clearly in their minds, they saw the Glypths that Create and Destroy, and were called the Oracles, the first ones with Their power.

Alexandros captures Nedlis with minimal resistance, and executes Handal in public square. Alexandros declares the city of Nedlis is now Menium; the capital of his new Kingdom. And the people whooped unanimously, for their future.
-18 GCY: Gaius Alexandros unites River Valley cities with political referendums, citing the visions of the Oracles as leverage. This declaration of the Free Cities unites the River Valley into the first Empire.
-18 GCY: The Academy is founded by God-Speakers near the Sullen Gulf as a location to train future generations in their ways and adherance to the Laws of the Gods. Becomes capital for magical research in Empire. Unregulated magic is banned, punishable by death.
-17 GCY: Gaius Alexandros founds the Oracle Summit, a political group made up of God-Speakers designed to balance power of the Cities with the Lords.
-17 GCY - -5 GCY: Wars of subjugation declared against those who are hostile to the God-Speakers.
-5 GCY: Frostbite Dwarves pacified, ending the Subjugation Wars and marking the dominance of the God-Speakers in the public sphere.
>>
>>9232145
>>9232153
-1 GCY: The Oracle Summit, declare Gaius Alexandros the Megos, or Emperor-Speaker, of the entire known world. No local lords reject this decision, effectively uniting the entire Empire under the uncontested rulership of Alexandros. And all across the land whooped for Megos Alexandros, and their future.
0 GCY, First Moon: Megos Gaius Alexandros, at the behedst of the Oracle Summit and farmers unable to remember what season it is, declares "Lunar Calendar" reform to timekeeping across the empire. Later referred to as "Gaius Calendar Year". Passed by majority vote; some Oracles declare it "a countdown to doom."
2 GCY, Second Moon: Megos Gaius Alexandros declares an expedition beyond the Godfingers, this is the first of many Empire exploration projects. Reports show that beyond the Godfingers is a barren plain of little vegetation, inhabited by paranoid, quarralsome bands of ever-shifting clans. They are called the "Reavers," and further contact shows them to be adept metal workers, with many born into wild magic.
5 GCY, Fourth Moon: Megos Alexandros Gaius succumbs to illness in old age, heirles and childless. God-Speakers and commoners lament across the Empire.
6 GCY: Dollanus Tiberius, nephew to Megos Alexandros Gaius, is found by the Oracles. He is son of Tiberius Gaius, the son of Gaius Vanorius, a farmer from the cliffs of the Fingers. He is taken to the Oracle Summit and crowned as Emperor, despite his protests. And the Empire celebrated, for Dollanus was pure.
8 GCY: Dollanus Tiberius declares the first Imperial land expedition beyond the known world. Dollanus personally leads expedition party through the Reaver Clans, establishing diplomatic communication with many, eventually reaching the vast "Sea of Sand," as the Reavers called it. A large, rolling, shifting mass of Black metallic sands. There were multiple attempts to cross this terrain, but turned back when Dollanus nearly perished in the horse-trapping sands. Future expeditions reveal a multitude of minerals mixed amongst the Black and Gray sands, but the Oracles declare them "impure" and forbid refining by all except the Academy. Experiments and token expedition attempts continue today.
11 GCY: Dollanus declares the Imperial Highway, a paved road, between all major cities and trade paths, to be constructed.
13 GCY: Imperial Highways completed, leading to massive increases in settlement of frontier lands. Horse and carriage dramatically increases flow of trade between Free Cities and outsiders, spreading Imperial culture and ideals.
14 GCY: First contact with Silver Isles, peaceful trade relations occur despite differences in religious observance.
15 GCY: Oracle Cult sweeps over Isle inhabitants, old Sea-Gods still observed and honored by Oracles as "natural Gods of other names." God-Speakers declare Silver Isles part of the Empire. Silver Isle inhabitants reject to submit to taxation but otherwise accept integration, a status they hold today.
>>
File: ELOS GAIA AUTISM.jpg (441KB, 2400x1800px) Image search: [Google]
ELOS GAIA AUTISM.jpg
441KB, 2400x1800px
>>9232145
>>9232153
>>9232164
16 GCY: First attempts to sail beyond the Great Sea, ignoring warnings from Silver Isles Oracles who claim "nothing but death to be found." Only expeditions that return turned back before starvation. Other more well-supplied convoys simply never return. Silver Isle Oracles to head future attempts.
18 GCY: Ships pass beyond Shipwreck Cove, continuing to travel a moon's sailing. They report the blue and clear water of our seas begins to give way to a briny brackish sludge that roils as it comes into contact with the "shores" of the Sea of Sand. Only reporting survivors claim the sea unthinkable in its description, with great black creatures of the dark lurking the waters below, snapping ships into splinters. Shoreline is mass of quicksand, untraversable to ship and man alike. No sailors accept offers to retry expedition. Oracles silent on fate of expeditions sent before.
21 GCY: First sailors reach what is now called the "Sea of Blades." First expedition disappeared, no survivors. Second expedition disappeared. A shipwreck washed up the Scorched Hills bore survivors reporting the Sea being "like Blades."
22 GCY: First Bronzehull ships launch, a composite of Crystal Ore and Bronze, making the journey across the Sea of Blades. Sailors report rocky isles beyond the shore moving on their own which impedes landing men at the shore, but admit it was likely currents. Expedition party that landed on shore and continued out of view did not return. Rescue party sent to find them did not return, but one survivor. He was unwilling to speak of what he encountered, and jumped off the ship days later. Oracles unable to report on what may have occured, citing "clouded vision." Further expeditions into the Sea of Blades reveals the black terrain gives way to a bleached salt plain of extreme heat, hotter than the Sea of Sands. No expeditions have attempted to cross this plain, now termed the "Bone Wastes."

I'm still working on the rest of the political intrigue post-empire so this is all I've got to flesh out the ancient area of my l o r e
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.