[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any /lovecraftians/ here? How did you get into his writing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: 1489294585166.jpg (49KB, 435x434px) Image search: [Google]
1489294585166.jpg
49KB, 435x434px
Any /lovecraftians/ here?
How did you get into his writing?
What's your favorite works of his?
>>
>>9226389
While this is up, anyone read Houellebecq's reading of Lovecraft?
>>
>>9226389
The Thing on the Doorstep is best. Any other answer is a memeing.
>>
start with The Color Out Of Space and work your way inward from there.

honorable mention: "A Colder War" by Charles Stross
>>
>>9226413

This is a meme post. The Thing on the Doorstep is almost as bad as Herbert West Reanimator.

My tier list is like this

>God Tier: Most of the large-scale worldbuilding stories, e.g. mountains of madness, shadow out of time. Nyarlathotep. Colour Out of Space. Music of Erich Zann.

>Good Tier: Most of the micro-fiction. Dagon, etc. Rats in the Walls. Dreams in the Witch-House.

>Okay Tier: The better of the low-end lol spooked ya stories. Cool Air, The Hound, etc. The ones that are too long to be punchy but too short to be the big mythos-builders either.

>Shit Tier: Thing on the Doorstep, Herbert West Reanimator, any of the stories where August Derleth took some words from Lovecraft's notes, wrote a story based on them, and called it a "collaboration"

I mean good on him for keeping Lovecraft's estate going, but fuck everything about August Derleth's own body of work.
>>
>>9226636
Cool Air's fucking gr8 what are you smoking
>>
>>9226389
A friend of mine introduced me to his work a few years ago. From what I read by him so far I think my favorites are Polaris, The Silver Key and The Color Out of Space.
>>
>>9226649
Good taste
>>
Cthulu=Demiurge
>>
File: cth.jpg (17KB, 220x268px) Image search: [Google]
cth.jpg
17KB, 220x268px
>>9227149
>>
Conan the fucking barbarian
>>
File: dream-quest1.jpg (41KB, 260x430px) Image search: [Google]
dream-quest1.jpg
41KB, 260x430px
All I've read of his is the dream quest of unknown kadath. The one with pic related cover. It wasn't bad. It must have had more than one story because I vaguely remember some of the stories people have mentioned, like rats in the walls and the color out of space. The latter reminds me of Cordwainer Smith, in hindsight.

And my other mental association with Lovecraft is this random obscure Japanese TV show where a girl starts reading poetry on a stage and turns out, it's a Japanese translation of a lovecraft poem.
I found it:
https://youtu.be/yTro1Gzreuo?t=12m58s
It's actually 2 poems.
"A reservoir of darkness black..." etc., and at the end,
"That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange eons even death may die"
Turns out the guy who wrote the script, Chiaki Konaka, was a Lovecraftian in addition to being a Carrollian.
>>
Friend of mine rec'd him with me being a metalhead and all. Bought a collection and started reading.
Personal favorites are:
Reanimator
The Color out of Space
Dunwich Horror
From Beyond
The Dreams in the Witch House
And maybe Pickmans Model and the main Dream Cycle stories.
>>
>>9226636
Oh yeah, forgot about Eric Zahn and Nyarlathotep. Great stories.
>>
>>9226389
What's the best collected works to buy?
I wanna read some Lovecraft and tried doing so online, but reading off a screen is annoying. So, what should I buy to get the most bang for my buck?
>>
>>9227474
This might help.

https://youtu.be/j22SJ-TSw8A
>>
>>9227493
Cool. Thank you.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.