[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw you read translations because you value human ideas over

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7

File: hamster.gif (183KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
hamster.gif
183KB, 960x540px
>tfw you read translations because you value human ideas over superficial differences in made-up words
>>
>>9227530

/lit/ taught me to at least vet and browse translations.
>>
>>9227530
>>9227542
So because of /lit I gave myself such a fuss about choosing my first reading of Iliad. I made the decision to read Pope first after comparing sections and reading about the background of different translations.

Finally feeling good about getting into the Greeks, I mentioned my latest reading in a thread specifically about Iliad and the only response to me ever was
>hurr Pope is not even Iliad.

I mean... Fuck this place for real.
>>
>values human ideas
>prefers them twisted and distorted
>>
¶ê?ü¦Nu¬‰?¿Eló¤2j а,Å…0§°ùxM@£V5Ëöw€½†dˆ:‚”0+Mð¡`7O1TÒZË®L4ìÇÒ¥§º`ºµ¡›¬š%ÊågI;osFiíú2˜Œ}>

Sure, for such a thing you need translation
>>
>>9227530
>Implying there are human ideas outside of made-up words
Shouldn't you be chasing that Athenian boipucc?
>>
>>9227530
>superficial differences
You have no idea how badly a translation can fuck things up beyond the level of, "I can gleam what this SHOULD mean" until you've actually read something in another language. Especially true for philosophy and poetry. You can get completely wrong ideas with even many population translations. Always good to at the very least find an edition with footnotes, any attempt at truly understanding the text needs a lot of extra input from the author to explain shit, not just language but cultural context you'll miss as well.
>>
>>9227571
Give an example or suck my dik
>>
File: 67b2efbb9c.jpg (39KB, 620x450px) Image search: [Google]
67b2efbb9c.jpg
39KB, 620x450px
>>9227554
Look at this baby, everyone. It's crying.
>>
>>9227554
Had you actually read about different translations, you'd come across the quote "It is a pretty poem, Mr. Pope; but you must not call it Homer".
Whatever, it's a great work of art and that's good enough if you are only starting to read and understand poetry. But if you're serious about reading Homer you'll definitely have to pick up a more loyal translation like Lattimore sometime.
>>
>>9227530
Fucking hamster posters.
>>
File: aah geez.jpg (28KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
aah geez.jpg
28KB, 1280x720px
>>9227608
no u
>>
File: 1486779417992.jpg (66KB, 576x762px) Image search: [Google]
1486779417992.jpg
66KB, 576x762px
>justify your fear of different cultures because of the translation meme
>read nothing but american literature as a result of this thinking

Anglos are fucking awful.
>>
File: spdo.jpg (80KB, 972x968px) Image search: [Google]
spdo.jpg
80KB, 972x968px
>>9227865
>Anglos are fucking awful.
>he said in English posting a picture of an American writer on an American site using a device invented in America breathing the air produced by American trees
>>
>>9227880
>everything you use was invented in America
>what is England
I like how these alternative facts goys are trying to infect every board.
>>
>>9228095
>what is England
an aesthetic nonentity
>>
>>9227530
LOL, what a retard!
>>
>>9227530
Die Sprache sprichst
>>
>>9227554
Best way to read the Iliad is to read Lattimore/Fitzgerald first then Pope second. After that, do whatever you want.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.